Gym Clowns - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Fitness and Nutrition > Gym Clowns

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 08-28-2013, 07:06 PM   #121
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevilJeeper

Are you ****ting me? You can't do anything anymore!

Once I make the switch here soon, I'm hoping I can get loads that take me up through the state parks. Last time I went snowboarding, I got a damn good core workout. I was surprised how much your abs ache afterward if you're not in shape.
Yeah I haven't been in a few years. Used to go 4+ times a week. Now they added 14 different ski resorts to the park all along the west of the US. Pretty good deal. Without the pass its like $70 for 8 hours. I really want to get a pass again but I probably won't. Sucks too. My girlfriend got me a brand new pair of pants that I've used once

My legs always got a good workout. Abs too but I was still remotely in shape so those weren't bad.

Unread 08-29-2013, 04:59 AM   #122
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Core and cardio have always been my weak point. Mostly because core brings me to the point of vomiting when I work that out like I do everything else.

Running just sucks, I've always had severe back issues when running. My lower back cramps up really bad, as in I can't move at all once I get a mile into it. I don't know what it is, but that's the main reason I don't run. My knees will feel like they're being stabbed shortly after... then just as I started to break a sweat, I'm down and out. After that my lower back is knotted up, cramped, and stiff for days afterward.

Still not enough power.
SunDevilJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 11:08 PM   #123
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevilJeeper View Post
Core and cardio have always been my weak point. Mostly because core brings me to the point of vomiting when I work that out like I do everything else.

Running just sucks, I've always had severe back issues when running. My lower back cramps up really bad, as in I can't move at all once I get a mile into it. I don't know what it is, but that's the main reason I don't run. My knees will feel like they're being stabbed shortly after... then just as I started to break a sweat, I'm down and out. After that my lower back is knotted up, cramped, and stiff for days afterward.
It sounds like you get your period everytime you run.

There is an old lady at our local gym who wears DeWalt utility gloves when she does all of the machines wrong. Her and her friend hop on the hamstring curl machine with their butts at the end of the seat and they just kinda flop up and down without actually curling their legs.

Yesterday there was a guy who used the adjustable incline bench when I was done. Note, it's adjustable. So he adjusts the back and then sticks the block of wood we have to do calves with on the smith machine, under the butt end. Why did you go through all of the trouble of adjusting the back just to change the angle with the block?

And today at the school gym there was a guy who was on his knees bouncing a medicine ball for a solid 20 minutes straight. Then he grabs one of the big balls and tries to do pushups with his feet on the big one and his hands on the medicine ball. He's all wobbly and **** and he keeps cussing like someone is pushing him off the balls. Little man syndrome man. It's killer.
Unread 12-22-2013, 01:30 PM   #124
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Oh man. I just read through this whole thread. I used to work out for about two hours every day before work from about 0430-0630. Nothing hardcore, just a basic routine and cardio. I'd then proceed to go frame houses for 10-12 hours. I wasn't super jacked or anything, but I was cut, toned and in pretty great healthiness

18 months ago I had a wall fall on me at work. I broke my hip, pelvis, 3 ribs, and screwed up my lower back. 3 surgeries, 11 months on crutches, 4 months on a cane I'm finally starting to try and get back into shape.

A total lack of activity coupled with a poor diet has taken almost 3" off my chest, nearly 2" off my arms, added over 3" to my waist and about 2.5" off my legs. I'm soggy and unhealthy feeling.

I've been trying to get back to the gym but its all the judgement and comments like those in this thread that make it hard to keep motivations up. I admit I don't know a lot of what I'm doing at the gym. I no longer know what weights I can tolerate, how many reps I can do, which workouts will kill my hip and back, I'm not sure which exercises to do or which machines to use or how.

I used to have a descent routine, ok-ish form, and a fairly solid plan. But now my goals and my body have changed drastically and I'm sure I look like an effing tard at the gym. I get the dirty looks and snide remarks and it honestly sucks. I'm doing the best I can. But the gym seems to be full of dicks that think they're so much better, smarter or more right than everyone else.

Hard to stay motivated to improve in an environment like that. Being judged and mocked at the gym is discouraging. Everyone has to start some where and you don't always.know some ones story. I'm sure I look like the scrawny d-bag changing weights too much, changing machines too often, lifting too much with bad form then reducing the weight and trying again...rather than mock me I'd appreciate if some yoked out gym rat spent his 10 words correcting me instead. At least then I'd have one less excuse for "doing it wrong."

Cheers
Sparrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2013, 08:38 PM   #125
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I help the people who can be helped when I can. I understand that people have no idea what they are doing and didn't have four years of weight room in high school under a trained coach but that doesn't mean I have the time to help every atom, Dick and Harry I come across because then I might as well be a personal trainer.

The people I talk about are the ones who don't even pay attention to the other people in the gym. I see someone try something new that looks effective, I'll give it a shot based on what they do. Monkey see, monkey do.

The first thing one does when in a new environment is observe the natives to learn how to act and fit in. Not these people. No way, no how.

I'm sure you're not as bad as you think. We are our own toughest critics.
Unread 12-22-2013, 09:35 PM   #126
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgoesrawr View Post
I help the people who can be helped when I can. I understand that people have no idea what they are doing and didn't have four years of weight room in high school under a trained coach but that doesn't mean I have the time to help every atom, Dick and Harry I come across because then I might as well be a personal trainer.

The people I talk about are the ones who don't even pay attention to the other people in the gym. I see someone try something new that looks effective, I'll give it a shot based on what they do. Monkey see, monkey do.

The first thing one does when in a new environment is observe the natives to learn how to act and fit in. Not these people. No way, no how.

I'm sure you're not as bad as you think. We are our own toughest critics.
I don't expect anyone to hold my hand.
I also expect them to offer a level of patience and general human decency. We all pay the same to be there and are all at the gym for relatively the the same reason.

I'm probably worse than I think haha.
But yeah, I have had literally zero formal training or help. No work out partners, nothing. I spent about 2.5 years just reading books, watching videos, reading on forums, etc and kinda built my own routine. I'd switch it up ever few months by adding/subtracting things just to keep it varied. I was probably doing 99% of it wrong, but I still saw impressive results (probably half was from the gym and half was just from my job), but now I can barely find the motivation to drive the 3/4 of a mile to the gym.

Mostly it's because of the people acting superior and being d-bags about it.(like a lot of the comments in this thread.) I just wanted to point out that working out is like everything else.

Everyone starts out knowing nothing and is a "newb." Everyone has different goals. Everyone has different paths. Same with Jeeps. Most on JF started out knowing very little (how they found JF in the first place,) and almost every one has a different build, and a different goal for their rig from mild to wild. But we're all still Jeepers and all still share the passion. Not that there isn't the odd d-bag or a$$hat here and there (my club has a few) but all in all we're all just people doing the same shat together.

Anyways, I just wanted to post from the other side of the fence. eeking:
I used to LOVE lifting and exercising and pushing myself, and now it's hard just to show my face in the gym let alone sweat it out...

Cheers
Unread 12-22-2013, 10:03 PM   #127
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I understand bud.

I try not to joke about the people that actually try, because there are many of them and I have seen some people lose major lbs. learning as they go.

Still, there is no help for some. Like the people who insist on a 3" BL and beaver teeth.
Unread 12-22-2013, 10:22 PM   #128
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgoesrawr View Post
I understand bud.

I try not to joke about the people that actually try, because there are many of them and I have seen some people lose major lbs. learning as they go.

Still, there is no help for some. Like the people who insist on a 3" BL and beaver teeth.
Haha I can agree with that bro! I'm not trying to be overly defensive either. I gots thick skin, I think a lot of it is just being constantly punched in the face by the reality how far I've fallen.

All in all I just need to find my motivation and a good routine I can stick with for the first 30-45 days to build up the "habbit" of going and get past the crazy pain I get the day after.

Which is why I came over to this corner of JF.
Maybe you can be my work out partner from accross the miles haha. Help me lock down a routine and diet and blow my phone up to make sure I go lol.

Cheers
Unread 12-25-2013, 01:22 AM   #129
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Some of these posts are ignorant as hell... people are free to wear what they want and exercise how they want. Maybe one should focus on their own workout instead of others. I'm thankful that my dad taught me proper etiquette and form every time i'm at the gym. Especially at college when a lot of freshman try it for the first time and its obvious they're new. I don't judge because I was in their shoes once.

My build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thor-dd-weekend-warrior-1348534/
Kodiak17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2013, 05:02 PM   #130
nwiTJdave

It's that time of the year When all the new year resolution folks show up and pack the gyms. Two thumbs down.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

This is for fighting, this is for fun.
nwiTJdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2013, 05:22 PM   #131
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwiTJdave
It's that time of the year When all the new year resolution folks show up and pack the gyms. Two thumbs down.

They'll be gone come end of the month.

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2013, 11:00 AM   #132
nwiTJdave

Yea, just sucks for the month, lol.

This is for fighting, this is for fun.
nwiTJdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2013, 01:23 PM   #133
BamaJeepman21
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Last year most of them lasted a week. No joke. 1 week and they were gone.

-Jack
BamaJeepman21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2013, 01:05 PM   #134
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I'm dreading the resolutionary war for stations at my gym.

I'm just gonna do lots of legs, it keeps ol Arm Day Charlie at a good distance as well.
Unread 12-30-2013, 01:12 PM   #135
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'm just taking no bull****. Doing anything but legs in a squat rack and I'm kicking you out.

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.