Diabetic vegetarian protein source - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Fitness and Nutrition > Diabetic vegetarian protein source

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-13-2014, 09:56 AM   #1
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Diabetic vegetarian protein source

Couple of months ago my dad decided to become a vegetarian. He is very overweight, all in the belly. He has a stock build, with wide shoulders, but his belly has a life of its own. It's mostly genetic, as most men in the family are lbuilt like that. He also has high blood pressure and diabetes. He is 6' tall. He says he is about 250 pounds, but I think it is closer to 270. He is 70 years old.

So a couple of months ago he decided to become a vegetarian. He realized he needed to have a good source of protein, so turned to nuts. At first it was some almonds, but then he switched to peanuts. The problem I am seeing is now that he switched to peanuts, he is eating them like they are going out of style. Sometimes he will eat half gallon jar(yes, half a gallon pealed/shelled), in less than a day. That can't be good. That is a lot of peanuts with lots of calories and fat, not to mention the salt.

I am looking for a good source of protein for him that is low carb due to diabetes and low sodium due to blood pressure. He also often complains about prices, so something cheap is the only thing he will be receptive to.

Honestly, the biggest problem with his weight has been both the volume he eats and continuous eating just because he is sitting down in front of the tv, even going to the point of lying to himself stating "I need to eat this so I can get my protein." as I look on in disbelief at this huge empty jar of peanuts. Sort of defeats the purpose of going vegetarian.

He has a head as hard as a mule and will often do the opposite of what someone suggests just to show them, even to his detriment.

Unread 08-13-2014, 01:02 PM   #2
Jetscuh
O rly?

His mindset needs to change. Without that, I'm not sure that you'll have much success. He could still eat chicken breast and lean ground turkey. I don't use grains, wheat, rice, etc when I cook and there is plenty out there with meat that will keep blood pressure and diabetes in check.

Vegetarian protein sources include beans, nuts, soy, legumes, quinoa, chickpeas, and seeds.
Jetscuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2014, 11:04 AM   #3
pentastarguy
Web Wheeler
2012 JK Wrangler 

nuts have a lot of fat. legumes have a good amt of carbs. egg whites cooked with oil is great source of protein low calories. if his doctor approves, an exercise program would help. walking and some dumb bells. one reason people constantly eat is boredom, any hobbies?
pentastarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2014, 02:04 PM   #4
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

I think the reason he is eating so much all the time, more than usual, is because it has been raining every day for a few weeks, so there's nothing much to do but watch tv which then turns into boredom eating . It's to the point where it actually grosses me out seeing him eat so much, constantly.

I don't say much. He's 70 years old and can do what he wants, but I'd like to present him with some better options in a way that makes it seem like I am not telling him what to do . When he thinks someone is trying to tell him what to do, he will do the opposite, even if he is dealing with a doctor.
Unread 08-14-2014, 05:51 PM   #5
pentastarguy
Web Wheeler
2012 JK Wrangler 

celery sticks......find something to do even when raining, mall walking. joining a seniors group. seniors exercise group, part time job...you haven't said how he is physically, able to get around ?
Unread 08-19-2014, 10:10 AM   #6
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I believe tofu has a lot of protein in it.

Is he just becoming a vegetarian because of his weight? Or is actually a lifestyle choice? If it's just diet, he needs to eat chicken and fish.

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2014, 11:24 AM   #7
pentastarguy
Web Wheeler
2012 JK Wrangler 

low fat is essential, for loosing weight. vegetarian is not low fat, but it does have some healthier fats. the atkins diet was developed for diabetics. some doctors approve of this diet some don't. a few cardiologists i know hate it as it teaches people to eat fat.
Unread 08-19-2014, 12:20 PM   #8
bobthecatkiller
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I don't know much about food and stuff since my thyroid takes care of any fat I might gain but my girl is going to school to be a nutritionist and she just brought home salted cooked soybeans, they taste great somewhat like a pistachio And apparently have tons of protein in them. Oh and they cost $1.99 a package and I believe you can get them unsalted
image-3732426732.jpg

me: yaaaaa.
bobthecatkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2014, 12:27 PM   #9
purplepig
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I believe tofu has a lot of protein in it.
It does, but the soy needs to be kept to a minimum due to the phytoestregens.
Pistachios are a good source. Get the ones with a shell. Having to open them keeps the consumption down. You can get unsalted too.
Quinoa is a good complete protein. Buy it in bulk and it is very cheap.

Quote:
beans, nuts, soy, legumes, quinoa, chickpeas, and seeds.
x2
purplepig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2014, 12:30 PM   #10
purplepig
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

... and stay away from the fake meat Morningstar crap.

"Quorn" brand is a good fake meat substitute if one is needed. It is not exactly cheap though. I'm not sure if cheap and healthy really go together anyway unless maybe it's a pot of dried beans cooked. LOL
purplepig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2014, 01:11 PM   #11
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

What about just a protein powder..?

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2014, 05:51 PM   #12
pentastarguy
Web Wheeler
2012 JK Wrangler 

op....still out there?
Unread 08-20-2014, 06:31 PM   #13
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

trail mix maybe ?
phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2014, 10:16 PM   #14
pentastarguy
Web Wheeler
2012 JK Wrangler 

phit, in moderation, nuts, although has healthy fats, he can still over do. might need to pick out the m&ms as i think diabetic is part of the equation here.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.