Meals to gain mass? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Fitness and Nutrition > Meals to gain mass?

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 03-14-2013, 12:10 PM   #1
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Meals to gain mass?

So what dietary measures do you guys use to gain mass? I'm tired of being a skinny little f***** and want to put on some weight before I start going to the gym. I plan on doing a lot of pushups/crunches/pullups a day for a while so I don't look like this walking into the gym. I'm really hoping to get into the gym within the month so I can get in better shape for lifeguarding this summer. Anyways, load me up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2013, 12:37 PM   #2
Andywear
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I eat 2 boiled eggs every morning.
Not saying it is helping me gain weight but it does fill me up and you can boil them Sun night and have easy breakfast all week.

and if you have time eat the eggs with oatmeal.
No lite Beer.

[I]Errrrrrr[/I], Will complain else where - &y
Andywear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2013, 12:43 PM   #3
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have a bad habit of just eating protein bars in the morning. I'm going to start getting up earlier and go to breakfast.

Quote:
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
Unread 03-14-2013, 12:56 PM   #4
jeepyj13
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I eat alot of grains, wheat based products. I wake up early and cook a full bowl of oatmeal. Lunch well Basically I eat whatever I want, same with dinner. I take a mass gainer as well and split the 4 serving throughout the day. I take 2 scoops after workout with a scoop of oatmeal, almonds, bananas, with 16oz of milk. Then I take another serving toward the end of the day. My metabolism is fast so I eat around ever 2-4hrs depending how occupied I am(work,school, working on jeeps). My advice just eat alot. I eat 3-5meals a day. I was around 170lbs at the beginning of yr, now Im a solid 182lbs on a empty stomach morning weighin. Its lean muscle mass too, my core is still flat, chest solid, arms legs etc. Not fatty like.
Unread 03-14-2013, 01:01 PM   #5
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Any recommendations on mass gainers? I'm broke so it cant be too expensive.

My lunch is a 12" philly, baked lays, a large Peanut Butter protein milkshake with a protein booster, and a protein bar.

Quote:
Unread 03-14-2013, 01:10 PM   #6
mreid10
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Just start going to the gym now, no point in waiting
mreid10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2013, 01:26 PM   #7
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreid10 View Post
Just start going to the gym now, no point in waiting
I'll go in time.

Quote:
Unread 03-14-2013, 01:35 PM   #8
onionknight
2001 WJ 

If you haven't read Timothy Ferriss 4-Hour Body check it out. Some really interesting stuff in there on diet and abstract routines. You don't have to read it cover to cover or anything either, recommended you don't in fact.

Make sure to get your body back in shape a little before going to the gym and lifting too much weight. Don't want to injure anything.

The advice above about "just eat a lot" is correct. If you're actively lifting and want to gain, you almost can't eat too much. Some of the science behind it is explained in the book I mentioned.

Build Thread: COMING SOON!
onionknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2013, 01:38 PM   #9
onionknight
2001 WJ 

Oh, and there's a really good section in the book on swimming. You'd be surprised how many people think they know how to swim, but don't do it properly. There's a reason most people tired out after swimming about 30 yards, and a reason others effortlessly swim for miles, and it comes down to technique.

Unread 03-14-2013, 01:40 PM   #10
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by onionknight View Post
If you haven't read Timothy Ferriss 4-Hour Body check it out. Some really interesting stuff in there on diet and abstract routines. You don't have to read it cover to cover or anything either, recommended you don't in fact.

Make sure to get your body back in shape a little before going to the gym and lifting too much weight. Don't want to injure anything.

The advice above about "just eat a lot" is correct. If you're actively lifting and want to gain, you almost can't eat too much. Some of the science behind it is explained in the book I mentioned.
Thanks. That's what I'd like to do. Eat properly and build a little mass before hitting the gym to start a routine. Gives me some time to figure out a proper routine as well. My roommate is a gym buff so he can give me pointers (we actually work at the same pool as well).

Quote:
Unread 03-14-2013, 01:41 PM   #11
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by onionknight View Post
Oh, and there's a really good section in the book on swimming. You'd be surprised how many people think they know how to swim, but don't do it properly. There's a reason most people tired out after swimming about 30 yards, and a reason others effortlessly swim for miles, and it comes down to technique.
I definitely could work on technique but I am a lifeguard so I know sone swimming.

Quote:
Unread 03-14-2013, 01:56 PM   #12
onionknight
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones26573 View Post
I definitely could work on technique but I am a lifeguard so I know sone swimming.
That's what they all say! I don't doubt you can swim, but did your school have a swim team? Mine didn't, so like most people I never had a coach, and there's some things you can't really self teach unless you use mirrors and such (my local gym was nice, had mirrors in the pool area). Not doubting you at all, just saying there's a good chance you can improve even more.

I was a junior Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu instructor until I moved recently, and I competed in amateur MMA. I never wrestled in high school, so this was my first experience gaining/cutting weight.

I was out of shape leading into my first match (later learned I had been living barely two blocks from a tiny little hole in the wall gym all summer; I could have at least lifted and whatnot). I had been sick and lost weight, at 5'9" I weighed 155lbs when I normally walked around about 185. I had taken a welterweight match at 170lbs, and had 4 weeks. By fight night, I weighed 180 even (weighed in at 174lbs, the limit for the match). Neither the gain nor the minor cut affected my performance.

I had used a lot of the information in ferriss' book, dieting, gaining, cutting, cardio, flexibility, all sorts of stuff. Using some of the methods, I've personally experienced gains of 1-1.5lbs of lean mass per day. There's some good advice for gaining in there.

Unread 03-14-2013, 02:02 PM   #13
EugeneTheTJ
Tar Heel

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Eat eat eat.
Red meat, potatoes (not french fries, baked potatoes), lots of chicken.

And go to the gym. There is only so much your body can do in terms of push ups, pull ups, etc. In a very short time your muscle fibers adapt to the exercises and won't get any bigger because there is nothing pushing them past exhaustion. That is where weights come into play.

And don't feel like you're a ****** just cause you're a skinny guy in the gym, there are plenty of them in there too...It's not like everyone at the gym is Ronnie Coleman or Branch Warren.
EugeneTheTJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2013, 02:07 PM   #14
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneTheTJ View Post
Eat eat eat.
Red meat, potatoes (not french fries, baked potatoes), lots of chicken.

And go to the gym. There is only so much your body can do in terms of push ups, pull ups, etc. In a very short time your muscle fibers adapt to the exercises and won't get any bigger because there is nothing pushing them past exhaustion. That is where weights come into play.

And don't feel like you're a ****** just cause you're a skinny guy in the gym, there are plenty of them in there too...It's not like everyone at the gym is Ronnie Coleman or Branch Warren.
Like I said, I'll get to the gym. Just want to put on a little weight first and get a good routine laid out. I got to find someone to go with me regularly.

Quote:
Unread 03-14-2013, 02:35 PM   #15
stivy10
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Just eat. Just get to the gym. What better place to find a regular training partner than at the gym? You will be further ahead of the game to get in there ASAP and learn so much more bout your body and movement selection thru trial n error than anyone can tell you. Far as routines...many knowledgeable fellas here that's been at it awhile, I'm sure we all can steer ya in right direction
stivy10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.