My Body Rebuild Thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Fitness and Nutrition > My Body Rebuild Thread

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 01-01-2014, 04:04 PM   #1
offroadaction
2005 TJ Wrangler 

My Body Rebuild Thread

I honestly cannot believe that I am going to post all of this online for everyone to read. I have no problem posting my accomplishments on Facebook and such, but very, very few know the other stuff that goes on in my head and body.

<Misc Ramblings On>
I have been trying to lose weight for a while, sort of. I am pretty active and I used to lie to myself that I was eating good. Since breaking up an 8 month relationship, I have gained 10lbs in the last few months and it feels like 25.

I am 42 years old, 5'8" and weigh about 225 on most days. I normally check once a week and it is around there somewhere. I was diagnosed as a Type 2 Diabetic 3 years ago.

I am a runner. Actually, I used to be a runner. I started around 5-6 years ago. I started running to spend time with my ex in Toronto and liked the changes. Both in my body and my head. I ran a few half marathons and was running 3-4 days a week. I lost 60lbs, but was still sitting around 210.

3 years ago this spring, I ran 40km to celebrate my 40th birthday. I was enjoying running. I ran 3 half marathons that year and did pb's each time. I started trail running and fell in love with it. I was voted as my running clubs Male Runner Of The Year because of my commitment willingness to help out new runners and promote the club. It was definatly not for speed!

Last fall, I slowly started losing my desire to run. It was good, but after an 18km trail race, the love just started to fade. I backed off, thinking I needed a break. The next big race was the following spring, a 25km trail race. All through winter, I struggled with my running. I ended up doing most of my runs solo, which I think was a mistake. It worked fine for me when I lived in Toronto, but running solo is not the best way to get out of a running slump.

I did the 25km trail race last May and it killed me. Literally. It was the first hot day of the year (went from 14 celcius to 27 within 2 days), my blood sugar was triple what it should be, there was lots of long and steep hills, I saw 2 rattlesnakes, there was some damn big hills...my goal time was 3:30 because I knew it would be tough. Finish time was 4:20 or so and people still talk about me yelling "Who the F**k designed this course" as I crossed the finish line. I finished, but was extremely discouraged with my time.

I joined a boot camp class and went pretty regularly. I knew I had to do something to get me back into shape...running here and there was not enough. I had been doing boot camp on and off for a few years. It helped me, but I just never got back into running as much as I used to. August was a write off, as I worked 10 hour days 7 days a week preparing my company for a move. I battled a few injuries.

However, in January, I signed up for a Spartan race at the end of September and I was determined to do it. Not just any Spartan race...a Beast! 20km at a ski hill with 28 obstacles. Crap! The guys I signed up with are Ultra runners and they thrive on hills. I told them after a few kms to go ahead and I would hook up with people my speed. Honestly, I had a blast. 20km of hills. We went up to the top of the ski hill, back down so that we could see the finish, then back up another ski hill and down again. 70% of the race was in 3-6" of snow. I loved it. I ran with a group of ladies from Edmonton for a long time. I met people from different provinces and Washington state. I loved it. It was hard. I only had to do 90 burpees, but they were all in the last 15 minutes. My goal was to finish, which I did. Tired, but without frostbite.

In September, I hired a personal trainer. Well, it was the girl that taught my boot camp. Over the last few years, she has become a good friend. I layed it all on the line for her. I continued my Monday and Wednesday morning boot camps and she kind of made them more to suit me than anyone. I workout as per program on Tuesday and Saturday mornings. Friday mornings is a 5km hill run and Sunday is for my long runs, which are scaled back to 8km right now.

It was all going good until my gf and I broke up at the start of November. I still exercised, but did not eat that great. Sooo.... combine that with the holidays...I feel like crap.

<end Misc Ramblings>
So here I sit going over my goals and such for 2014.
-While I will be running the 25km trail race and 20km Spartan Beast again, running will not be a big concern for me. I will do the training, but I want get back to loving running. Right now I am winded, sore and sometimes bitter. I want redemption on those 2 big races from last year and will run a few other 10km races, but it will not be the main focus in my life like it was a few years ago.

-Last year, I did a lot more hiking, camping, kayaking etc. I want to continue that this year. Do active things that I enjoy. I have 3 major backpacking trips planned, a list of lakes to kayak and lots of trails to hike.

- I will continue bootcamp on Monday and Wednesday mornings. I love it, especially when there is about 7 hot women doing it with me! I find the group thing very motivating and we all feed off each other. A great workout that has me drenched in sweat. I will continue Tuesday and Saturday mornings at the gym and running Friday mornings with a long run on Sunday. If I miss the gym or running because I am camping or exploring, then so be it. I will try to involve workouts or running on my camping trips... it usually works out well.

-I am joining a beginner yoga class on Tuesday or Wednesday nights.

- I will start eating more clean and start writing down everything I eat again. That really helped me in the fall...it was a big shock!

Goals? 190lbs by the end of the year. 35lb weight loss! I want to take my shirt off at the beach and not be ashamed...not be jacked, but just not be ashamed.

Biggest thing for me this year? Just enjoy life. Keep active while having fun, eat clean. My 9 year old niece told me the other day when we were tubing that " Life is all about having fun." Best damn quote I have heard in a while.

Here are some photos...the ones without shirt have never been seen by anyone else...they were taken about a month ago. The running one is my 25km trail race last may and the lucky 13 is a 20km race that I kicked *** on.

2013-vernon-df-25-196.jpg  
dirty-feet-lucky-13-250x250.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

My Super Slow Silver Build
offroadaction is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2014, 04:06 PM   #2
offroadaction
2005 TJ Wrangler 

While I said that running is not going to be my main goal, I have a goal of running 1600kms this year. I did a goal of 1000kms (ended up at 1300) a few years ago and it really helped keep my motivation up.
Unread 01-01-2014, 04:15 PM   #3
offroadaction
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Big thing is to get back to eating clean. My ex of 8 months did not eat well and did not like exercise, but loved to complain about her weight ad being sore all the time... So happy to get away from that!
Unread 01-09-2014, 11:15 AM   #4
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

You should be able to drop 35lbs easy if not more. You got this

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2014, 09:03 PM   #5
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I went from 198 to 178 with a whole lot of cardio along with eating right and weight training....I'm 49, so its possible, if you want it.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2014, 02:42 PM   #6
offroadaction
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys... Boot camp classes started this week. I thought I was doing good by myself over the holidays...OMG! Feels great though and I love the classes as it is easier to stay motivated.

Eating clean is one of my hardest issues, but I have been pretty good the last few weeks.

I started a year long weight loss challenge with some friends, with monthly prizes and such. It will be interesting!
Unread 02-22-2014, 05:13 PM   #7
offroadaction
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Have been plugging along... still need to work on the clean eating. You have no idea how much I am craving chocolate covered caramels right now!

Had one of my best solo workouts in a long time today.

On a good note, my new gf wants to start running and eats really well. It is nice when you can do fun exercise together...
Unread 03-03-2014, 11:28 PM   #8
NYGLT56
Your Local Body Builder
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroadaction
Have been plugging along... still need to work on the clean eating. You have no idea how much I am craving chocolate covered caramels right now! Had one of my best solo workouts in a long time today. On a good note, my new gf wants to start running and eats really well. It is nice when you can do fun exercise together...
Agreed. My girlfriend and I lift together as well. It definitely solidifies a healthy relationship between you and your body.

VOTE TJOTY!!!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj...arted-2893337/
NYGLT56 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2014, 09:54 AM   #9
ZacG

Make your training/workouts/exercising a priority. That's the big thing in my mind. I have to tell friends that I can't make it to the bar on a given night because my lifiting sessions come first. I set large goals and then break them down into smaller goals I need to break through to reach my large goals.

You can definately drop 35 lbs. Diet is key. And pretty soon you won't call it a diet, it will just come naturally and be a new lifestyle.

Looking forward to reading your success story on here!
ZacG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.