Fast Food and Obesity - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Fitness and Nutrition > Fast Food and Obesity

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 04-22-2013, 10:49 AM   #16
happymudder10
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Whenever someone tells me that eating healthy is more expensive, I always point out that I'm spending more money on food, but I make up for it in not having to buy prescriptions and Dr. visits.

It is sad that we treat our Jeeps better than our bodies. We will go out and buy $1,000 Savvy control arms instead of RC arms at a fraction of the price, yet say that we eat McDonalds because it is cheaper than buying real food.

And for the person that said that it is ok to cheat every now and then, it is a proven fact that your brain recognizes and reacts to sugar the same way it reacts to drugs. So with that being said, would you give someone that is trying to stop doing heroin a "cheat day" and let him inject himself because he was so good for 3 weeks?

Unread 04-22-2013, 11:57 AM   #17
Glockgirl26
2013 JK Wrangler 

Eating healthy doesn't have to be expensive and cooking does not have to be complicated. I eat fast food rarely...due in part to the fact that I don't actually get to leave my workplace for lunch. I have to pack, therefore it's just as easy to pack something healthy as it is to pack junk.

Leftovers, soups, chili...can be made both inexpensively and reasonably healthy and make great lunches, especially when it's cold out. Sandwiches and salads when it's warmer. Apples and bananas can't be beat as far as price per pound, and make fantastic portable snacks. A dozen eggs costs less than $2 and a hard cooked egg is also a great portable little protein snack, and a whopping 70 calories or so for one.

Occasionally stores will have BOGO on those bags of frozen chicken breasts, and doesn't take any longer to cook 4 than it would take to cook 1. Throw a couple extra on the grill / skillet with varied seasonings and you got makings for endless things for a couple more days.

I bring a gallon of filtered water from home everyday (use a Britta filter and tap water, very little $$$). Have a can of Pepsi or Dew once or twice a week as a treat. I have a horrible sweet tooth and will admit I'm weak about sugar. I try to allow myself treats in moderation and watch portions. Life is too short to be too severely restrictive.
Unread 04-22-2013, 01:00 PM   #18
tangotag
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I'm at week 4 now in my no Fast Food, no soda, and no sugary treats change dealing with GERD. I am down a couple more pounds, blood pressure dropped a couple points too. My pants are loose but I can't quite jump into the smaller size just yet.

Meal portion size, for me, has cut in size eating higher quality foods but I feel full for longer periods of time. Not sure what brings that on but I suspect the nutrient quality increase has something to do with this. I am also now off Prilosec OTC on a daily basis and that is another cost savings. I'm not sure if this is linked but I also seem to require less sleep than prior to the change.

The most difficult change was the first four days of suck going through caffeine withdrawal after that it's been relatively easy. I didn't want to do the change I had to because of a medical condition and now I feel much better than I have in years. Even my wife is on board in the healthy meals but she still has occasional sugary snacks and the occasional soda but has lost some extra pounds too. I look at the whole healty food change as a win-win for me.
tangotag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2013, 01:10 PM   #19
happymudder10
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I'm going on 4 years of no fast food. When I don't have time to eat lunch, I always keep a bag of almonds and some Shakeology at my desk with a shaker bottle.
Unread 04-22-2013, 01:34 PM   #20
THOR114
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Tango tag, I am really happy for you, you are doing a tremendous great job, and your body and health will tell you. Glad your wife is on board. She will be possibly your strongest ally to create and cook healthier, home-cooked meals.

I think that healthy foods are more nutrient-dense, which keeps you full longer. And you also do not feel that you ate a " rock"... In my case a whole " rock- garden"- lol...junk food is mainly based on 3 flavors: salt ( sodium) which makes arteries brittle and gives us high blood pressure, sugar ( diabetes1 and diabetes 2), and fat ( obesity, heart disease, cardio vascular diseases). So that said, those are the most ingredients in fast food.

Leptin is a hormon in our body which regulates us feeling full. It is getting intercepted by hi fructose corn syrup. Hi fructose corn syrup is super sweet, cheap sugar, being put in many sodas. Hi fructose tells our brain" I want more of that stuff" and intercepts with Leptin. And the so called diet sodas contain mainly aspartame or artificial sweetener. Aspartame causes cancer, it's a GMO, not good for you, just don't eat or drink it. And watch chewing gums. It is in there too...

So, I am really happy you are doing great and feeling better. I decided I allow myself to have once in a while meat, maybe one or max two servings per week, everything else is veggies and fruits. I try to eliminate starches( like breads, but i allow myself complex carbs like potatoes and brown unprocessed rice). As snacks I have raw almonds and pumpkin seeds in my car. And like somebody else said, bananas and apples and even a cooked egg make a good treat on the go. And it's easy to be prepared. Totally agree on that....

I don't even remember when I last ate fast food, the problem I have is fried food. Yes I love fried chicken. It's a comfort food, but when I make it, I do that from scratch and at home.... So that's what I meant by the occasional allowance to let myself sin with an occasional fried chicken or squid....
But allowing myself once in a blue moon to have a piece of comfort food, ( home cooked), allows me to stay on track with eating healthy all around.

Keep up the good job, two thumbs up!!!

THOR114 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2013, 05:05 PM   #21
Swagger_Wagon
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88hatchy View Post
Not true. You could eat a can of tuna with a serving of (steam in bag) vegetables and be far ahead of two McDoubles. You might not feel as full, but you will have eaten more actual food.
Don't eat seafood. And those steam Birds Eye bags are more than 2 McDoubles alone. I know, I always eat a NY Strip + bag of Lightly Sauced Red Potato Birds Eye steam bag once a week.
The Jeep is a manly device. And a womanly device. An American device. Its a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve. Okay, were a little crazy to have a Jeep for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius
Go to Heaven for the climate, go to Hell for the company.
Swagger_Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2013, 05:38 PM   #22
BamaJeepman21
1998 TJ Wrangler 

3 McChickens are $3.28 for me at McDonalds. Something around 1,080 calories, 80g's of protein, and some other stuff. Expensive but if you need a quick after workout meal, that's one I'd pick.

I only eat out once a week.

-Jack
BamaJeepman21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 06:03 PM   #23
88hatchy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swagger_Wagon View Post
Don't eat seafood. And those steam Birds Eye bags are more than 2 McDoubles alone. I know, I always eat a NY Strip + bag of Lightly Sauced Red Potato Birds Eye steam bag once a week.
Why shouldn't I be eating seafood?
88hatchy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 11:35 PM   #24
Swagger_Wagon
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88hatchy View Post
Why shouldn't I be eating seafood?
Sorry. I meant that I personally do not eat seafood. Eaten it plenty of times, it's just not my thing.
The Jeep is a manly device. And a womanly device. An American device. Its a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve. Okay, were a little crazy to have a Jeep for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius
Go to Heaven for the climate, go to Hell for the company.
Swagger_Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2013, 05:36 PM   #25
XJ99
Draft Line

2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockgirl26 View Post
Eating healthy doesn't have to be expensive and cooking does not have to be complicated. I eat fast food rarely...due in part to the fact that I don't actually get to leave my workplace for lunch. I have to pack, therefore it's just as easy to pack something healthy as it is to pack junk.

Leftovers, soups, chili...can be made both inexpensively and reasonably healthy and make great lunches, especially when it's cold out. Sandwiches and salads when it's warmer. Apples and bananas can't be beat as far as price per pound, and make fantastic portable snacks. A dozen eggs costs less than $2 and a hard cooked egg is also a great portable little protein snack, and a whopping 70 calories or so for one.

Occasionally stores will have BOGO on those bags of frozen chicken breasts, and doesn't take any longer to cook 4 than it would take to cook 1. Throw a couple extra on the grill / skillet with varied seasonings and you got makings for endless things for a couple more days.

I bring a gallon of filtered water from home everyday (use a Britta filter and tap water, very little $$$). Have a can of Pepsi or Dew once or twice a week as a treat. I have a horrible sweet tooth and will admit I'm weak about sugar. I try to allow myself treats in moderation and watch portions. Life is too short to be too severely restrictive.
I buy everything on sale, and stock the freezer up.
If chicken is on sale, I'll buy a bunch of chicken.
Spiral hams go on sale for half price around
certain holidays. They're vacuumed sealed, and
last for ever in the freezer. I just checked, and I
paid $15-$16 per ham. Chicken is 50% off right
now, so I bought a dozen packs. Boston Butts
are $1 per pound right now, so I bought 3.
(great for making sausage!)

I find it's a lot cheaper to eat better, than to eat
out or frozen foods. When I cook, it might be a
little more up front, but you have to think about
all the left overs. Works out to be much cheaper
in the end. Stews are cheap, and good for you.
(pressure cooker is my friend!)

Example:

Meal one: Ham with a rice and lentils.
Cost:
$15 for the Ham
$1 small bag of lentils Lentils (makes more than one)
$2.50 bag of rice (makes a lot more than one)
$1.50 can of diced tomates with green chilies.
A small onion? Usually spend around $3 for a 5 lb bag.

Serves 8
Total: $2.50 each! Say $3 if I have to buy onions.

I always have the other stuff on hand such as seasoning,
olive oil, and yes onions..

Meal two: Ham and swiss sandwiches on whole grain
bread. Usually less than a week, we are sick of ham,
so I cube up 1 1/2 pounds of meat, and freeze it
along with the ham bone.
Cost:
Ham $ Bought and paid for.
$2.50 Swiss cheese (10 slices)
$2.50 Whole Grain Bread (loaf) (7-8 sandwiches???)
$2 bag of utz Kettle Classics Reduced Fat
(not all that bad for you if you stick to the serving size)
Plus odds are you might have some sprouts, lettuce,
or maybe a tomato hanging around.

Total: $7
Serves $7+
Total:

Meal three: Ham and bean soup!
Cost:
Ham, Bought and paid for.
$3??? Beans
$1.50 pound of carrots (makes more than one)
$3.00 Bag of onions if I had to go out and buy them. (only need one)
$2 Say I had to buy garlic.

Cost: $10?
Serves 16+
Total: $ You do the math..

As for eating fast food, once in a while ain't going
to kill you. When I do eat out, usually it's Wendy's
small chili on top of a baked potato. Sometimes
subway $5 foot long. Half for dinner, save the
other half for lunch. A little high in sodium, which
is another good reason not to eat it everyday.
Unread 05-23-2013, 11:55 AM   #26
NYGLT56
Your Local Body Builder
2003 TJ Wrangler 

It's a lot cheaper to go out and buy groceries. But there are a few times on the run I don't have my meals. I will warn you though. Check the labels on "healthy" fast food items. Sodium is where it hurts the most. Especially for those wanting big guns.
Unread 06-06-2013, 10:38 AM   #27
KG20

My job had Kaiser come in for lipid tests, without fasting, and I was off the charts. Was about 215lb at just under 6'. I got mad and setup a real test at the hospital after fasting for 12 hours. MUCH better results.

I wasn't convinced though. I had been eating somewhat healthy, but more than I should have been. Maybe eating out for two meals a week. In N out and something like Chili's. I started using MyFitnessPal app and counting calories. I only drink water now, besides a lil booze once or twice a month, and don't splurge. I've lost 20 pounds in 2 months and haven't been working out as much the past month. It's just coming off. I play in an adult basketball league and have become much quicker, jump higher, and can play longer.

I know some people go by IIFYM (if it fits your macros) and eat whatever they want as long as it fits in under their numbers, but I don't believe eating fast food to get there is a good idea. I've been a stickler for calories and sodium, and A LOT if not 98% of food from places (even healthy options) are way high. I'll eat at Sharky's and get their Naked Chicken Salad because it's all spinach or romaine with cabbage, a little chicken and mandarin oranges with a light dressing which is <350 calories and low on sodium. It's filling too. I used to eat things like a combo, and an extra side. NOT anymore.

Trying to get to 185. I was there about 7 years ago, until I started a desk job. I think 177-180 would be about right for me. Went from a 38 to 34, so lost 4 inches so far.

Typical day for me, I'll use today:

Breakfast: 2 large egg omelette with spinach, mozzarella cheese, turkey, whole wheat toast with grape jelly. About 430 calories.

Lunch: Spinach with romaine, carrots, garbanzo beans, black olives, cucumber, grape tomatoes, chicken breast, and a trader joe's low fat ranch which is only 40 calories, altogether about 450 calories.

Dinner: whole wheat pasta, chicken breast, sauce about 650 calories. Typically I'll eat this for lunch, and have a salad for dinner, but sometimes it gets switched up.

Then I will snack on a few hundred calories a day. If I work out, which I usually do something, then I earned extra calories which I don't always eat. I'm less hungry when I eat 5-8 small meals a day.
KG20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2013, 07:17 PM   #28
THOR114
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Two thumbs up keep up,the great job! Thanks for sharing!!!!

Sent from my Jeep - Just Emptying Every Pocket
Unread 06-21-2013, 02:36 PM   #29
Itstime
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I try my best to stay away but if its fast food or a skipped meal I go for food. Its not so bad to cheat now and then. I am an ectomorphe so I can cheat a bit more then the average guy and be safe. I still keep my diet clean.
Itstime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2013, 04:20 PM   #30
THOR114
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

What's an ectomorphe?

Sent from my Jeep - Just Emptying Every Pocket

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.