Looking to gain weight - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Fitness and Nutrition > Looking to gain weight

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! ECGS Black Friday Sale!!

Unread 12-02-2013, 08:10 PM   #1
ChanWK
2005 WK 

Looking to gain weight

Hey guys,
I'm 5'8" and about 129 pounds, pretty much a twig and a really picky eater. I'm looking to try and put on some weight. Any suggestions I was thinking about taking whey to try and gain some weight. I'm a college student so its hard to make my own mass gainer or shake and the food here isn't that great. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ChanWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2013, 07:03 PM   #2
blubaru2002
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChanWK
Hey guys, I'm 5'8" and about 129 pounds, pretty much a twig and a really picky eater. I'm looking to try and put on some weight. Any suggestions I was thinking about taking whey to try and gain some weight. I'm a college student so its hard to make my own mass gainer or shake and the food here isn't that great. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Don't over think it. Eat more calories than you burn each day. And start lifting some weights.

Eat!
blubaru2002 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2013, 11:53 AM   #3
AmmitOsiris
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Fast food err day

Because I Saved 15% On My Car Insurance
AmmitOsiris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2013, 03:20 PM   #4
TimV
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmmitOsiris View Post
Fast food err day

More beer too!
Unread 12-08-2013, 04:35 PM   #5
AmmitOsiris
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimV
More beer too!
This too haha

AmmitOsiris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2013, 10:40 PM   #6
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

What do you mean by put on weight..?
If you just want to gain weight just eat whatever the **** you want and eat more of it.
But I'm going to say you mean muscle mass.
First of all, are you going to the gym? If no, a whey protein is really pointless. If yes, then I'd definitely buy some type of mass gainer. It's not hard to make your own. Yogurt, peanut butter, a banana, and maybe some other nuts and put it in a blender. That's ~20g of protein and probably cost a couple bucks to make.

And you're going to have to cut that picky eater ****, otherwise you won't get far. Most of the delicious food sucks for you, and the best food for you usually tastes like **** (brown rice) IMO.

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2013, 11:03 PM   #7
hustler905
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I'd recommend syrup and bacon sandwiches.
hustler905 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2013, 03:25 PM   #8
pentastarguy
Web Wheeler
2012 JK Wrangler 

wish i needed to put on weight.
pentastarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2014, 06:54 AM   #9
mason93
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Look up Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength. 3 days a week full body. I've been doing it for about 2 months and I've seen some good gains from it. I do not eat as much as I should be so I have not gained as much weight as I should be. If you look at it and decide its something you want to try, buy the book. I made the mistake of not buying it the first month I did it and ended up regretting that. I looked up how to do the exercises online, but my gains that first month were not what they should have been because I was not completely sure if my form was correct; and when I got the book I found some things I was doing wrong. When I got the book I lowered the weight I had been using and basically re started the program. I just switched to a 4 year school from a community college this semester so I do not have that much advice but I'll tell you what I've figured out so far- 1. Make breakfast in your room. I eat oatmeal almost everyday. It saves me money on my meal plan, its quicker/easier then going to a dining hall, and its healthier. If you have access to a common kitchen in your dorm, then use that too. Another favorite breakfast of mine is grits and scrambled eggs. I put cheese and hot sauce in there too. You can also go out and buy a few lbs of chicken, make that one day in the kitchen and save your leftovers. 2. Drink a lot of milk. Just about every time I go to eat in the dining hall I drink at least 2 glasses of milk (Rippetoe suggests a gallon of it a day, but I don't get quite that much). 3. If you do SS, follow the program exactly. The first few weeks I decided I would do dumb bell presses instead of a real bench, and looking back on that now I could have gained a lot of muscle in that time. Also, dont do curls. You don't need them with this program. Disclaimer- I am not saying this it the program of all programs. However, I have seen good results from it and I will be sticking to it. There are plenty of programs out there that could work for you, just find one you like and stick to it.

For reference here are some of my 3x5 numbers. Started squatting 190, my next time will be 260. Started dead lifting 180, next time will be 310. And as I said, these gains could be better had I bought the book right from the beginning and not re started the program after a month. edit- my favorite protein thus far is musclepharm combat powder.
Unread 01-23-2014, 07:08 PM   #10
ChanWK
2005 WK 

Thanks for the advice everyone. What I can say is I did gain weight when I was home for winter break... must have missed that home cooking lol
ChanWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2014, 09:45 AM   #11
Leyva_WJawd
1999 WJ 

5'9" is a good height. Not too short, but not tall enough to make push ups and bench pressing a real struggle. If you have access to a gym in your school (which I think most colleges do) they get ready to make it your home. All it takes is 1 hour a day, 5 days a week. You can go after your last class of the day, or if you have late classes some time where you have a good 2 hour break.

Don't be embarrassed to start with body weight and just bare bars. The most important part is going to get the technique rights. Though you will hear you need to lift heavy to get big, it's useless if you aren't doing the moves right. And it's a lot easier to learn the moves right when you work with lighter weights. Look up videos and honestly, if you have any questions don't be afraid to ask someone something. Plenty of people won't mind taking 30 secs out of their day to demostrate something. That's how I learned to deadlift, it's not always the same watching a video as seeing it in person.

Also, once you start to go heavier always get a spotter when doing a potentially dangerous exercise until failure (bench press, etc.). It also makes for a more effective workout when they help you push out an extra 3 reps.

I'm sure you'll find plenty of exercises, work outs and routines online. I like using exrx, they show you exercises for the muscle group you look up and by equipment you are using.

Diet is also a big part. You can buy a decent protein shake and shaker bottle. You're going to want to eat a good amount of protein (natural and supplements), some carbs, and fats (good fats though). For breakfast you get have cereal (5g protein per bowl) with milk (another 8g), yogurt (12g protein for greek yogurt, coconut, key lime, orange creme and pineapple are my favorites), bananas (vitamins and potassium). Lunch can be whole wheat or potato bread with deli meats (turkey, chicken breast, salami) or tuna. Dinner can be brown rice or whole wheat pasta with beef, fish, or chicken (or pork every once in a while) and a side of vegtables or a salad. You can snack on nuts or trail mix through out the day or eat peanut butter sandwiches. You're also going to want to drink plenty of water though out the day, but not a lot with your meals or when working out. And you can start taking a multivitamin in the morning. You can take a protein shake right after working out, and if necessary you can take one in the morning.

I started lifting sophomore year of high school, coming out of breaking my arm twice in two years. I took two years of weight training and by the time I was in college I was 5'6" 155 lbs bench pressing 225 lbs. It hard at first and it sucks, and you're gonna be sore for days after lifting, but soon it starts to get funner, and you start adding more weight, and noticing improvements, and before you know it you're addicted. I've gotten a few of my buddies into it too. Give it 6 months, you're gonna be real have you stuck it out. Good luck and if you have any questions message me.

P.S. also, don't neglect your legs. Bodybuild I went to school in the Navy with told me that doing legs releases hormones which helps get your upper body bigger too. That what you hear Mark Wahlberg talking about in the end of Pain and Gain "weak quads". Squatting and deadlifting are fundemental workouts. Other good ones are chest/tricep dips, bench press (flat, incline, decline), pull ups, curls (bar and dumbbells), rows, overhead press, and shrugs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.