Diabetes: Eating healthier. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Fitness and Nutrition > Diabetes: Eating healthier.

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE KitsTruc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955

Unread 05-13-2013, 03:05 AM   #1
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Diabetes: Eating healthier.

I have diabetes type2, insulin dependent and need to eat much healthier than I am. Iím sure there a lot of others in the same situation as me that would like to see what others in our situation do or just want to help out and give good advice.

1222 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 05:45 PM   #2
0IIIIIII0
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Take this FWIW, but The guy who blogs at marksdailyapple was diagnosed with diabetes and had great success with a "paleo" diet and exercise. Might be worth a look.

There was also a documentary on Netflix about a guy who was diagnosed and was able to get off insulin. I can't remember which it was. Probably "Food Matters" or "Forks over knives". Some of the guys sound like quacks, but I'm just a construction worker.

Fear of developing diabetes was my main reason for cutting weight and getting in shape. Good luck.

Sent from my TJ
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
- Samuel Adams
0IIIIIII0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 06:31 PM   #3
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Yeah I do believe I might be able to get off insulin by eating better and exercise like you mentioned. After this last heart attack a few months ago (had 3 now) I started to eat healthier somewhat and was able to lower the amount of insulin I take.

My problem is that I donít have the discipline to eat healthy on a regular basses. What I have done though has helped; I can tell the difference even though it is slight.

I just looked up the "paleo" dietĒ you mentioned and it sounds very interesting, thanks.
Unread 05-13-2013, 08:28 PM   #4
0IIIIIII0
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I don't know that I really buy in to the whole "this is what our ancestors ate" basis for the paleo diet, however, a diet that is pretty much nothing but meat and vegetables certainly can't hurt.

I do believe the massive doses of sugar (in all its forms) we consume in our Western diets is probably an unhealthy level. Reducing the amount of bread in my diet made a SUBSTANTIAL impact. I've cut soda out completely as well as artificially sugary drinks. My coffee is taken black and tea is no longer sweet.

It seems extreme, but I've taken to appreciating sweets in an entirely different way. Everything tastes a lot more intense. For instance, a few weeks ago, my company catered a meal and only served coke's for drink. I figured it wouldn't mater much so I drank one. I nearly puked at how sweet it seemed.

I'd say give it a week. You'll find bread and grains the hardest to give up, mostly because as you'll quickly find out, there is grain in everything.

After that week or so is over, you don't miss it too much.

Sent from my TJ
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
- Samuel Adams
Unread 05-13-2013, 08:31 PM   #5
Cassafrass
2000 WJ 

I've been doing paleo for on and off for a while now. It's not too bad once you get into it. I used to be what they called "pre diabetic" and overweight but that's all resolved now. Healthy weight, healthy bp and blood sugar. Paleo is rough but you can modify it. And you don't have to stick to it 100%.
Cassafrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 09:01 PM   #6
0IIIIIII0
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassafrass
I've been doing paleo for on and off for a while now. It's not too bad once you get into it. I used to be what they called "pre diabetic" and overweight but that's all resolved now. Healthy weight, healthy bp and blood sugar. Paleo is rough but you can modify it. And you don't have to stick to it 100%.
Same here. Between eating better and exercise, my blood pressure is down, my resting heart rate has dropped significantly and I feel so much better...

One side effect of paleo is just the awareness of how malnourished I was. Almost no veggies, very little "clean" protein, and just SO much sugar!

Sent from my TJ
- Samuel Adams
Unread 05-14-2013, 01:00 AM   #7
pentastarguy
Web Wheeler
2012 JK Wrangler 

the atkins diet, low carb, is also good and recomended by some md for people with diabetes.
pentastarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 09:49 PM   #8
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

My problem with all this healthy eating is that I have no ambition to fix my own meals. I donít get much help from my wife so Iím kinda left on my own. I know itís a poor excuse but it is what it is. I have cut down on the soft drinks and such by about 90% so at least thatís a start.
Unread 05-16-2013, 08:08 AM   #9
0IIIIIII0
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222
My problem with all this healthy eating is that I have no ambition to fix my own meals. I don’t get much help from my wife so I’m kinda left on my own. I know it’s a poor excuse but it is what it is. I have cut down on the soft drinks and such by about 90% so at least that’s a start.
Getting my fiancť on board took a little pushing, but once I found her a cookbook with interesting recipes, she was excited to try new stuff.

Getting the significant other on board is a must to be successful.

Sent from my TJ
- Samuel Adams
Unread 05-17-2013, 07:31 PM   #10
THOR114

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Hey I put that thread " juice fast" together. Look under Fitness and Nutrition. There is on the beginning amongst the maybe first 5 pages or so a whole list of movies about proper nutrition listed.

I just thumbed thru your thread. Obesity and diabetes are interlinked. In the island of langerhans where the insulin is like a key to the cells which lets glucose in, to get used thru the bodies system, when people are overweight or obese, cholesterol,can coat those receptors, so,they don't work properly or at all anymore.

Getting of soft drinks would be the first step,in the right direction, then avoiding diet soda( which are made with cancer causing aspartame or other sugar substitutes) would be another important step. I am not big in eating veggies, but I can drink them. Anyways, I don't want o bore you butncheckoutnthe blog. Maybe you get something out of t. Recipes are listed there too.
If you need help w recipes shoot me a pm
THOR114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2013, 04:13 AM   #11
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0IIIIIII0 View Post
Getting my fiancť on board took a little pushing, but once I found her a cookbook with interesting recipes, she was excited to try new stuff.

Getting the significant other on board is a must to be successful.

Sent from my TJ
Thatís a good idea about the cookbook for diabetic meals. She does like to cook and is a very good one at that.
Unread 05-18-2013, 04:25 AM   #12
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by THOR114 View Post
Hey I put that thread " juice fast" together. Look under Fitness and Nutrition. There is on the beginning amongst the maybe first 5 pages or so a whole list of movies about proper nutrition listed...

I just thumbed thru your thread. Obesity and diabetes are interlinked...
Yeah I saw your thread and read a few pages of it the other day, very interesting. Itís just not something that I would be able to do because I love to eat too much.

You are right about ďobesityĒ being linked to diabetes but I am far from being overweight. Years ago my ex doctor made a comment to me saying ďfunny, you donít look like you have diabetesĒ. I asked him what he meant by that and he said ďwell youíre not fat and look normalĒ.
Unread 05-18-2013, 07:49 AM   #13
THOR114

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Wow. Well, I burried too many of my friends from heart disease, diabetes and cancer. It's horrible. And the thing what gets me the most is that it's happening right under the nose of the government. And the allow and support it. Shocking. Really is. It's a industry. And we are the guanine a pigs.

With portion control, it's not that easy, I understand that. But try maybe to reduce meat intake and eat more veggies. I cannot to this day eat veggies so that I say I love them. But I love drinking them. That's why my modified juice fast works. Look at the page which shows the movies. Most of them are uploaded on YouTube or Hulu or Netflix. It's scary what is happening in the food industry.

As my dad in Vietnam was exposed to agent orange, we in Kuwait as Seabees some of us were injected unknowingly with squalene. That was another white coat project from the government. Needless to say it almost took my life, sure changed it forever, and killed and also effected so many more of my brothers in arms.
So think again, before you put another bite of fast food in your mouth. It's killing us. All of us.
Unread 05-18-2013, 01:04 PM   #14
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

All good points to be sure. Sorry to hear what happened to you and your buddies with the injections that our government put into your bodies. Iíve known about the crap like that that they (government) did from at least the 50ís. Saw it on the History channel a couple of years ago. Thatís the reason that I have never allowed myself to get any of those ďflu shotsĒ that are constantly being thrown in our face from TV propaganda to grocery stores. I just donít trust them at all.

That fast food and all the crap thatís in it kinda hit home with me. I have always been kinda addicted to it so what I need to do is find an alternative that I can ďliveĒ with so to speak.

Talking about heart disease, I have that too among other things. Damm, I wish I would have taken better care of my body when I was younger.
Unread 05-18-2013, 01:23 PM   #15
THOR114

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Ja i hear you. Totally on the same line. The readon fast food is so addictive since its mainly engineered food, using gmos, salt, sugar and fats. Our brain can get addicted to fst food. Withdrawal from food is like a heroinaddiction. Works the same way. So it takes a while to get your body used to ween of the sugary drinks.

Maybe juice a lime, carborate it with water and then you can control what your intake is. But its almost the only way if you make your own food and that from scratch. And after a while you wont even want fast food anymore when your body has actively started to change. Sugary drinks are gonna taste too sweet for you and you will ask yourself how could you even drank so much of it over the years. Did you watch the movie "
Supersize me"?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.