GMO Foods: Genetically Modified Organism - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Fitness and Nutrition > GMO Foods: Genetically Modified Organism

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-15-2013, 01:55 PM   #76
88hatchy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrdchiropractic View Post
When you genetically modify something like corn, it's not really corn anymore.
GMO's are known in some instances to absorb differently. Most foods are genetically modified to withstand large doses of pesticide and herbicide. Yummy, I want my veggies to be grown by soaking up round-up laced water.
Sounds like the babies being born with flippers all over again. You can go to mercola.com to learn more. I'm gonna go dunk my jeep in the pond.
Round-Up biodegrades after several days. Even if the plant absorbed it, it wouldn't be toxic.

88hatchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2013, 02:38 AM   #77
THOR114

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Does everyone believe that pesticides and herbicides are healthy? And junk food is healthy? They are full of sugar, salt and fats. And that there is no link between fast food and obesity? Really??? If so- then that is sad.Very sad...But anyways, everyone is entitled to their opinion...

"http://youtu.be/_RMnPTd_F1U"- Fast Food Causes Obesity

"http://youtu.be/slwgXXVXM3I"- Fault Lines-Fast Food, Fat Profits

"http://youtu.be/H5ObLkoELaU"-Generation XL- Obesity in America

"http://youtu.be/kJsAcpUkR_Q"-Obesity in America-Obesity Epidemic

"http://youtu.be/ZViOIMONFqM"- Causes of Obesity in the US

"http://youtu.be/BHi_CjyRPT0"- Fast Food Babies
THOR114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2013, 06:13 AM   #78
88hatchy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by THOR114 View Post
Does everyone believe that pesticides and herbicides are healthy? And junk food is healthy? They are full of sugar, salt and fats. And that there is no link between fast food and obesity? Really??? If so- then that is sad.Very sad...But anyways, everyone is entitled to their opinion...

"http://youtu.be/_RMnPTd_F1U"- Fast Food Causes Obesity

"http://youtu.be/slwgXXVXM3I"- Fault Lines-Fast Food, Fat Profits

"http://youtu.be/H5ObLkoELaU"-Generation XL- Obesity in America

"http://youtu.be/kJsAcpUkR_Q"-Obesity in America-Obesity Epidemic

"http://youtu.be/ZViOIMONFqM"- Causes of Obesity in the US

"http://youtu.be/BHi_CjyRPT0"- Fast Food Babies
This thread isn't about fast food, pesticides, or herbicides. Changing the subject isn't helping your case.
88hatchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2013, 09:39 AM   #79
THOR114

2004 TJ Wrangler 

It is linked together. But we can make a fast food thread. Hatchy, do you want to open it?
Unread 04-20-2013, 07:32 PM   #80
THOR114

2004 TJ Wrangler 

YouTube (Short URL)
?start=" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

This explains a lot. Enjoy.
Unread 05-08-2013, 10:51 PM   #81
THOR114

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Check out this video on YouTube:

YouTube (Short URL)

Imfound this video about genetically engineered trees. It is very, very scary...

Sent thru the ether via iBats
Unread 06-02-2013, 12:07 AM   #82
THOR114

2004 TJ Wrangler 

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...paign=20130602

This shows an interesting article by dr Mercola about food safety of genetically modified foods....

Sent from my Jeep - Just Emptying Every Pocket
Unread 06-03-2013, 01:24 PM   #83
PurpleTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Don't have time to read the whole thread, just skimmed through.

I opened my eyes to this whole thing a couple years ago. I don't know the specifics or truth about a lot of it, because the more I read and learn, the more it sickens me. All I know is that nature should NOT be ****ed with in this fashion, yet that's exactly what we continue to do. Whether or not GMO is bad for us or lacking their natural nutrients, the whole idea is wrong wrong wrong. Humans are throwing nature out of balance.

But I digress. I'll try not to send this to PRC I have started my own organic garden in the back yard. Once I get out from under my dad's roof, I plan to take it full scale and grow as much food as I possibly can. I'm talkin chickens, goat/s, maybe a cow, a food forest, and acres of garden. An aquaponics set up too if I think I can pull it off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarpower View Post
Get a good tummy tuck with engine skid and treat it like a pimp does a crack whore.
Purple Jeep Club member #8

My Purple People Eater Build
PurpleTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 01:41 PM   #84
THOR114

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Two thumbs up!!!! Thanks. Getting my own garden going too, cannot do too much area, but a little bit will work and supply wonderful organic naturally pesticide free veggies.

Unread 06-03-2013, 02:20 PM   #85
XtrailratedJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLOUXJ View Post
I am willing to bet money that you would not be able to tell the difference between "organic" and "conventional grown" in a blind taste test.
I'm willing to bet money that I can, the taste is different. I used to think like you did, till I started doing side by side taste testing myself.

Chicken, fish, tomatoes, milk, eggs, corn, garlic just to name a few.

You should drink organic milk for a month, then try a glass of the non-organic. There is a clear chemical taste. This was the biggest difference I noticed.

Personally, I am more of a supporter of supporting local farms for my produce and meat more than the whole organic kick, but it just so happens that most of my sources are organic. I do most of my food shopping at weekend farmers markets. I am also a member of a food co-op, where members actually go out and "interview" farmers and tour farms before they will start buying their product.

One shocking thing I've noticed is that I'm SAVING money by going organic and local. I've done multiple comparisons vs the chain grocery stores, and the difference is significant. Now if I were to buy organics at the chain grocery, thats where the money would get totally blown.

I prefer organic, but I don't trust labelling at all. It would be so easy to slap on a sticker or label and sell something as organic for a higher price. I like knowing where my food is coming from, why is why I try to minimize what I buy a the grocery store. I've also starting growing my own veggies this spring, and plan on expanding as I learn more.

For those of you who say that the organic farms are pushing a false agenda to sell their product, you are ****ing idiots. These companies are making pennies per dollar made by giant corporate food producers. There is a reason why these foods are banned in much of Europe.

Also, splicing two plants together is technically GE I suppose, but not what the likes of Monsanto are doing and not whats being discussed here. They are modifying DNA in labs, creating new versions of crops that are largely untested on humans. I will let you guys who are calling the OP stupid be the lab rats and after 20+ of no negative effects, I'll consider buying the GMO stuff. Until then, I'll continue saving money buying a better product than most are getting. The whole mindset of thinking that these producers care about the end comsumer at all is comical, they care about the money and nothing else. Minimizing lost crops, etc. On top of that they are destroying the small local farmers.

Originally Posted by Durt_Diver:
Those pics might be a little too flexy for this thread. You don't happen to have any pics of your friends xj on a curb by chance?
XtrailratedJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 02:55 PM   #86
THOR114

2004 TJ Wrangler 

You got some really good points there.did you heard what happened to the f

Former Percy Schemiser in Canada? He had organic seed, I am thinking it was canola or something like that, and somehow in a mysterious way his field got tainted by Monsanto crops.... Well, long story short. He had to close down his farm I think , and Monsanto sued him for patent infringement....I think he lost everything. And lots of that stuff is going on. I wished organic would be less expensive here. But it's ridiculous expensive here in California. I am planting my own garden as well. Do my own compost and give nutrients to the soil so it can produce good, healthy crops.

So, am happy for you that organic is cheaper there, I try o buy it too, but cannot always. As my budget allows. But yes, absolutely, I d rather support local farmers then give my few bucks into the hands of big food companies....

Unread 06-03-2013, 03:03 PM   #87
XtrailratedJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by THOR114 View Post
You got some really good points there.did you heard what happened to the f

Former Percy Schemiser in Canada? He had organic seed, I am thinking it was canola or something like that, and somehow in a mysterious way his field got tainted by Monsanto crops.... Well, long story short. He had to close down his farm I think , and Monsanto sued him for patent infringement....I think he lost everything. And lots of that stuff is going on. I wished organic would be less expensive here. But it's ridiculous expensive here in California. I am planting my own garden as well. Do my own compost and give nutrients to the soil so it can produce good, healthy crops.

So, am happy for you that organic is cheaper there, I try o buy it too, but cannot always. As my budget allows. But yes, absolutely, I d rather support local farmers then give my few bucks into the hands of big food companies....

I did hear that story and its total bull****. And it now has set a precident that will allow even more smaller farms to be shut down.

Like I said, at the grocery, organic is significantly more. I have to seek out the markets I go to and sometimes will drive as far a 50 miles. But, it something I enjoy doing. Getting out and talking to like minded people. The vendors help me and give me advise on my own garden. Great food vendors that use ingredients bought at that same market. Many times there will be live music and activities for kids. Its a wholesome good time, and a better experience the the grocery store. (Best part, I don't have to look at all the tabloid smut at the checkout)

You should seek out something similar in your area.

Those pics might be a little too flexy for this thread. You don't happen to have any pics of your friends xj on a curb by chance?
Unread 06-03-2013, 03:09 PM   #88
TexasYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneJeeper View Post
You know how many "normal" foods have been genetically modified for centuries? Broccoli is man made. Bananas have been selected for small seeds.

There is a difference between "selective breeding" and genetic modification. I am not specifically taking one side or the other in this...but there is a big difference.

Selective breeding allows for more dominant traits to emerge over a multitude of generations....I spent a lot of summers de-tasseling field corn in Iowa for hybrid corn companies....ask me about selective breeding.

Genetic Modification (GM), from my understanding, and it has been a few years since I was in undergrad genetics, is typically done in the laboratory and done specifically on the genome level. The roundup corn is a great example....a gene is spliced into the corns genetic code which allows the corn to be resistant to round up, which will typically kill corn.

As I am not a geneticist, I welcome further clarification. I just wanted to clarify that development and evolution of broccoli, bananas and sweet corn, through selective breeding, is quite different than deliberate genome manipulation.
TexasYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 03:24 PM   #89
XtrailratedJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasYJ View Post
There is a difference between "selective breeding" and genetic modification. I am not specifically taking one side or the other in this...but there is a big difference.

Selective breeding allows for more dominant traits to emerge over a multitude of generations....I spent a lot of summers de-tasseling field corn in Iowa for hybrid corn companies....ask me about selective breeding.

Genetic Modification (GM), from my understanding, and it has been a few years since I was in undergrad genetics, is typically done in the laboratory and done specifically on the genome level. The roundup corn is a great example....a gene is spliced into the corns genetic code which allows the corn to be resistant to round up, which will typically kill corn.

As I am not a geneticist, I welcome further clarification. I just wanted to clarify that development and evolution of broccoli, bananas and sweet corn, through selective breeding, is quite different than deliberate genome manipulation.
EXACTLY!

Unread 03-22-2014, 07:45 PM   #90
THOR114

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Hey guys!

New YouTube movies are available on YouTube. Here is the link to one of them:
Check out this video on YouTube:

YouTube (Short URL)

jeep parts

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.