boB gonna be buff thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Fitness and Nutrition > boB gonna be buff thread

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 11-22-2013, 11:09 AM   #1
AKABOB
Incredibly Handsome

1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

boB gonna be buff thread

A little history:

I was always in sports. Very athletic and active. Ate like a horse, but didn't matter because I needed the fuel. Then I got married and had kids and found the absolute beauty of beer and reality TV. My fighting weight in college was 220. I am 6'-5" with wide shoulders, but I was always thin. I blew my knee out in college playing rugby and gain about 60 lbs from that, lost some of it, but never got back. Then the married life took over and rarely worked out and sports became sparse.
Fast forward to last year. I was lethargic, never had energy, still strong as an ox, but fat and weak breath. 6-5, 290 and look horrible naked. Went and bought a membership at the gym and began to go three nights a week. Really just working on pretty muscles, but at least I am doing something. I put on twenty pounds quick which did not seem normal. I finally went to the doctor and after many, many, test they diagnosed sleep apnea. It was so bad the doctor could not believe I hadn't stroked out yet. At night I was only measuring 55% oxygen. Helps explain the energy.
Fast forward to now. I finally got my cpap machine and I am sleeping better, but throughout this whole ordeal, I am weighing in at 342, first thing in the morning, naked, after taking a duece. The wife, who is usually tighter than a banjo on the purse strings, tells me to do something, no matter the cost. So, I went on a quest to look for a personal trainer / life coach. Found a gym / health club that the wife can enjoy, plenty to do for the kids while I am there and looks to be a fun place with a great staff. I interviewed a couple of the trainers and ended up picking the one that seemed fun to be around, but pushy. (both seemed very knowledgeable with credentials.)

So I am starting this thread to document my progress, frustrations, and brags. I start Monday (i know, right before thanksgiving, but if I wait till after I am just making more excuses of why I can't start), but it is just going to be an assessment, figure out what my body can do and setting up some control data to judge from.

I am going to tear it up this weekend, somewhat of a mardi gras before the fasting.

Wish me luck

AKABOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2013, 03:01 PM   #2
blubaru2002
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Good luck buddy!

Obesity is a huge factor with sleep problems. I'm sure your doctor filled you in on that. Lose some of that weight and you'll sleep much better.

What is your plan for dieting?

Lifting weights and exercise is 20%, proper diet is 80%. Keep this in mind and you'll see results very quickly.
blubaru2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2013, 02:59 AM   #3
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

from your lips, to Gods ears big man .

" You can do it " .

Phitonit
phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2013, 07:52 AM   #4
AKABOB
Incredibly Handsome

1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubaru2002 View Post
Good luck buddy!

Obesity is a huge factor with sleep problems. I'm sure your doctor filled you in on that. Lose some of that weight and you'll sleep much better.

What is your plan for dieting?

Lifting weights and exercise is 20%, proper diet is 80%. Keep this in mind and you'll see results very quickly.
That is part of the trainer. Basically whatever he tells me
Unread 11-23-2013, 06:59 PM   #5
JacoToTheB
1997 ZJ 

Good luck man! With the right mind set, diet, and training you can make your body be anything you want it to be.

What kind of cardio are you planning on doing?

Supplements?
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/my-jeep-build-infamous-f150-coils-1767489/
JacoToTheB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2013, 07:26 PM   #6
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Good luck. I'm also studying to be a personal trainer. So if you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.

What type of exercises will be doing?

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 06:49 AM   #7
AKABOB
Incredibly Handsome

1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

I go in tonight to have my "assessment". I will know more this evening of the plan.
Unread 11-25-2013, 06:57 AM   #8
AKABOB
Incredibly Handsome

1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

oh, and I don't like to call it a diet. I know what the word means, but I also know what people think when you say you are on a diet. Somewhat has a connotation that this is short lived.

From what little we did talk about was replacing my two meals a day and going to move it to five or six, and water, plenty of water. But like I said, more will be known when we get started.
Unread 11-26-2013, 06:18 AM   #9
AKABOB
Incredibly Handsome

1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

Well, the first day was not too bad. Found out how weak I really am. A little sore this morning and could really use some help scratching my nose right now.

Started with about 5 min of a basic walk on the treadmill, then basically went through all the muscle groups on machines. 3 sets of 10 or 12. Then finished with 20 minutes on the bike.

Did not talk about diet at all. At the end he told me to grab a notebook and document everything I eat this week. Times I eat and portions. include water, booze, etc. Basically everything I put into my body. He told me not to change anything this week, he just wants a feel for what is normal to me. Then he will slowing transition me into a proper eating habit.
Unread 11-26-2013, 05:05 PM   #10
pentastarguy
Web Wheeler
2012 JK Wrangler 

funny what happens as we sit around. i just started lifting again this weak. can't lift what i use to warm up with. imho, free weights get better results than machines.
pentastarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2013, 08:39 PM   #11
AKABOB
Incredibly Handsome

1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentastarguy View Post
funny what happens as we sit around. i just started lifting again this weak. can't lift what i use to warm up with. imho, free weights get better results than machines.
I doubt i will be on machines long. Just need to get form back.
Unread 11-27-2013, 01:14 PM   #12
AKABOB
Incredibly Handsome

1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

I forgot how the 2nd morning is worse than the first. My legs are fine but my biceps feel like they are in a vice.

oh the agony.
Unread 12-03-2013, 07:27 AM   #13
AKABOB
Incredibly Handsome

1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

After the pain of the first week is gone, I feel much better. I figured that they trainer is going to make me lose weight by making my arms so sore that I can't raise my hand to my mouth so I won't eat.

Had my first real session last night. Pretty much a total body workout.
10 minute walk on treadmill
bench press on machine
lat pulls on machine
shoulder press on machine
leg extension on machine
leg curl on machine
leg press
squats on smith contraption
planks
20 min bike ride.

legs were jelly at the end, but feeling pretty good this morning.

the only thing he has changed about diet this week is to eat at least 5 times a day. Try to eat every three hours. of course smaller portions.
Unread 12-03-2013, 08:25 AM   #14
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I really hope your trainer incorporates free weights. Doing all machines is not a very good idea.

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2013, 10:36 AM   #15
AKABOB
Incredibly Handsome

1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvanwie View Post
I really hope your trainer incorporates free weights. Doing all machines is not a very good idea.
He just said not yet. Been watching form and making sure o am using correct muscles. Not rollin shoulders, keeping posture right, that sort of thing.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.