New to the Gym Scene - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Fitness and Nutrition > New to the Gym Scene

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!

Unread 07-21-2013, 09:47 PM   #1
ChanWK
2005 WK 

New to the Gym Scene

Hey all new to this part of JeepForum,

I'm 18 years old, 5'8", and weigh around 130 lbs. I'm a pretty skinny guy and am hoping to gain some weight and hopefully add muscles. Just wanted some help on how I should gain weight/workout I've heard a mixed review of everything. One thing that I heard that I'm trying is to try and gain calories by trying to eat something/anything every 2 hours to help increase the intake of calories which is a bit hard due to the fact I work everyday from anywhere between 8-12 hours. I'm a competitive swimmer and want to bulk up a bit so I can hopefully compete at a college level.

Thanks for any input!

ChanWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 04:07 PM   #2
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Eating every few hours isn't just for higher caloric intake, it also keeps your metabolism workout. If you want muscles, you need to start weight training. Eat everything. High protein, high carbs, lots of fruits and veggies. Don't eat because you're hungry, eat because you're trying to gain.

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 04:12 PM   #3
TheBlueKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

^This. It also helps if you eat a lot of ice cream too, great for bulking and putting on size. My rule of thumb for when I bulk is to eat ATLEAST once every 3 hours maybe less, and eat a full meal, a sandwich glass of milk and a piece of fruit at the minimum
Unread 07-22-2013, 06:23 PM   #4
ChanWK
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvanwie View Post
Eating every few hours isn't just for higher caloric intake, it also keeps your metabolism workout. If you want muscles, you need to start weight training. Eat everything. High protein, high carbs, lots of fruits and veggies. Don't eat because you're hungry, eat because you're trying to gain.
I tried some weight training last summer and this winter and didn't really see any major gains.

As of right now my day goes like this
Wake up at 8:10 eat a bowl of cereal and head to work
12:00ish-1:00 Go home/Eat Lunch
3:00 Eat a snack (Been eating a lot of fruit lately) and back to work
5:00 Eat another snack (fiber bars)
Sometime during my break grab another snack
8:00 Get back home and eat Dinner.

Generally how my day goes Monday-Friday anything I should add to gain more weight?
Unread 07-22-2013, 06:40 PM   #5
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

You won't see any major gains from one season. That's not possible.

Unread 07-23-2013, 10:20 AM   #6
happymudder10
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I disagree with the "eat everything" approach. I am on a bulking phase right now. I calculated my daily calorie intake needs to be at 3400 / day. I can easily accomplish this by eating 6 big macs per day. But in reality, that would probably kill me and if it doesn't it will add a bunch of fat that I don't want.

The best way to do it is to find an online calorie calculator (there are tons of free ones). You need to calculate your basal metabolic rate (BMR) and total daily energy expenditure (TDEE) to figure out your daily caloric intake. Then calculate your macronutrient ratios. Use 1 - 1.5 grams of protein for each pound of bodyweight, then calculate your carb and fat percentages after that.

As a reference, I spend 6+ hours a week working out and about 8-10 hours a week on nutrition. NUTRITION IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF ANY BODYBUILDING PROGRAM! If you don't have your nutrition dialed in, you are wasting your time and money at the gym. The old cliche: "you can't out-train your diet" is very true. You have to look at it like this: you go to the gym to tear up your muscles. Your muscles increase in size as they repair. but they don't repair efficiently unless you are giving your body the proper nutrients in the quantity that it needs.

Good luck with your progress, and let me know if you need any help.
Unread 07-23-2013, 02:37 PM   #7
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

i'm inbetween happymudder and ty...reason why I say this, is because if you have a hard time putting on weight (not fat) you don't have a choice but to eat pretty much everything in sight. Question is what do you put infront of you. That's where i'm with happymudder...you must eat everything you can that's healthy and fits your needs. Do you know how many grams of protein you should be eating per day to gain weight? If not, research around, or ask us (btw answer is at least 2grams per lb of body weight). You need to be eating a meal every three hours, not a snack. I'm up 10 lbs from where I was 7 months ago. I'm up 3 in the past 45 days. Your diet, sleep and hydration are extremely important if not more important then your workout. Don't get me wrong there's right and wrong ways to workout when you just have a goal of gaining weight, but if you dont eat the right foods at the right times it doesn't matter what you do. Your meals and snacks are good to maintain your weight not add more.

If you want to gain weight but are like me and have a crappy schedule for eating, protein shakes are great additives, but dont' forget, it's important to plan your meals and prepare. Many sundays or Mondays I make a few days worth of work meals so I have the right foods.

Ex: Wake up, 3 eggs, 1-2 cups of carbs (pretty much carbs are carbs, healthy cereal, whole wheat or multi grain bagel etc) and a piece of fruit
3 hrs later: protein shake
3 hrs later: lunch, 6oz of meat, 1 cup veggies 1cup of carbs (whole grain rice etc)
workout: before my work out I eat a small meal with some carbs and fats like a pb sandwich as that will fuel your workout
post workout (or on off day 3 hours after my lunch): protein shake
3 hrs later: dinner, 8 oz meat, 1-2 cups veggies, 2 cups of carbs
1 hr before bed time, protein shake. Yes your body eats calories while your sleeping, getting something with casein will be slow digesting and will feed your muscles as they recover all night.

Water-96 ounces per day. Get a water bottle, it goes everywhere you do

sleep-need to get enough sleep 6-8 hours is what the average adult needs.
Unread 07-23-2013, 07:06 PM   #8
ChanWK
2005 WK 

I doubt I'm getting enough protein but should I try and put on weight before lifting or should I do both? I want to use whey protein seeing as I don't get enough but don't know if I should use it if I'm not lifting yet
Unread 07-23-2013, 07:17 PM   #9
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChanWK
I doubt I'm getting enough protein but should I try and put on weight before lifting or should I do both? I want to use whey protein seeing as I don't get enough but don't know if I should use it if I'm not lifting yet
Both.

Unread 07-24-2013, 10:26 AM   #10
happymudder10
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChanWK View Post
Why don't you think you are getting enough protein? You should be eating 1-1.5 grams per pound of body weight. You weigh 130 lbs. You should be eating between 130 and 195 grams of protein daily.

One whole egg has 6 grams
3 oz of lean beef has 19.2 grams
3 oz of chicken breast has 17.8 grams
3 oz of salmon has 21.6 grams
4 oz of ground turkey has 22 grams
3 oz of tuna steak has 26 grams
One scoop of a quality protein powder has 24 grams.

3 oz of any meat is pretty small. I usually eat between 6 and 9 oz of meat per meal.

I supplement with a protein shake in the morning just after my lifting workout, and a protein bar (home made) in the afternoon after my afternoon cardio workout.
Unread 07-24-2013, 11:02 AM   #11
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by happymudder10 View Post

Why don't you think you are getting enough protein? You should be eating 1-1.5 grams per pound of body weight. You weigh 130 lbs. You should be eating between 130 and 195 grams of protein daily.

One whole egg has 6 grams
3 oz of lean beef has 19.2 grams
3 oz of chicken breast has 17.8 grams
3 oz of salmon has 21.6 grams
4 oz of ground turkey has 22 grams
3 oz of tuna steak has 26 grams
One scoop of a quality protein powder has 24 grams.

3 oz of any meat is pretty small. I usually eat between 6 and 9 oz of meat per meal.

I supplement with a protein shake in the morning just after my lifting workout, and a protein bar (home made) in the afternoon after my afternoon cardio workout.
Nice guide. And don't forget, your body can't process a ton of protein...most recent study says approx 20grams every 3 hours. so don't waste the money/stomach space on chugging tons of protein...it will just become waste

Don't worry about what other ppl think about your weight (how much you lift) during your workout. Do it with the right form. Machines work just as well as free weights with the exception of stabilizer muscles(obviously not used during guided exercises). Don't believe other wise. Mutli joint movements will provide mass and strength fast. Once your comfy with the movements look into 5x5 workout rountines.
Unread 07-24-2013, 11:20 AM   #12
BamaJeepman21
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChanWK View Post
You need to put on weight while lifting. Doing it before lifting is, IMO, pointless.

If you start going to the gym for 45min a day and just doing some small stuff, you'll see "noob" gains pretty quickly. Start doing the machines and stuff before you're comfortable with free weights. Make sure you get a gym buddy too. You can always train harder when your buddy is there to spot you all the way to failure.

-Jack
BamaJeepman21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2013, 11:42 AM   #13
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonzj

Nice guide. And don't forget, your body can't process a ton of protein...most recent study says approx 20grams every 3 hours. so don't waste the money/stomach space on chugging tons of protein...it will just become waste

Don't worry about what other ppl think about your weight (how much you lift) during your workout. Do it with the right form. Machines work just as well as free weights with the exception of stabilizer muscles(obviously not used during guided exercises). Don't believe other wise. Mutli joint movements will provide mass and strength fast. Once your comfy with the movements look into 5x5 workout rountines.
All of this, but I still don't believe that study. That would mean the max anyone could take in a day would be 160 grams. Which is just not right.

Unread 07-24-2013, 11:58 AM   #14
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvanwie View Post

All of this, but I still don't believe that study. That would mean the max anyone could take in a day would be 160 grams. Which is just not right.
Think about how much waste...protein farts sound familiar? I want to find the actual study so I can read in detail instead of just the summary. To me it makes sense...a constant stream of nutrients is more important the large amounts of something.
Unread 07-24-2013, 02:45 PM   #15
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonzj

Think about how much waste...protein farts sound familiar? I want to find the actual study so I can read in detail instead of just the summary. To me it makes sense...a constant stream of nutrients is more important the large amounts of something.
Doesn't sound familiar at all. It makes no sense whatsoever. Just think about it. 20g every three hours. That's a MAX of 160g a day. And that's if they're awake 24 hours a day...

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.