New to the Gym Scene - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Fitness and Nutrition > New to the Gym Scene

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-24-2013, 10:11 PM   #16
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvanwie View Post
Doesn't sound familiar at all. It makes no sense whatsoever. Just think about it. 20g every three hours. That's a MAX of 160g a day. And that's if they're awake 24 hours a day...
You think you process 100% or even 80% of what you intake as far as nutrients go? Just think about it, waste is what your body can't process. You should drink 96oz of water a day, how much do you think you pee out? I promise you're not absorbing 100% of that either. Protein is not a primary source of fuel for energy alone, and is great for muscle repair. Here's a quick clip of another article I found

"How much and when to take?
Studies have examined a wide range of doses. More is not necessarily better. It appears about 20-25 grams of protein maximizes the increase in protein synthesis in young healthy people, and older individuals may benefit from up to 40 grams at a time since their response to protein is blunted compared to younger people. Excessive intakes higher than these amounts results in most of the protein being used as fuel. As far as timing, if muscle building is a goal, consume 20-25 grams immediately after exercise. You may also consider consuming a smaller dose before exercise to take advantage of greater blood flow to active muscles, and thus delivery of amino acids to muscle. For weight loss, whey protein can serve as a good base for a meal replacement or a snack between meals. "article here

and another stating similar findings
"Six healthy young men reported to the laboratory on 5 separate occasions to perform an intense bout of leg-based resistance exercise. After exercise, participants consumed, in a randomized order, drinks containing 0, 5, 10, 20, or 40g whole egg protein. Protein synthesis and whole-body leucine oxidation were measured over 4 h after exercise by a primed constant infusion of leucine.

APS increased in a dose-dependent manner and also reached a plateau at 20g ingested protein. Leucine oxidation was significantly increased after 20 and 40g protein were ingested.

Ingestion of 20 g intact protein is sufficient to maximally stimulate MPS and APS after resistance exercise. Phosphorylation of candidate signaling proteins was not enhanced with any dose of protein ingested, which suggested that the stimulation of MPS after resistance exercise may be related to amino acid availability. Finally, dietary protein consumed after exercise in excess of the rate at which it can be incorporated into tissue protein stimulates irreversible oxidation."article here

Seems they're saying too much protein can be a problem. Interesting to read about.

A constant stream of nutrients allows the body to keep the metabolism high and to use the food coming into to be converted to food instead of your fat/muscle.

On a quick google search, i'm seeing the current numbers are closer to .8g per pound of "fat-free or ideal" body weight (not current) as opposed to 2 grams, so I was wrong. About that.

Unread 07-25-2013, 08:03 PM   #17
ChanWK
2005 WK 

So my friend leaves back to Canada in a week so I couldn't justify buying a gym pass for a week without having a gym buddy. My hope is to find one at college and start working out. The reason I think im not getting enough protein is I'm somewhat a picky eater. But I have been drinking more water and eating more.
ChanWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2013, 08:07 PM   #18
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Not having a partner isn't an excuse. I've been lifting alone for over a year now.

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2013, 08:21 PM   #19
BamaJeepman21
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvanwie View Post
Not having a partner isn't an excuse. I've been lifting alone for over a year now.
I highly recommend starting with a partner. It'll definitely help him learn and get his form right.

-Jack
BamaJeepman21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2013, 08:46 PM   #20
StuddMuffinz
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaJeepman21 View Post

I highly recommend starting with a partner. It'll definitely help him learn and get his form right.
x2

Learn to do things right or not at all.
Unread 07-26-2013, 10:35 AM   #21
happymudder10
2003 TJ Wrangler 

You can also learn to do things right by reading books, watching youtube videos and most importantly using little weight until you get the technique down. And a partner that doesn't know how to lift is just like having no partner at all.

Being a picky eater and trying to gain weight do not go together. I eat all day. More than half the time when I have a meal, I am still full from the previous meal. (Think how you feel right after your Thanksgiving dinner and feeding yourself 600+ calories on top of that) It is not fun at all. I sit down to eat and I dread it more than a workout, then (just like at the gym) I'm about half way through and "see the light at the end" and I get that extra energy to push through.

When you are bulking, don't worry about how food tastes. Look at food as a fuel. Your body needs it to grow and you have to eat it. This is not going out to eat and enjoying a tasty meal.
Unread 07-26-2013, 11:15 AM   #22
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by happymudder10 View Post
You can also learn to do things right by reading books, watching youtube videos and most importantly using little weight until you get the technique down. And a partner that doesn't know how to lift is just like having no partner at all.

Being a picky eater and trying to gain weight do not go together. I eat all day. More than half the time when I have a meal, I am still full from the previous meal. (Think how you feel right after your Thanksgiving dinner and feeding yourself 600+ calories on top of that) It is not fun at all. I sit down to eat and I dread it more than a workout, then (just like at the gym) I'm about half way through and "see the light at the end" and I get that extra energy to push through.

When you are bulking, don't worry about how food tastes. Look at food as a fuel. Your body needs it to grow and you have to eat it. This is not going out to eat and enjoying a tasty meal.
x2 on the you dont need a partner. I rarely lift with anyone, usually prefer it that way. Although it's nice because it brings out your competitive side (or at least mine). Having a partner does help for many people especially when you're just starting out and keeping you motivated and learning proper lifting techniques.

I'm a picky eater too, so guess what, I make my own food and I eat it. Plan ahead. Sometimes I don't want to eat brown rice. Well I do. It's healthy fuel and it's required for me to gain weight.
Unread 07-30-2013, 09:34 PM   #23
ChanWK
2005 WK 

So just a quick update since I haven't justified buying a gym pass for a month I've gone to this thing called November Project, free workouts and they're not easy too. It's not a gym but kind of a group of people just show up and workout together somewhere in town and its probably one of the coolest things I've done.
Unread 07-31-2013, 12:04 AM   #24
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChanWK View Post
So just a quick update since I haven't justified buying a gym pass for a month I've gone to this thing called November Project, free workouts and they're not easy too. It's not a gym but kind of a group of people just show up and workout together somewhere in town and its probably one of the coolest things I've done.
there's lots of 10 bucks a month gym. But better then nothing keep it up!
Unread 07-31-2013, 07:14 PM   #25
ChanWK
2005 WK 

Went to November project today ran 37 sections of stairs in about 45 minutes. Definately room for improvement but still a hard workout

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.