Diabetes: Eating healthier. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Fitness and Nutrition > Diabetes: Eating healthier.

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....

Unread 05-18-2013, 03:10 PM   #16
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Youíre 100% right about cutting down on sugary things. I started drinking diet coke with my meals (canít stand it by itself) several years ago and whenever I try to drink a regular coke its way to sweet tasting and I donít like it. I had always drunk coffee with sugar and cream but just like the diet coke I started to drink it black. Iíd probably barf if I added sugar to it now.

For a while not too far back I did stay away from fast foods (for a short time) and actually felt better, at least thatís what I thought. But now Iím back at eating it mainly because itís so convenient when youíre hungry and need to eat now. What I need is discipline to fight these stupid eating habits of mine. Silly as it may seem, just talking about it here is starting to have an effect on me for the better. Now I need to put my money where my mouth is and take some action.

1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2013, 09:01 PM   #17
THOR114
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Did you watch " fat, sick and nearly dead"? It's on YouTube. Take a look. That should help you understand what you are doing to your body by eating fast foods. Also watch " supersize me".
THOR114 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2013, 03:24 AM   #18
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

I donít know what it is but in this short period of time youíve just about convinced me to buy a good heavy duty juicer and start drinking those god awful looking green drinks and some yummy fruit drinks as well.

Before I go looking at juicers do you have any recommendations or pointers on what to look out for? Things like what accessories/add-ons to get so Iíll be all set if I go through with this.

I did look at a YouTube of ďfat, sick and nearly deadĒ but it wasnít the movie.
Unread 05-20-2013, 04:20 AM   #19
THOR114
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have a breville and love it. It's a juicefountain. Not the top modes, but this thing spins like a racing machine. Whopping 15000( no typo: fifteen thousand rpm) spinn really fast. What you have to be carful with: ALWAYS make sure you unplug it and it has completely stopped before you open it. Always after juicing clean it right away, so that stuff does not get ugly to clean. Buy yourself a second strainer as a backup. Mine is after now possibly a half year using still getting all the stuff but you see a difference in the performance.

Buy yourself also a peeler, there are just a few dollars and are worth it. I peel my carrots before juicing. Apples are getting quartered, and the core gets taken out, but the peel,stays on. And that's where the most nutrients are. I bought my breville at bestbuy .com online. It was about 100$. I love mine.
One thing though, when you set the juicer up, it comes with a cup where the fresh pressed juice runs into. That cup needs to sit totally correct in place, otherwise the juice will drip all over and not in the cup. And when you put peeled carrots in, put them with he larger diameter in first. That's what it said in the description.

I am totally serious about the juicing thing, because I see what it does for me and I see what deviating from it does as well, and how my body reacts to it...it's scary. Anyways, I think the only way to live longer is to go back to the old ways, where stuff is made from scratch and not from boxes. That's the only way. I am a firm believer of that.

Ok, if you need recipes, let me know. I am very happy that you are willing to give it a shot. And you know, don't change your diet from one day to another. That's too hard and hard. Unless you are like me, a Thor ( brick wall, brick wall, fall down, get back up and brick wall again and again..) lol...
So, what you want to do is:

1) get with your doctor or find a good doctor you are comfortable with, that's also a key thing, have him/ her run a blood panel for lipids ( hdl/ldl) triglycerides and A1C, which will show sugar levels in your body and if you are diabetic you know what that means. Ask your doctor, for the meds you are taking, what fruits or veggies you should avoid. For example Grapefruit is is i think because of blood pressure meds to avoid, and dark peavy green vegetables like spinach have a high constant vitamin K , which contributes to blood clotting. So you need to know for yourself, what you can and cannot do. That will give you a perimeter to operate in and be safe.

2) eliminate sodas. The regular and then the diet. That will reset your insulin resistance and help,your body to reset itself, if you have not developed type 1 or type 2 diabetes yet.

2) caffein, replace with like peppermint tea or camomile tea. On the beginning with black tea. Black tea contains tein it's a similar thing to coffein. If you steep black tea under two minutes it is supposed to wake you up, if you steep it over 2 minutes ( like 5 or so), It will make you sleepy. Also it replaces ( at least for me) the habit of having coffee in the car. Which I still do occasionally, but not gallon wise like I used to. For me coffee did not even work anymore.

3) avoid processed foods. That means , try to eliminate stuff that comes in boxes or bags. Most of the even potato chips are GMOs. That means genetically engineered organism because of the oils they are fried in. Any oils like canola, corn oil, cottonseed and vegetable oil Mostly contains GMO's unless they are labeled certified organic. And that is sometimes questionable to..... So, hence.
4) read labels. Learn what it means partially hydrogenated... They basically bomb the material with hydrogen on a cellular level and that alters the cells. So, again avoid that stuff and look for a healthier version.

5) sugars, avoid aspartame, it's toxic and is in many artificial sweeteners ( like diet sodas , chewing gum etc). Avoid high fructose corn syrup. It triggers your brain to want more of the stuff which contains it...because it overwrites the ability of our body to recognize when it has enough of something. And hi fructose corn syrup is in many many things. So again, read your labels.from ketchup to WIC foods, trenches wit GMO's, they are everywhere.

6) corn products. From my so beloved Cheetos extra hot ( god I miss you Cheetos) , say good buy. Corn is a GMO and you are better of without it.

7) most meats, limit yourself to chicken and fish. The chicken soak it in vinegar water1 cup vinegar : 3 cups water) in cubed or portions or the whole bird. Vinegar is your friend and takes out many hormones the chicken has released when it was electrecuted. Or better: go to your farmers marked and buy free range if you can.

8) find a store near where you live where you can grind your own almond and peanut butter. WINCO here has that. And there is no preservatives, you see what you get without added sugars and garbage. Plus it tastes so much better.

9) limit meat intake. Try to on the beginning maybe just have 3 days a weak where you eat meat. Make those occasions special. ( friends, family, helps).

10) avoid salts. I cook mostly salt free and add for taste after cooked. Salt raises blood pressure and makes your arteries and veins brittle. So avoid that if you can, and replace with a nice spice rack. I have so much spices, and right now I am discovering the wonderful beauty of cooking Indian food from scratch, the curries are such a wonderful thing...

11) try to avoid harsh chemicals in your household. Vinegar, bakin soda and borax soap are really nice more natural based detergents.

12) switch your dogs: my dogs are getting organic carrots as snacks, because I don't believe in giving them chemically processed foods. And one of my dogs is a vegetarian. He gets fish and sometimes a raw bone to clean his teeth, but that's like 2 bones per month.... So not too much.

So, hope that helps. Two thumbs up. Don't be scared. Be patient, you are not alone. I am here to help. Let me know when you are ready for recipes. And you can either feed your dogs the pulp, use it for other stuff or start your own compost...

Unread 05-20-2013, 04:32 AM   #20
THOR114
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I forgot to say: watch breads, and I hope I don't scare you with that, but I replaced bread with cabbage. See my cabbage flaps.

You need two leaves of cabbage,
One tablespoon peanut butter
One tablespoon almond butter ( those are the proteins)
And garnish about 7 raisins.

Wash leaves, pat dry, open them up add peanut butter and almond butter, put raisins on top, add second leaf.eat and enjoy, or make it to go: wrap it in wax paper and the in small ziplock Bag to go. Voila. I love the taste of it.

But for the complex carbs, eat sweet potato or yams. They make good potato replacements, and it gives food a little twist. Try my lavender fries if you would like..

Preheat stove to 400 F, put rack in center.
Take potatoes wash them and scrub skin clean ( redskins) cut them very thin, maybe 1-2 mm.
Take a cookie sheet, put either coconut fat or grape seed oil on it, ( maybe 4 tablespoons )so fries won't stick.
Take lavender flowers and sprinkle them over. Turn fries frequently until golden brown.

Serve with your favorite fish and maybe stir fried veggies?

What I did with my juice, it's a moderated juice fast, so it replaces one meal at least, but I also try to eat healthy.
So anyways, let me know how things are.
Be well, nite
Unread 05-20-2013, 04:50 AM   #21
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Wow, you are really passionate about all of this. I decided to give it a try and see what happens, kinda excited too. First I’m going to get me a juicer and whatever you mentioned above. I’m going to dedicate a portion on the kitchen counter just for my juicer and accessories. I’m sure I’ll need a chopping board or something like that, what do you think?

I’ll definitely ask you about some recipes to start out with. There is a WINCO pretty close to me so I’ll be able to do like you do with the peanut butter (love it) and such.

I’m going to have to take my time and reread your posts above because it’s a lot for me to absorb all at once. Good stuff for sure.

Hell, I’m felling healthier just talking about it.

Again, thanks for your help and suggestions.

John/1222
Unread 05-20-2013, 04:52 AM   #22
THOR114
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I just looked on YouTube and the full movie from fat sick and nearly dead has been removed. Unfortunately. Probably because they are selling it. But, good news, it's also on www.hulum.com which is free unless you get the Hulu criterion collection, that's about 8$ per month, or Netflix has it too... You can also order it on amazon. Just as an idea. It's a very inspirational movie, but there are other good movies out there too...
Unread 05-20-2013, 05:00 AM   #23
THOR114
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome. I am so happy for you! I can't wait. Order your juicer and yes get yourself 2 new knives at Winco- btw for limes cut the peel off. That's too harsh for the blender plus you don't want the wax in there anyways.

So get yourself 2 nice new knives) i. Bought mine at Winco, one is just used here and there and the other one is the daily cutter, if you want.
They were about if I remember right- 8$ or so per knive. So, you might invest also in 3 new chopping boards. One for,veggies, one for fish and one for meats.

A big bowl about a foot or so,in diameter where you can stick all your freshly washed veggies in there. And some paper towels for occasional,accidents to keep the counter lean. Also another big bowl where you can soak your veggies in. Or you use the same. I have two, makes it a little bit easier.

Now, my breville came with a brush for the strainer. That is the strainers brush. Does not get used for anything else.

So to recap,that:
2 knives
2 big bowls
Kitchen towels
3 cutting boards
Hope that helps. Nite
Unread 05-20-2013, 05:05 AM   #24
THOR114
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

image-2690849091.jpg

Here is my vegetarian dog. They all love carrot snacks
Unread 05-20-2013, 12:04 PM   #25
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Damm thatís funny didnít know dogs could become vegetarians. Are you sure you didnít put peanut butter on that carrot for the pic?
Unread 05-20-2013, 12:06 PM   #26
THOR114
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

No, no peanut butter, but they all love carrots. And cucumbers and kale.... Maybe that's the only snacks they get....

But if I have to give them meds, peanut utter is the way to o. Just stick it on their upper gums...
Unread 07-24-2013, 05:10 AM   #27
Repauli1
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222
Wow, you are really passionate about all of this. I decided to give it a try and see what happens, kinda excited too. First I’m going to get me a juicer and whatever you mentioned above. I’m going to dedicate a portion on the kitchen counter just for my juicer and accessories. I’m sure I’ll need a chopping board or something like that, what do you think?

I’ll definitely ask you about some recipes to start out with. There is a WINCO pretty close to me so I’ll be able to do like you do with the peanut butter (love it) and such.

I’m going to have to take my time and reread your posts above because it’s a lot for me to absorb all at once. Good stuff for sure.

Hell, I’m felling healthier just talking about it.

Again, thanks for your help and suggestions.

John/1222
John, how are you doing on this?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.