Paleo - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Fitness and Nutrition > Paleo

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-18-2014, 08:20 PM   #1
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

My girlfriend and I just started the a paleo type diet. We are still eating the leftover breads/Oreos her mom just sent us but I think this will work out well.

There is an app she has on her ipad called Paleo Plate and it's had some pretty damn good stuff on it so far.

Gives you meals with all meats including breakfast and dessert.

So, the first thing I made after going shopping was a breakfast casserole. Sounds lame, but damn it's tasty.

Basically a big handful of spinach and chopped onions covered with egg and baked. I'll hop on my tablet and get the recipe typed out for you guys.

Recipe: It doesn't call for meat but I brown up a pound of ground turkey seasoned with garlic powder and siriacha and add it to the mix.

1. Use coconut oil to grease a baking dish.
2. Throw in a big ol handful of spinach and mix chopped onions in with it.
3. Add turkey on top
4. Pour egg and coconut milk mix, with a dash of salt over the items in the baking dish. I use 6 or so eggs and a cup of milk(makes it sweeter)
5. Bake at 400 for 25-30 min or until eggs have set. Whichever comes first.

You're supposed to top with fresh avocado but I haven't done that yet. The one in the oven right now has red bell peppers in it as well. Those are left over from the meatloaf I made so I don't know how that will turn out.

Second thing I made, Pad Tai Chicken. Oh baby. If you want the recipe just let me know as I'll have to copy that for you.

Meat loaf is in the oven right now so I'm still waiting on the verdict for that one.

I'm pleasantly surprised at how good an easy some of these recipes are to make. The only problem I'm going to have with it is making sure I have breakfast food ready to go because I don't have time to cook a lot in the morning and that I make enough for leftovers for lunch when I'm at work because the way I cook makes these take a little bit longer because I pull the meat straight out of the freezer so it has to defrost before I can cook it which means I won't be able to complete a recipe on my hour lunch . With a little more planning I'm sure the next few weeks and the next few meals will go a lot smoother.

Unread 06-24-2014, 01:35 PM   #2
Agony Wagon
Anti-Seizeaholic

1995 XJ Cherokee 

I've been avoiding sugar, legumes and grains for several weeks now. Well, mostly. After the first week it was pretty easy to do. I still need to get rid of the vegetable oil in my kitchen.
I haven't completely eliminated these things from my diet, but they are drastically lower than they were. I get some white rice once a week, because I eat sushi and it is wrapped in a little bit of rice. I have peanuts a couple times a week. I'll cheat once in a while for special occasions. I eat a lot of dairy because I love it and have no issue digesting it. I haven't bothered looking up any paleo recipes. Almost never cook by recipe anyway. I think my pants are getting a little more loose in the waist. I'm definitely not as hungry as I used to be, and that's the most noticeable thing. Half the time I forget to eat lunch. Been eating at Boston Market a lot more. Chicken + veggies, ready to go, tasty and priced right. I almost never eat potatoes anymore, even though they are permissible. I probably need to shift my balance of meat and veggies soon.
Agony Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2014, 05:36 PM   #3
Pokey02
2013 JK Wrangler 

Ive been following a paleo sort of diet for nearly 2 years. I find the key to breakfast is to have some leftovers on hand. Or I typically cook a pound of ground beef and keep it in the fridge. Then in the morning, I cook some veggies in coconut oil and add some of the ground beef with some spices. Takes all of 15 mins and it's a nice filling meal.

There are several websites out there with good recipes.

One of my favorite sites is everydaypaleo.com. The meals are easy to make and have lots of flavor.

02 Black Sahara with 35s, long arms and other stuff (sold)
Pokey02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2014, 07:41 AM   #4
Marinerider
2007 JK Wrangler 

My wife and I did strict Paleo for about a year and got tired of it. We've adjusted it now to minimal sugar and only whole grains, I.e. quinoa and complex carbs such as sweet potatoes.

The biggest thing we've found to stay with it are the cheat meals. I don't do a cheat day. I spread out three cheat meals over the course of the week.

Also always have food available. If you're never hungry you're much less likely to want to cheat.

Pete
Marinerider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2014, 10:20 PM   #5
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I'm not doing it strictly. Honestly, the only reason I did it at all was because of my girlfriend. But we all know how that story goes. It's still nice to have good stuff to cook so I'll stick with it just for simplicity and change.

The meatloaf was really good.
Made some chicken currie and spaghetti with carrot noodles that are both good as well. These are things I'll make again so it's not a lost cause.
Unread 07-05-2014, 05:43 AM   #6
Jetscuh
O rly?

I eat mostly Paleo. Every few weeks something may sneak in like pizza, ice cream, or some other treat.

I cook a lot of simple things using lean ground turkey such as meatballs with zucchini noodles, stuffed peppers, and meatloaf.

It's easy enough just to cook a meat and do two vegetable sides, or a stir fry. I don't find paleo to be hard or inconvenient. I always keep snacks on hand so I don't have to worry about choosing the wrong thing out of convenience when not at home. My body feels better with little to no grains, and less bloated. I did initially lose weight as well.

There are many good websites like nomnompaleo.com, paleomg.com, stupideasypaleo.com, and just Google-ing.

Even if you end up not following it strictly, it's good to keep grain, processed foods, and sugar intake low. It's more of a lifestyle than a diet.
Jetscuh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2014, 02:07 PM   #7
darylm74
2011 JK Wrangler 

I have been eating Paleo for 3 1/2 years. I would suggest the primal blueprint over strict paleo, though am working on a Whole 30 (super strict paleo) right now. Primal is usually little more lenient on things like dark chocolate, wine and butter. I also have the occassional beer but I found out that I am gluten sensitive and avoid it as much as possible. In a year's time I dropped from 265 to 195 and with Crossfit, I leveled out to 185. I was 185 a previous time in my life but am a lot leaner than I was before. It definitely works and you will find things like odd aches, poor skin and generally feeling like crap goes away with a paleo diet.
darylm74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2014, 08:48 PM   #8
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

So I haven't really been sticking to this. It's far easier to say yes to bagels and cereal instead of frying eggs or making the casserole.

However, since I do 98% of the cooking, I'm going to change it up a lot more from now on. So I'll be back at a more pale based diet, although I'll still have rice and sauces because I have horrible will power.

The main problem I have is that I hate making complicated and time consuming stuff. Even frying eggs suck because you need to wash the dishes afterwards.
Unread 08-09-2014, 07:28 AM   #9
pentastarguy
Web Wheeler
2012 JK Wrangler 

sounds a lot like the atkins diet. just stop eating "junk, simple carbs" and choose healthy fats.
pentastarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2014, 09:30 AM   #10
paroxysym
2007 WK 

ive been doing a modified paleo diet for the past 3 weeks or so.. i cut out vegetable oil and switched to olive oil with everything. i also cut bread, legumes and most sugars. there are natural sugars in fruits and such. i really havent noticed much of a change in my weight, i did start gymming it this week for the first time in 2 months and im hoping ill drop some weight eating cleaner. i use the "is this paleo" app while at the store to check and see what im buying is considered paleo. for my size i know im not getting 300g of protein but im taking in 1700 or less cals on this diet... its not that hard, just hoping for some change
Unread 08-14-2014, 10:49 AM   #11
Jetscuh
O rly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paroxysym View Post
ive been doing a modified paleo diet for the past 3 weeks or so.. i cut out vegetable oil and switched to olive oil with everything. i also cut bread, legumes and most sugars. there are natural sugars in fruits and such. i really havent noticed much of a change in my weight, i did start gymming it this week for the first time in 2 months and im hoping ill drop some weight eating cleaner. i use the "is this paleo" app while at the store to check and see what im buying is considered paleo. for my size i know im not getting 300g of protein but im taking in 1700 or less cals on this diet... its not that hard, just hoping for some change
What are you regularly eating? What kind of work out routine?
Unread 08-14-2014, 12:31 PM   #12
paroxysym
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetscuh View Post
What are you regularly eating? What kind of work out routine?
honestly my daily meals include eggs/turkey sausage/chicken/broccoli/turkey meatballs/tilapia/more chicken/asparagus... ocassionally ill sneak in a protein shake, some almonds/cashews/banana here and there. so my food intake is pretty generic and its pretty much the same thing on a daily basis.

as for my work out- 35-45min of cardio on cardio days, if i get up in the morning ill jog/power walk for an hr or until i do 3 miles. if im lifting ill get a mile in and go lift at a hard pace(20 sec rest between sets) and then maybe do another 10min of cardio before i head out the door.

like i said i just started doing paleo and actually lifting and working out again..

trying to lose at least 50-60 within the next year. i know its possible ive done it before. lol
img_1971.jpg  
Unread 08-14-2014, 12:45 PM   #13
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I'd skip the cardio after weights if you're trying to gain mass through muscle.
Unread 08-14-2014, 01:17 PM   #14
Jetscuh
O rly?

Are you looking to gain mass or cut? Or both?
Unread 08-14-2014, 01:35 PM   #15
paroxysym
2007 WK 

maintain what i have and cut what i can... badly. like in that pic on the right im 270-275, id like to get back into that range if not smaller. with my schedule im lucky to get 2 days of actual lifting in

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.