Attn: Gym Rats - Squats - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Fitness and Nutrition > Attn: Gym Rats - Squats

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Oconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 05-21-2013, 03:57 PM   #16
blubaru2002
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Speaking of squats... Who all is is using a weight lifting belt??? I don't see a point.

If there is any benefit, then I will consider using one, but as is I don't get it.

I was wondering bc I am starting to hit some slightly decent weight lately and am just trying to prevent injury.

I currently weigh 191 with a max squat of 410 and max dead lift of 445.

blubaru2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 05:24 PM   #17
moses21
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubaru2002 View Post
Speaking of squats... Who all is is using a weight lifting belt??? I don't see a point.

If there is any benefit, then I will consider using one, but as is I don't get it.

I was wondering bc I am starting to hit some slightly decent weight lately and am just trying to prevent injury.

I currently weigh 191 with a max squat of 410 and max dead lift of 445.
Those are for people who lift like triple their weight and their back can't handle it. Without the belt their back would probably blow out.
moses21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 06:22 PM   #18
blubaru2002
2002 TJ Wrangler 

That doesn't really make sense tho. It's not doing anything special that a strong core can't accomplish.

And I see a bunch of guys using them that are totally not lifting 3x their body weight.

I'm not arguing. I'm just trying to figure out when exactly a belt is necessary. :-)
Unread 05-21-2013, 06:27 PM   #19
wolfcreek
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaJeepman21 View Post
I started out squatting on the Smith machine. That's an easy way to get some weight in AND get perfect form.
A lot of folks would disagree with that... I don't think the Smith machine is conducive to good form at all...
wolfcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 06:36 PM   #20
moses21
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubaru2002 View Post
That doesn't really make sense tho. It's not doing anything special that a strong core can't accomplish.

And I see a bunch of guys using them that are totally not lifting 3x their body weight.

I'm not arguing. I'm just trying to figure out when exactly a belt is necessary. :-)
Ya but look at most of the amutuer wannabe body builders. They have no core. It's a arm or chest day everyday.
Unread 05-21-2013, 06:50 PM   #21
blubaru2002
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by moses21

Ya but look at most of the amutuer wannabe body builders. They have no core. It's a arm or chest day everyday.
Haha. This is the truth. Now that you mention it. The belts are mostly worn by the pudgy lifters that think they're sweet at my gym.
Unread 05-22-2013, 08:15 AM   #22
THETROOPER
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I use a belt when I max. I weigh 155 max squat 365, deadlift 385. I have a very strong core. The belt actually helps keep my back straight and prevents injury. Belts are tools use them at your discretion.
THETROOPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2013, 10:51 PM   #23
CRJEeP_wj
2002 WJ 

I use a belt for squats and dead lifts, helps keep my back straight and helps protect against hernias, that's why power lifters use them. I have a bad lower back, the belt helps a lot.
Unread 06-02-2013, 06:32 PM   #24
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Belts should be for insurance, not to keep your back straight. If you can't keep your back straight, you need to work on that.

Sent from my iForum using JeepPhone

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2013, 09:50 PM   #25
CRJEeP_wj
2002 WJ 

HELPS! I have a bad back, it is insurance for my last rep, sometimes i wanna use my back more than i should, so it HELPS keep my back straight and helps protect against hernias. Kinda like i said already.
Unread 06-02-2013, 09:52 PM   #26
CRJEeP_wj
2002 WJ 

When i re-read that i sound like a dick, but I'm not. Tryn to help thats all.
Unread 06-02-2013, 09:55 PM   #27
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfcreek View Post
A lot of folks would disagree with that... I don't think the Smith machine is conducive to good form at all...
Smith machine is actually one of the worst things for form. Now it is good for beginners, only because it helps develop the basic sense of using those muscles. Which it's still better to just learn how to squat from someone who knows what they're doing and with the right form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvanwie View Post
Belts should be for insurance, not to keep your back straight. If you can't keep your back straight, you need to work on that.

Sent from my iForum using JeepPhone
Yup. But most people don't work on their core anyways, especially don't remember to work on their lower back when they do core to keep a healthy balance. oh well.
Unread 06-02-2013, 10:00 PM   #28
moses21
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonzj View Post

Smith machine is actually one of the worst things for form. Now it is good for beginners, only because it helps develop the basic sense of using those muscles. Which it's still better to just learn how to squat from someone who knows what they're doing and with the right form.

Yup. But most people don't work on their core anyways, especially don't remember to work on their lower back when they do core to keep a healthy balance. oh well.
You should see the people at my gym. All arm and chest. They have chicken legs and have to use a weight belt for everything. I wonder if they know how stupid they look
Unread 06-02-2013, 10:53 PM   #29
jeepyj13
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by moses21
You should see the people at my gym. All arm and chest. They have chicken legs and have to use a weight belt for everything. I wonder if they know how stupid they look
My gym is the same way. Only a handful including my brother and I really train lower body hard. Everyone else focuses on chest and arms and that's everyday for them. They do like chest Monday then Tuesday do arms, but do chest again. I'm like why?! Oh well if that's how they want to lift its on them.
Unread 06-03-2013, 03:54 AM   #30
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by moses21 View Post
i used to work in the weight room at the University of Arizona. It's the most ridiculous the i've ever seen. Every trend you could even think of. None ever do legs. Idiots

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.