My 30th birthday present - a restoration build of sorts - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Fitness and Nutrition > My 30th birthday present - a restoration build of sorts

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Jeep Wrangler Complete Gear Upgrade Kits with Installs andBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Ki

Unread 11-18-2013, 10:02 PM   #31
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

BCAA's are branched chain amino acids, basically the building blocks of proteins. They can be taken at anytime, but during or post workout is usually when I take mine because that's when the demand is higher. They shouldn't be counted toward protein intake because they're technically not proteins yet. I've found that taking them during my workouts gives me more stamina/less fatigue.

Edit: this doesn't effect your shake.

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2013, 10:07 PM   #32
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Perfect. Thanks.
Unread 11-23-2013, 07:27 PM   #33
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

How's it goin man?

Unread 11-25-2013, 08:32 AM   #34
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Broken finger really hinders the workout process but with the exception of this weekend, I've been in the gym every day and eating right. However I went to Tahoe and gained ten pounds by keeping up with my friends at the table. Totally motivating and I'm currently on the exercise bike to get some cardio before work. In fact, I've been going to the gym twice a day since last week.
Unread 11-28-2013, 01:39 PM   #35
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Met my first Arm-Day-Charlie last night. Toothpick legs and a huge upper body. Every day is arm day for that guy.

On a related not I have decided to up my upper body workouts and double up on them every day. My legs are already doing several exercises so I should round it out a little. Today was the first time for forearms since I broke the finger. Don't want to overdo it and break it again before its fully healed.
Unread 12-15-2013, 06:42 AM   #36
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Finger feels pretty solid and I have moved back to the dumbbells and supplementing the muscle groups with the machines. I also decided that a little more recovery time is necessary and separated the muscle groups to allow them to heal better throughout the week. We shall see how it works out. I also started taking creatine and went through three different ones before I found one that didn't make me sick. Now I just pee a lot when I take it pre and post workout. It also caused about ten pounds in water weight, or I have been eating like crap.
Unread 12-15-2013, 07:36 AM   #37
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

How much creatine are you taking? You're drinking much more water with it, right?

Unread 12-15-2013, 08:04 AM   #38
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Just one scoop per day. And I already drink tons more water than I should.
Unread 01-01-2014, 11:32 PM   #39
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Pretty good gym session tonight. I hit everything once before my buddy showed up. Then I hit it again. I'm exhausted but I need to do more cardio because these holidays have caused me to gain weight. I have self control at the dinner table when I'm preparing the food but when the folks insist on pie, I can't say no. Mother knows best.

Weight has stayed the same but my strength has improved significantly. I need to run more though. Not gonna happen at the the gym for the next two weeks. Already screamed at some kid for not reracking any of his weights. It looked like a tornado hit the plates after he was heading for the door.
Unread 01-02-2014, 05:10 AM   #40
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I haven't been since the new year. I'm a little scared of how busy it'll be lol.

Unread 01-04-2014, 06:12 PM   #41
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Gym has been dead since New Years. I fixed the smith machine at the gym last night when the owner was there and pulled the bumpstops at the bottom of the machine. All the Indian patrons use it for bench press (because we don't have a proper one) and steal all the 45 lb plates to stack underneath the bench legs because the bumps were too high. I fixed that **** right away. Its hard enough finding eight of the big plates to use on my incline leg press let alone ten when I'm feeling strong on my last set. I'm upping the weight on my squats even though I don't have a proper squat rack in our small gym. Yet.

Don't judge me for my small increments on my last set. I couldn't push any more.

Unread 01-23-2014, 11:31 PM   #42
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Been going to the gym every day since Christmas save for two that I had other stuff to do. I started eating even cleaner and looking to still burn fat so I upped my cardio and I want to drop some jiggly pounds
Unread 01-29-2014, 02:38 PM   #43
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I had bulked back up to 230 and now lost 10 lbs of fat so I want to be somewhere near 200 by June. I think its possible tilt I just try harder. Also I hit 500# on my incline leg press the other night. I want to be at 600# by the end of the year. Those are my only goals so far. Trying to eat clean and hitting the gym every night. I'm not brave enough to post pics of me. Sorry. Still way too fat
Unread 02-01-2014, 08:40 AM   #44
Agony Wagon
Anti-Seizeaholic

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Why are you doing isolation exercises? Isolation lifts should really be done on an as-needed basis: as supplemental exercises when gains can't be made with standard compound lifts (intermediate to advanced lifting), for targeting "problem areas" by advanced-level bodybuilders, or as part of physical therapy when compound lifts can't be done. Beginners should usually ignore isolation exercises. It takes more time to hit all your muscles compared to compound exercises and it's still not as good of a workout.

Except maybe for bicep curls, because curls get the girls.

Why are you training to failure every workout? It isn't necessarily wrong, it just often isn't necessary.

Also, smith machines are the devil. Not only do they give you a vastly inferior workout (e.g. I've seen people squat 275 lbs on the smith machine that couldn't quarter-squat 135 lbs in the rack), they're also much more likely to lead to joint injuries. We should have a worldwide holiday where all smith machines are dragged out into the streets and set on fire. Everyone except the smith machine manufacturers would be better off because of it. Squatting under a smith machine has a higher risk of causing knee injuries. And those folks pressing on one have a much higher risk of shoulder injuries. It's very, very easy to have bad form in those machines and not recognize it until you realize too late that you've been injured. Hack squats, dumbbell squats... anything is better than doing squats in a smith machine. Use it for pullups, or as a coat rack.

Congrats on losing the fat. That is pretty darn good. Lifting weights will probably do a better job at burning and keeping it off than cardio alone will.
Agony Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2014, 11:31 PM   #45
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I'm only isolating certain muscle groups some of the time. Some of it is actually for physical therapy as mentioned in my first post here. I enjoy the combination exercises especially when working with a partner to make sure form is square.

Thanks for the tips. As for the smith, I know of its evil but its the only game in town. I do the back squats and dumbbell squats as well as the smith squats. The leg press gets more of my time than squats and lunges are more of a warm up exercise as I can't do too much weight due to the loss of range of motion in my ankle. I'm trying to do as much as I can without injuring myself further.

Baby steps....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.