Gym Noob advice - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 04-14-2017, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

Gym Noob advice

The basics: just turned 30, never been out of shape per say, but never been in shape either. Hard work keeps me from being overweight pretty much. 6'1" tall tipping the scales at about 180. Never been the gym type, always just the weak guy around, gyms make me uncomfortable when i am the smallest guy in the room.

Looking to bulk up a bit. I don't want to be Huge by any means, but would like to gain overall strength. Upper body is my focus. Last time i was on a bench press, 135lbs was all i could manage.

any suggestions for me? I have been going to the gym for about 3 months, mainly to support my wife in her weight loss goals. Been doing some machines and cardio. They are supporting her, but not helping me towards my goal of strength gains. as mentioned above, i am weak so it is pretty intimidating to go to the free weights and follow the guy who just benched 350 with my little 135.

1998 ZJ-- lowered a touch

2005 GMC 2500HD 496 C.I.

Fat Amy-1989 K5 blazer. Linked, lifted, 38.5's on won tons. Big Girls can play in the woods too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-23-2017, 10:11 AM
waynaferd

Your quads are the biggest muscles in your body...get them to grow and everything else will grow too....so don't skip legs!!!

Machines work fine and I just do higher reps with lower weight....do a day for chest, back, shoulders, and legs. Arms get worked in pretty much every upper body movement, so I personally don't do a lot for them....although I should

Right now I don't have a whole bunch of time to lift so just try to hit squats, bench, and deadlifts, plus some shoulder and calf work as those are my weak spots

I aim for 3 sets of 8 reps on the heavier compound exercises, then do 15+ reps for the other stuff on the machines....

There are literally millions of routines online....just find one you like and stick with it for at least a month....

Get plenty of rest, drink plenty of water, and get in enough good protein and things will grow....it'll take a few weeks to notice so just keep with it

And them guys benching 350 all started at 135 at one time or another, so don't worry about them....I personally pay attention to all the yoga pants bending and flexing more than anything lol

A 55 '5 and a 77 '7
post #3 of 9 Old 04-25-2017, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynaferd View Post
Your quads are the biggest muscles in your body...get them to grow and everything else will grow too....so don't skip legs!!!

Machines work fine and I just do higher reps with lower weight....do a day for chest, back, shoulders, and legs. Arms get worked in pretty much every upper body movement, so I personally don't do a lot for them....although I should

Right now I don't have a whole bunch of time to lift so just try to hit squats, bench, and deadlifts, plus some shoulder and calf work as those are my weak spots

I aim for 3 sets of 8 reps on the heavier compound exercises, then do 15+ reps for the other stuff on the machines....

There are literally millions of routines online....just find one you like and stick with it for at least a month....

Get plenty of rest, drink plenty of water, and get in enough good protein and things will grow....it'll take a few weeks to notice so just keep with it

And them guys benching 350 all started at 135 at one time or another, so don't worry about them....I personally pay attention to all the yoga pants bending and flexing more than anything lol

I do a bit of legs, but not much on them. I deadlift stuff on a pretty regular basis at work, Usually Large electric motors and large hunks of steel. My job requires me to carry a 450lb motor with the help of only 1 other guy up a flight of stairs and across about 60'.

i've always heard to lift as heavy as you can, so that is what i have been doing. only about 5 reps on the machines of as much as i can do at that amount. i may try lowering the weight and increasing reps.

i don't expect immediate results, i know it takes time and will take years most likely to get to where i actually want to be.

thanks

2005 GMC 2500HD 496 C.I.

Fat Amy-1989 K5 blazer. Linked, lifted, 38.5's on won tons. Big Girls can play in the woods too.

post #4 of 9 Old 04-27-2017, 06:00 PM
waynaferd

I'm 40 now but back in my late 20s I dabbled in prohormones (still legal) and would lift stupid heavy for low reps....got pretty big but nowadays my right shoulder, right hip, and left knee let me know that nope, you ain't lifting that today lol

Actually have been doing decline bench presses for a few years now as it takes some stress of the shoulders

Just be careful with your form on heavy weights, anyhow!!

A 55 '5 and a 77 '7
post #5 of 9 Old 05-13-2017, 09:28 PM
pentastarguy
Web Wheeler
2015 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by underpowered View Post
I do a bit of legs, but not much on them. I deadlift stuff on a pretty regular basis at work, Usually Large electric motors and large hunks of steel. My job requires me to carry a 450lb motor with the help of only 1 other guy up a flight of stairs and across about 60'.

i've always heard to lift as heavy as you can, so that is what i have been doing. only about 5 reps on the machines of as much as i can do at that amount. i may try lowering the weight and increasing reps.

i don't expect immediate results, i know it takes time and will take years most likely to get to where i actually want to be.

thanks
patients grasshopper! you will hear many things and not all are based on science nor based on what works for you. slow and steady is the way to go. diet is 80% of the training. veggies and low fat protein is what is needed.
a routine i have had success with is working to muscle failure. i would stick with compound movements. experiment until you find a weight you can do 12 reps, and no more. rest 2 minutes, add 10 pounds, "2 5 pound plates " then do 8 reps, rest 2 minutes add 10 pounds and do 6 reps. exercise each muscle group x2 a week. after 6 weeks of this, you will be adding an additional 5 to 10 pounds to your first 12 reps every 2 to 3weeks as you grow stronger, which of course means your 8 and 6 rep lift will be heavier.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-26-2017, 06:20 PM
ericwudi0830

try the 5x5 stronglifts workout if you're starting out

I don't drive fast, I fly low
post #7 of 9 Old 05-29-2017, 09:18 AM
wildride89
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericwudi0830 View Post
try the 5x5 stronglifts workout if you're starting out
Good advice, that will definitely help with strength. Hypertrophy based workouts higher reps will build size if that's what your looking for. Calisthenics is good too. I think it's less taxing on joints. Strength>size.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-30-2017, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

thanks. i'll look into trying some of that.

strength is what i am after, but size i am sure will come with it as well. I have mentioned in the first post, i am far from a "big" guy as it is.

doing what i have, i haven't really added much weight, but have increased my reps from what i started out doing.

2005 GMC 2500HD 496 C.I.

post #9 of 9 Old 05-31-2017, 06:05 PM
waynaferd

I dabbled in the 5x5 routines, squatting 3x weekly, and I got more strength than size doing so...I'm too old for that now though just squats once a week wears me out lol

A 55 '5 and a 77 '7

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.