Fast Food and Obesity - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Fitness and Nutrition > Fast Food and Obesity

The NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.comTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 04-16-2013, 11:08 AM   #1
THOR114

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Fast Food and Obesity

What do you eat? What do you think about fast food? How bad or good is it for our bodies? What do you know about Fast Food? What are the main flavors of fast food? post your opinion.

"http://youtu.be/_RMnPTd_F1U"- Fast Food Causes Obesity

"http://youtu.be/slwgXXVXM3I"- Fault Lines-Fast Food, Fat Profits

"http://youtu.be/H5ObLkoELaU"-Generation XL- Obesity in America

"http://youtu.be/kJsAcpUkR_Q"-Obesity in America-Obesity Epidemic

"http://youtu.be/ZViOIMONFqM"- Causes of Obesity in the US

"http://youtu.be/BHi_CjyRPT0"- Fast Food Babies

"http://youtu.be/KatsJk0oBUI" - Doctor Michael Klapper

"http://youtu.be/ATYJx3x0nyo"- Morgan Spurlock's "Supersize Me"- clip

"http://youtu.be/gpLQwWKb3l8"- Joe Cross's Fat, Sick and nearly Dead- full movie, free on youtube, also on HULU and Netflix

"http://youtu.be/4XVf36nwraw"- Doctor Mc Dougal

Books:
1) WHAT TO EAT- by Marion Nestle,ISBN:9-780865477384
2) FAST FOOD NATION- by Eric Schlosser, ISBN:9-780060838584
3) CHEW ON THIS- Eric Schlosser, ISBN:9-780618593941
4) THE McDOUGALL PROGRAM- John A. McDOUGALL, ISBN:9-780452266391

Movies:
Netflix:
1) Fed up
2) Supersize Me
3) Forks Over Knives
4) Engine 2 Rescue Kitchen
5) Fat, sick and nearly dead
6) One Nation Overweight
7)Ingredients
8) Plastic Planet
9) Tapped
10) Poisonous Waters
11) Blue Gold
12) Dying to have known
13)The Gerson Miracle
14)The New Medicine
15)Beautiful Truth
16)Food Fight

THOR114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2013, 12:05 PM   #2
88hatchy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Everyone knows (I hope) that fast food is bad for you. From synthesized sugars, to hydrogenated oils, to preservatives, to the obscene amounts of sodium that's used, it's all terrible. Don't eat it.

Another HUGE reason to not eat it is that it's expensive. For the same amount of money (or less), you could make a delicious, highly nutritious meal. We all know that more money left over is more money for Jeeps parts

Should we start a healthy recipe thread?
88hatchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2013, 12:14 PM   #3
THOR114

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks hatchy-if you want to I am all for it!

I totally agree with you, the problem nowadays is (in my opinion) that fast food may be cheaper then healthy food, but Fast Food carries enormous health risks. It is mostly fat, sugar and salt. And you know if you would pre-cook at home to make several meals out of good food, it might not be so expensive to eat healthy. It really all depends. To eat right you will have to leave your car, walk thru the supermarkets, farmers markets, gardens or wherever you get your veggies from and get your own food. Prepare it and cook it. With fast food, you sit in your car, somebody else made it (the big brains of the food industry engineered it for you, so everything fits good for your tastebuds), it was cooked by somebody else and all you have to do is eat it. Most of the time you eat it right in your car. Sometimes you take it home to your family. Here is that socialization of making food at home and sharing good home made food with your family also missing...just some food for thought
Unread 04-16-2013, 08:00 PM   #4
blubaru2002
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Fast food is awesome. I ate 3 bacon cheese burgers from Wendy's today. They came off the dollar menu. Tasted good but not good for me. Lol. :-)
blubaru2002 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2013, 10:45 PM   #5
tangotag
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I gave up fast food, caffeine, and sweets 3 weeks ago. Many days I would eat fast food two or more meals a day. I had a wake up call needing to take Prilosec OTC more frequently than ever having GERD issues. I also hit my heaviest weight with boxes of thinner again some day clothes collecting dust. I made my mind up, it's time for a big change.

The caffine withdral headaches were horrible for the first four days. Now I mostly drink water all day long. All meals are now from made from scratch, heavy on fruits and vegetables with lean meats. It is expensive and time consuming but I passionately love food, so cooking works for me. Most dinner meals start with a medium salad then a much smaller portioned than what I used to take in by volume. I feel incredible compared to how I felt 3 weeks ago.

Funny thing recently, I had a small amount of Ketchup on some non-salted sweet potato fries and it gave me a slight chemical burn on my tongue taking a few days to heal from the heavy sodium content and acidic tomato base. 3 weeks ago I would have made my burgers and fries swim in the stuff before eating them.

I am down 11 pounds in 3 weeks with just cutting out fast food, sugar sweets, and soda. I plan to continue the food intake to stay with what is working but adding more physical exercise and activities. I wouldn't be surprised if I take off the 50 to 70 pounds that I put on from eating fast foods.
tangotag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2013, 12:55 AM   #6
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

One more time...

It is not what you eat that makes you fat. It is what you do after you eat that makes you fat.

When I was still active (before the last time I got clobbered, but good!) I ate pretty much anything & everything. Eat a whole large pizza for lunch, if I have time. Wake up in the morning, eat a half-dozen eggs, quarter-pound of bacon, lots of toast & coffee, ...

My body fat stayed under 10% - often under 6%. How? Because I was burning off everything I ate.

Growing up, I ate more than both of my folks combined. My body fat probably didn't get above 5% until puberty.

I ate what I wanted, when I wanted, and however much I wanted - only since 2005 have I had to start watching what I eat. Why? I'm nowhere near as active after as I was before - but before, I hadn't suffered a shattered face, broken neck, or fractured pelvis. I ran it all off before - I had to eat myself stupid just to maintain weight! Now, I'm trying to lose weight, I'll be happy if I can get back down around 240-250# (I'm fighting a holding action at 300# right now. Chronic pain causes so many problems.)

If I hadn't gotten clobbered, I'd probably still be eating myself stupid and have less than 10% body fat. And still be running up the stairs to the top floor of an 18-storey building simply because the elevator would take too damned long.

When I was fit, my cholesterol was in balance, my body fat was low, bone & muscle density were phenomenal (I still can't float in fresh water.)

"It is not what you eat that makes you fat. It is what you do after you eat that makes you fat." Passing laws & regs to restrict people's diets is silly, wrongheaded, and won't work. Instead, try encouraging people to get out an exercise - or help enable them to do it (I once walked from Mountain View to Santa Cruz, over CA-17, because I had a few days with nothing to do. Now, I have a hard time walking just a half-mile.)

And, stop taking BMI as an absolute indicator - it's oversimplistic. Body Fat Assay (BFA) is far more indicative of obesity. At fighting weight, I was considered "obese" (6'3", 275#) per BMI despite a consistent BFA of 6-9%. And a 30" waist.

My waistline is now 38". I will freely admit to being "overweight" (302# as of yesterday,) but when I hear "obese" I think of people who are taller when lying down, or wear a belt longer than my wife is tall (5'2".) I am overweight, but I don't consider myself "obese" - between bone density, muscle tissue density, and sheer size, I'm not a "fat bastard" - just a big guy who thinks he's "overbig" and wants to trim down.

Fast food? Maybe once a fortnight or so - I do most of the cooking here at home, so I know what's going into it (and it is actually rather healthy.) Portion control? I no longer eat a whole large pizza as a lunch - or even as a snack.

But, I've been a big guy since puberty (12yo, 6'1", 225#, ~5%BFA) and I can't help genetics. Even running track all through HS, I just kept getting bigger (graduated at 6'2-6'3", 245#. Lost 20lbs in training in the Air Force, gained 50# in short order, and had to do BFAs every quarter to make sure I was at 10% or less to pass the physical.)
Unread 04-17-2013, 01:08 AM   #7
Swagger_Wagon
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88hatchy View Post
Everyone knows (I hope) that fast food is bad for you. From synthesized sugars, to hydrogenated oils, to preservatives, to the obscene amounts of sodium that's used, it's all terrible. Don't eat it.

Another HUGE reason to not eat it is that it's expensive. For the same amount of money (or less), you could make a delicious, highly nutritious meal. We all know that more money left over is more money for Jeeps parts

Should we start a healthy recipe thread?
Being a college kid, I crunched the numbers. Trust me, fast food is cheaper than prepping a healthy meal. Sorry, but that's the truth.

I had 2 McDoubles for lunch today for 2.14$

I ate really healthy for the 4-5 months leading up to spring break. Lost 8 lbs. It broke the bank, and I didn't even really need to lose the weight. Here's to hoping I can afford my beloved blackened chicken (TALKIN BOUT FIRE ON THIS GRILL) and salad with fat free italian dressing every night for dinner when I graduate.

PS: I know it's awful for me.
The Jeep is a manly device. And a womanly device. An American device. Its a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve. Okay, were a little crazy to have a Jeep for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius
Go to Heaven for the climate, go to Hell for the company.
Swagger_Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2013, 01:59 AM   #8
THOR114

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Hey guys! Thanks for posting and sharing! I have this thing with fried food, that is my big downfall. But i think, once in a while its ok to have a small treat. I was always skinny before I died or almost died. I don't remember- I woke up in ICU -about 9 days later and had to learn how to walk again...then on prednisone, to keep my lungs working I balooned up from 5'4" form a halfway healthy 150 lbs to 200 (!!!) lbs. Unbelievable. With the weight gain came the shame. One of my neighbors, driving down the street (because she does not walk!!!) says WTF happened to me that I look like ("that"). So now I am a "that". Hurt pretty good. I will never forget that. I did not choose to get so big. Never. But it was the meds and their side effects. Then, slowly recovering from all that garbage, I ate like everything what was coming my way. I scavenged the fridge while on prednisone. I mean not even my dogs together would clean out the fridge better than me. So, then one day I felt pretty bad, heartburn, chest pain, high cholesterol, triglycerides, joint pain, shortness of breath, you name it, I probably had it. What helped me was trying to figure out, what I had become. I starting reading about food. See, in Europe, where I am from, the food is differently. The whole culture is differently. So I started to see behind the scenes of fast food and discovered that it is not healthy at all. I just wanted to share my story here with you guys. I am now cooking every day from scratch, I am juicing, pressing fresh grapefruit juice (or eat what I cooked the day before), portion stuff and try to eat healthy. I must say I am doing pretty well. Not perfect, but its a good start.Incorporated light exercise, because my knees are shot and my right shoulder klicks almost like a rotator cuff injury (but its ok according to doc). A big motivator was Joe Cross with his movie "Fat, sick and nearly dead." Its on youtube free to watch. I think www.hulu.com and Netflix has it too.
So, just wanted to wish you all well, and keep up the good job eating healthy.Be well. Keep posting and motivating others. We can do this. We just need to pull together. Thats all. Be well.
Unread 04-17-2013, 04:15 AM   #9
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by THOR114 View Post
Hey guys! Thanks for posting and sharing! I have this thing with fried food, that is my big downfall. But i think, once in a while its ok to have a small treat. I was always skinny before I died or almost died. I don't remember- I woke up in ICU -about 9 days later and had to learn how to walk again...then on prednisone, to keep my lungs working I balooned up from 5'4" form a halfway healthy 150 lbs to 200 (!!!) lbs. Unbelievable. With the weight gain came the shame. One of my neighbors, driving down the street (because she does not walk!!!) says WTF happened to me that I look like ("that"). So now I am a "that". Hurt pretty good. I will never forget that. I did not choose to get so big. Never. But it was the meds and their side effects. Then, slowly recovering from all that garbage, I ate like everything what was coming my way. I scavenged the fridge while on prednisone. I mean not even my dogs together would clean out the fridge better than me. So, then one day I felt pretty bad, heartburn, chest pain, high cholesterol, triglycerides, joint pain, shortness of breath, you name it, I probably had it. What helped me was trying to figure out, what I had become. I starting reading about food. See, in Europe, where I am from, the food is differently. The whole culture is differently. So I started to see behind the scenes of fast food and discovered that it is not healthy at all. I just wanted to share my story here with you guys. I am now cooking every day from scratch, I am juicing, pressing fresh grapefruit juice (or eat what I cooked the day before), portion stuff and try to eat healthy. I must say I am doing pretty well. Not perfect, but its a good start.Incorporated light exercise, because my knees are shot and my right shoulder klicks almost like a rotator cuff injury (but its ok according to doc). A big motivator was Joe Cross with his movie "Fat, sick and nearly dead." Its on youtube free to watch. I think www.hulu.com and Netflix has it too.
So, just wanted to wish you all well, and keep up the good job eating healthy.Be well. Keep posting and motivating others. We can do this. We just need to pull together. Thats all. Be well.
Prednisone is known for making you gain weight - as with pretty much any other steroid out there.

So, what happened? Bear in mind that fatal or nearly-fatal conditions can cause changes in your metabolism (I got clobbered - which forced about a fourth of my brain to rewire itself, screwed with my hippocampus - still does - and shut down my thyroid. And fractured my liver and screwed with my pancreas - I'm hyperinsulemic now, my liver enzymes are even weirder than they were before, and my body temperature does some strange things. Let's not even get started on my sleep!)
Unread 04-17-2013, 04:19 AM   #10
THOR114

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-90

Prednisone is known for making you gain weight - as with pretty much any other steroid out there.

So, what happened? Bear in mind that fatal or nearly-fatal conditions can cause changes in your metabolism (I got clobbered - which forced about a fourth of my brain to rewire itself, screwed with my hippocampus - still does - and shut down my thyroid. And fractured my liver and screwed with my pancreas - I'm hyperinsulemic now, my liver enzymes are even weirder than they were before, and my body temperature does some strange things. Let's not even get started on my sleep!)
Ja from the prednisone I kinda found out the hard way...did not had a choice.its kinda hard to live without lungs....what happened with you? Send a pm!
Unread 04-17-2013, 05:22 AM   #11
stogie25
1997 TJ Wrangler 

About a year and a half ago I cleaned up my eating and went back to the gym. The first thing I did was to stop all fast food. I would have stopped sodas and juices if I was drinking them as well. Between the dieting and working out I lost 45lbs in 3 months. I am now on a maintenance diet that allows pretty much anything on weekends. I have still not eaten at a fast food establishment and do not intend to.
97 Black TJ (one owner), BFG KM2 35s, 4.7L Stroker, ARB's, Dana60 rear, Dana30HP Front Warn manual hub conversion, 6 inch mostly Tera long arm lift. Rhino lined tub. Allied Rock 8 beadlocks. Tera-Low 4:1. Sanden OBA. Sniperfab tube fenders.

My Build Thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m.../#post12717920
stogie25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2013, 06:45 AM   #12
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I still eat fast food. But only at this local place up here called Comeback Shack. Their food is actually real lol. I honestly don't know how people can eat McDonald's.

Sent from my iForum using JeepPhone

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2013, 07:31 PM   #13
THOR114

2004 TJ Wrangler 

YouTube (Short URL)
?start=" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

This is really explaining a lot...
Unread 04-21-2013, 12:09 PM   #14
88hatchy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swagger_Wagon View Post
Being a college kid, I crunched the numbers. Trust me, fast food is cheaper than prepping a healthy meal. Sorry, but that's the truth.

I had 2 McDoubles for lunch today for 2.14$
Not true. You could eat a can of tuna with a serving of (steam in bag) vegetables and be far ahead of two McDoubles. You might not feel as full, but you will have eaten more actual food.
88hatchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2013, 05:17 PM   #15
THOR114

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have to agree with hatchy. It also would be healthier for you.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.