Attn: Gym Rats - Squats - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Fitness and Nutrition > Attn: Gym Rats - Squats

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 02-08-2013, 11:35 PM   #1
Black Hills TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Attn: Gym Rats - Squats

In terms of % body weight...what's considered a strong/healthy squat?

I'm 155-160 lbs. I haven't really lifted heavy lately, and I wanted to find my 1 rep max after a new squat workout today. Here's how it broke down...30 seconds or less between sets.

10 @ 95lbs
10 @ 115lbs
5 @ 135 lbs
5 x 5 @ 155 lbs

then I started bumping weight until I couldn't push it anymore
1 @ 185 lbs
1 @ 205 lbs
1 @ 225 lbs
1 @ 245 lbs
1 @ 255 lbs

I gave 265 a shot, but couldn't pull it off. After today I know that I can increase my warm up and workload up by quite a bit. I may have been able to pull of 265 with fresh legs, but couldn't make it happen today.

total weight lifted=7,765 pounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImSuck
damnit i wish i could get bigger quicker
Check out www.blackhillsjeeps.com!
Black Hills TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2013, 01:35 AM   #2
SnowYJ
1988 MJ Comanche 

255 is a solid squat for your weight. Just make sure you're form is on point and keep putting weight on the bar
Unread 02-09-2013, 07:52 AM   #3
bigred33
1999 TJ Wrangler 

You're wasting reps on the lower weight and smaller bump ups. Circuit style leg w/o isn't the way to go if you want to try to max out, definitely take some rest in between.
bigred33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2013, 09:31 AM   #4
Black Hills TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred33 View Post
You're wasting reps on the lower weight and smaller bump ups. Circuit style leg w/o isn't the way to go if you want to try to max out, definitely take some rest in between.

Thanks, like I said. I wasn't sure of my ORM, and didn't want to push it until after the workout that I was trying. Now I know that I should have done that workout with quite a bit more weight on the bar.
Quote:
Unread 02-09-2013, 09:52 AM   #5
moses21
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Hills TJ View Post

Thanks, like I said. I wasn't sure of my ORM, and didn't want to push it until after the workout that I was trying. Now I know that I should have done that workout with quite a bit more weight on the bar.
Are you doing the full squats? I remember that people in my high school football team could squat over 400 pounds, but when you saw them squat you could tell they were doing nothing right.
moses21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2013, 10:24 AM   #6
Black Hills TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by moses21 View Post
Are you doing the full squats? I remember that people in my high school football team could squat over 400 pounds, but when you saw them squat you could tell they were doing nothing right.
Secret to gains on your squats is going deep! If I'm not going deep enough, I'll drop down weight and work on my flexibility. I'm just starting to push towards really lifting heavy. So if nothing else, at least I have good technique right off the bat.
Quote:
Unread 02-09-2013, 11:16 AM   #7
jeepyj13
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I haven't max on squats in forever. Yeah important thing on most compound legs workouts squats, deadlift, etc is form. When the weight gets heavy the stress on lower back increases. One bad move that back is gone. I already injured my lower back many yrs ago doing deadlifts. When I maxxed on squat I warmed up with 135 prob two sets. Bump it to 225 for two sets, then 315lbs for 1 rep, and then I put the real deal on it and go for it. Idk if my techinque leading to a max is correct, but I don't want to tire my legs out before hitting the heavy stuff. 255lbs is not bad for your weight, at least your squating and doing legs period. You'll be amazed on how many people do not do legs at all.
Unread 02-09-2013, 11:21 AM   #8
Black Hills TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Now that I know I'm sitting around 255 for my max, I really want to push for 315. That'd be damn close to 200% of my body weight.

As far as doing squats, I always suggest squats to everyone. If I could only do one lift, I'd do squats. I should probably say cleans as my one lift, but I hate those damn things.
Quote:
Unread 02-09-2013, 11:24 AM   #9
jeepyj13
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Hills TJ View Post
Now that I know I'm sitting around 255 for my max, I really want to push for 315. That'd be damn close to 200% of my body weight.

As far as doing squats, I always suggest squats to everyone. If I could only do one lift, I'd do squats. I should probably say cleans as my one lift, but I hate those damn things.
I nvr attempted cleans, I need to though. I never rule out squats on legs I also never rule out the deadlift too.
Unread 03-20-2013, 07:48 PM   #10
EugeneTheTJ
Tar Heel

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Pulled off 405 today.

I think I can do more but I did that after leg pressing 1,200 pounds so I was pretty damn tired.
EugeneTheTJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2013, 08:39 PM   #11
jeepyj13
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneTheTJ
Pulled off 405 today.

I think I can do more but I did that after leg pressing 1,200 pounds so I was pretty damn tired.
Good job. The most I ever squat was 365. I would like to cross the 400 club, but recently messed my right knee up and I prob won't be able to pull it off
Unread 03-20-2013, 08:59 PM   #12
EugeneTheTJ
Tar Heel

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Just give it time to recover properly and you'll be back at it before you know it!
EugeneTheTJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2013, 05:04 PM   #13
TheBlueKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

405 is pretty darn impressive. I've never maxed on squats since I'm just starting to go into the heavy weight (my knees were troubling me so I took it easy for a while). I just keep adding on weight every week to slowly build up. Last leg day I was at 275 for 8 reps. I also weigh 168-170 lbs
Unread 04-04-2013, 04:22 PM   #14
streetpro
Observing GIC

1978 CJ7 

Looks like you're doing well so far. Remember as you add weight make sure to pay attention to form, knee stability (hamstring strength/tension) lower leg and ab strength.Hip mobility/flexibility will go a long way to helping you squat pain free as well.
streetpro is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2013, 06:16 PM   #15
BamaJeepman21
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I started out squatting on the Smith machine. That's an easy way to get some weight in AND get perfect form.

-Jack
BamaJeepman21 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.