JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Fitness and Nutrition (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f374/)
-   -   My Diabetes and Weight Loss Trouble (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f374/my-diabetes-weight-loss-trouble-1631673/)

wtfcrunch 09-28-2013 12:58 PM

My Diabetes and Weight Loss Trouble

I've been debating this post for quite some time now but I figured what the hell.

So a little background information about me for those that do not know. I'm 23 years old, diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes in 1998 from viral auto-immunity, 5'10 and 195lbs.

I don't follow any specific diet just avoid things that I know affect my sugar levels accordingly. Salads are my favorite food and I grew up eating a ton of vegetables so eating healthy is I'm no way a problem.

My body type is best described as stocky or in football terms a Cornerback / Defensive back. Ive played baseball all my life and through college at 1st base, left handed, and never really been a distance runner.

In 2011 I broke up with my girlfriend of 4 years and was at 228lbs, my highest ever, I was a chunky SOB. At that point I was like what am I doing with my life, got a new job that required small amounts of manual labor, I've always worked in the manual labor field till my current position. I changed my diet, no soda, no fast food (I hate fast food but females are evil), worked out regularly and used protein supplements as needed. In five months I got down to 188 and was super happy. Ever since then it's been a struggle.

I walk a mile on my lunch break at work M-F and run one or two miles when I get home.

Now to the point of resistance, Im currently at 195, I really would feel a lot more comfortable at 185. But getting there seems nearly impossible. I'm looking for any weight loss advice in regards to my diabetes, I can answer questions and give feedback for questions as it is my job.

I will add pictures for reference points later.

Jeffro06 09-28-2013 01:06 PM

I would think as long as you maintain the proper diet, not just the right type of foods, but the right amount as well, and add some cardio to your routine, the weight will come off. My mom has diabetes and dropped quite a few pounds by eating right and walking or riding her bicycle, nearly everyday.

JoeTDI 10-11-2013 10:39 AM

Riding a bike is great.... Might want to get yourself a cheap used heavy bag and do intense timed kickboxing rounds, if u have room for something like that..mine is outdoors... The stand stays outside all the time and I bring the bag itself in when it rains

I was 240 lbs and got in with an underground MMA club and learned brazilian jiu jitsu and muay thai kickboxing..... Within a year I was down to 176lbs, strong, and fast... Wrestling/boxing/martial arts are an amazing way to work every inch of your body, not to mention boost your confidence.... I'm no pro fighter by any means, but I sure as hell can defend myself if needed.

bobjp 10-19-2013 05:57 PM

I second riding a bike. Mountain biking if possible. A couple times a week, and you won't be able to keep the weight on.

The time now is 01:04 PM.