JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Fitness and Nutrition (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f374/)
-   -   BHTJ's Mission to Get Fit (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f374/bhtjs-mission-get-fit-1519799/)

Black Hills TJ 05-06-2013 09:45 PM

BHTJ's Mission to Get Fit

Little bit about me...I'm 23. I've always been pretty athletic. Played soccer and baseball through highschool. Little bit of soccer into college. Now that I'm out of college, I've found myself playing ice or roller hockey once a week.

I'm currently 5'8" and ~155...looking to trim some fat and gain some muscle. I've thrown some workouts that I do below, and some "stats" so to speak on some of the big lifts.

I don't want to get huge, but I do want to bulk a bit and work on my physique. Hopefully you guys can push me to get some. I take criticism well. Feel free to hack on my workouts, make suggestions, etc. Also, I'm not currently taking any supplements. I did just cut out fast food, alcohol, and soda. Working on eating 5 meals a day. Lots of chicken breast, rice, and steak :drool:

Bench: 135x10(est. 1rm=180)
Squat: 265x1
Dead: 200x10(est. 1rm=270)
Mile: 7 minutes and some change

Notes: Before every workout(except cardio) I run 1.5 miles. Every day is ab day(inclined situps, leg raises every day). Currently doing the 100 pushups, 200 situps, and 250 squats programs(droid apps)

Workouts

Back Day
Warm Up: 3x10 Pullups, 2x10 Deadlifts
Work: 5x10 Deadlifts, 10x10 Pullups
*My back is weaker than ****, so, yes, I do pullups on a machine for assistance.

Chest Day
Dumbell Bench
Warmup 2x10(light)
Work 2x10, 2x8, 1x6(heavy), 5x10(mid weight)
Incline Bench 5x10
Machine Flies 5x12

Squat Day
2x10
1x5
5x5
Final Set to burnout
Single Leg Squats-5x10

Bi's and Tri's Day
Machine Curls 5x12
Cable Tricept Extensions 5x12
Standing Bar Curls 5x12
Skullcrushers 5x12
Standing Dumbell Curls 5x12
Dips 3x12

Cardio Day
5 mile run

BamaJeepman21 05-07-2013 05:37 AM

Looks pretty good. Might want to add some rows for back like bent over rows, tbar rows...etc. Your bi's/tri's day looks pretty intense. Is it a fast paced style work day?

blubaru2002 05-07-2013 07:40 AM

You're running prior to lifting is a great way to burn calories. But it is most likely tiring you out before your lifts. You may be able to go heavier with a light warm up and not running over a mile.

EugeneTheTJ 05-07-2013 08:19 AM

Looks like you have a good start but here are some critiques/advice:

1) Don't run before workouts. If you want to continue running on lifting days do it either (i) first thing in the morning or (ii) after you lift. It burns more FAT (not calories, fat) and will help you tone up more.

2) Every day should not be ab day. Do it at the most every other day.

3) On back day, I would add in more lat exercises. Rows, pulldowns, etc.

4) You need to do more than just squats for legs. Add in hammies and calf routines.

5) Not working your shoulders is a HUGE mistake. Throwing in delt exercises will not only help your overall strength (especially with chest/back) but it will also give you nice broad shoulders and a slimming taper.

I'm not sure how much you have lifted before but if you are relatively new to it you will get noob gains and slim down. However, this will not last long. It is damn close to impossible to cut and bulk at the same time. I would focus on bulking for a month or two then get strict with cutting.

Good job on the diet by the way. It seems like you've got the fundamentals down but I would recommend tracking your food to have a better understanding of the quantity you eat.

Hope that helps!

jeepyj13 05-07-2013 10:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Hills TJ
Little bit about me...I'm 23. I've always been pretty athletic. Played soccer and baseball through highschool. Little bit of soccer into college. Now that I'm out of college, I've found myself playing ice or roller hockey once a week.

I'm currently 5'8" and ~155...looking to trim some fat and gain some muscle. I've thrown some workouts that I do below, and some "stats" so to speak on some of the big lifts.

I don't want to get huge, but I do want to bulk a bit and work on my physique. Hopefully you guys can push me to get some. I take criticism well. Feel free to hack on my workouts, make suggestions, etc. Also, I'm not currently taking any supplements. I did just cut out fast food, alcohol, and soda. Working on eating 5 meals a day. Lots of chicken breast, rice, and steak :drool:

Bench: 135x10(est. 1rm=180)
Squat: 265x1
Dead: 200x10(est. 1rm=270)
Mile: 7 minutes and some change

Notes: Before every workout(except cardio) I run 1.5 miles. Every day is ab day(inclined situps, leg raises every day). Currently doing the 100 pushups, 200 situps, and 250 squats programs(droid apps)

Workouts

Back Day
Warm Up: 3x10 Pullups, 2x10 Deadlifts
Work: 5x10 Deadlifts, 10x10 Pullups
*My back is weaker than ****, so, yes, I do pullups on a machine for assistance.

Chest Day
Dumbell Bench
Warmup 2x10(light)
Work 2x10, 2x8, 1x6(heavy), 5x10(mid weight)
Incline Bench 5x10
Machine Flies 5x12

Squat Day
2x10
1x5
5x5
Final Set to burnout
Single Leg Squats-5x10

Bi's and Tri's Day
Machine Curls 5x12
Cable Tricept Extensions 5x12
Standing Bar Curls 5x12
Skullcrushers 5x12
Standing Dumbell Curls 5x12
Dips 3x12

Cardio Day
5 mile run

You off to a good start. I agree with Eugene you have to add shoulders in there. Their essential to upper body strength esp. On chest day. Make sure you target all parts of shoulder(anterior delt, medial delt, posterior delt). Target the medial delt by doing military presses with dumbells, with some lateral raises, for front delt(anterior) upright rows will do. You can do them with dumbells, ez curl bar, or barbell. For posterior(rear delt) there's not many exercises that can be done to build them but different variations. I always do reverse pec deck or bent over reverse flys.

Black Hills TJ 05-07-2013 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BamaJeepman21 (Post 15399656)
Looks pretty good. Might want to add some rows for back like bent over rows, tbar rows...etc. Your bi's/tri's day looks pretty intense. Is it a fast paced style work day?

I try to go 30-60 seconds rest between sets and no more. I'm sweating balls by the time I am done every day.

Black Hills TJ 05-07-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blubaru2002 (Post 15399985)
You're running prior to lifting is a great way to burn calories. But it is most likely tiring you out before your lifts. You may be able to go heavier with a light warm up and not running over a mile.

1) Don't run before workouts. If you want to continue running on lifting days do it either (i) first thing in the morning or (ii) after you lift. It burns more FAT (not calories, fat) and will help you tone up more.

Thanks for the heads up on running, guys. I will bump it to the end of my workout for a good cool down.

2) Every day should not be ab day. Do it at the most every other day.

I don't hit abs hard every day. I try to work a different section each day(upper, lower, obliques)

3) On back day, I would add in more lat exercises. Rows, pulldowns, etc.

Someone else also mentioned it...I'll throw in some bent over rows on back day.

4) You need to do more than just squats for legs. Add in hammies and calf routines.

Do you have some suggestions here?

5) Not working your shoulders is a HUGE mistake. Throwing in delt exercises will not only help your overall strength (especially with chest/back) but it will also give you nice broad shoulders and a slimming taper.

Again, suggestions on lifts, and which day should I tack shoulders onto(back maybe?)

Thanks for all the help!

Black Hills TJ 05-07-2013 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepyj13 (Post 15400653)
You off to a good start. I agree with Eugene you have to add shoulders in there. Their essential to upper body strength esp. On chest day. Make sure you target all parts of shoulder(anterior delt, medial delt, posterior delt). Target the medial delt by doing military presses with dumbells, with some lateral raises, for front delt(anterior) upright rows will do. You can do them with dumbells, ez curl bar, or barbell. For posterior(rear delt) there's not many exercises that can be done to build them but different variations. I always do reverse pec deck or bent over reverse flys.

Thanks for the suggestions! I can definitely throw some of that in. Is there a particular day that it would be best to mix them in with?

EugeneTheTJ 05-07-2013 02:30 PM

I would just drop your cardio only day and do shoulders then. I like doing them at the end of my week because they're used in almost every training session and I don't want them to be over fatigued when I'm doing other stuff.

As for hammies/calves: lying leg curls, romanian deadlifts, calf raises, etc. A quick google search should help. Also check out the Workout Video thread for some ideas.

Black Hills TJ 05-07-2013 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EugeneTheTJ (Post 15401760)
I would just drop your cardio only day and do shoulders then. I like doing them at the end of my week because they're used in almost every training session and I don't want them to be over fatigued when I'm doing other stuff.

As for hammies/calves: lying leg curls, romanian deadlifts, calf raises, etc. A quick google search should help. Also check out the Workout Video thread for some ideas.

What do you think of Furious Pete's Shoulder workout? How many reps per set...10? His video doesn't say how many reps he does for eachs et.

Warm-up - Smith machine partial press - 5 sets
Strict Shoulder Press - 4 sets
Push Press - 3 sets
Dumbbell Press - 4 sets
Side Lateral Raises - 3 sets
Dumbbell Shrugs - 4 sets
Plate Front Raise - 3 sets

BamaJeepman21 05-07-2013 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Hills TJ (Post 15401671)
I try to go 30-60 seconds rest between sets and no more. I'm sweating balls by the time I am done every day.

Are you working out to tone? That's almost no time to recover. I usually take ~2-3min breaks between everything. I also usually work out with 3 people everyday so that gives me plenty of time to recover and go do another set. I do lift heavy everyday so more rest is required.

Black Hills TJ 05-07-2013 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BamaJeepman21 (Post 15402373)
Are you working out to tone? That's almost no time to recover. I usually take ~2-3min breaks between everything. I also usually work out with 3 people everyday so that gives me plenty of time to recover and go do another set. I do lift heavy everyday so more rest is required.

Tone up, and a little muscle on the way won't hurt. I feel that if I rest longer, I lose the pump in the muscles that I'm trying to work. Generally, I increase the weight each set I do so that by the time I get to the last rep on the last set, I seriously have to work for it.

Black Hills TJ 05-07-2013 05:30 PM

So here's my workout for today

Casual half mile run for a warm up
Dumb bell press 15# dumb bells 2x10, 25# 1x10, 30# 1x10, 40# 1x10, 45# 1x10, 30# 5x10
Inclined bench 65# 1x10, 85# 1x10, 95# 1x10, 105# 1x10, 115@ 1x10
Machine Flies(no rest between sets) 20# 1x12, 30# 1x12, 40# 1x12, 50# 1x12, 60# 1x12...hold that last rep until muscle failure
One mile run/cooldown

My pecs hurt :/

Black Hills TJ 05-07-2013 06:51 PM

Grilled chicken breast, black beans, and rice for dinner.

Black Hills TJ 05-28-2013 09:11 PM

I've put on a few lbs(165 on a heavy day), and I've noticed some strength gains. Part of me wants to start cutting to see what's hiding underneath, but the other part of me wants to keep bulking to see bigger gains after my cut.

The time now is 06:45 AM.