I'd like to build a medical device, could use some help - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 04-06-2015, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
jason370
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
I'd like to build a medical device, could use some help

I'm not sure this is a perfect fit for health and nutrition, but it's in the ballpark..

I'd like to build a device which helps elderly (or possibly disabled) people get their pants on. I have a general idea on how it should look and work, but I could use some help perfecting the design, and this forum is filled with incredibly handy problem solvers.

Specifically, my dad has Parkinson's, and one of his biggest hurdles, is simply getting a pair of pants on. I've googled endlessly, and I've yet to come across a step-in solution like the one I'd like to construct.

I'm prepared to pay someone with the mechanical design background for their help

Thanks,
Jason

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-06-2015, 12:52 PM
HAYSHAKER170
2006 TJ Wrangler 

If you need a CAD guy let me know.
post #3 of 6 Old 04-07-2015, 04:36 AM
pentastarguy
Web Wheeler
2015 JK Wrangler 

if you are really serious, i believe "cause" is an engineer and might be able to help.. imho, not needed. they have in home aids that will come and give the help needed and will be covered by ins.

post #4 of 6 Old 04-07-2015, 05:09 AM Thread Starter
jason370
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentastarguy View Post
if you are really serious, i believe "cause" is an engineer and might be able to help.. imho, not needed. they have in home aids that will come and give the help needed and will be covered by ins.

I'm all too familiar with in home aides, and they are only covered by medicaid if you have no money. If you have any money at all, then you pay 100 percent out of pocket until the point which you have no more money. Only then do you become medicaid eligible, and only then will the aide be covered. We had several aides, which ran 100k/year. It hurt, bad. My dad fired them all because the only thing they'd do is help him get his pants on, and then keep the couch from floating away the rest of the day.

But even that little tidbit of information is moot when you're dealing with an incredibly stubborn, proud old man who insists on doing everything himself. It's a simple enough concept, and I'm going to design and build it. It would be better if I enlisted the help of someone with training and experience building things.

It will work no matter what, but I can build something crude myself, or something elegant with the right persons help. I like doing things the right way.

2005 LJ
2002 WJ
post #5 of 6 Old 04-22-2015, 12:11 PM
DaRealFonz
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Just my 2 cents here while insurance will pay for home health, any little thing that you can have the patient do on their own, simple things of everyday living will greatly boost self esteem and can help with recovery or just peace of mind. I say if you have an idea go for it, I've meet patients that are hard core and will not get help no matter how much they struggle.

Nursing student.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-22-2015, 12:17 PM
DaRealFonz
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I would say build a prototype and have someone use it for a while, you will see where you can improve and where you are lacking, also how easy or difficult it is to use. Once you have that, then you can invest it refining and marketing your invention.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.