Alex's journey to becoming fit - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Fitness and Nutrition > Alex's journey to becoming fit

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 08-20-2013, 05:31 PM   #1
wisconsinalex
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Alex's journey to becoming fit

Okay...several people have told me that I should create a thread in here tracking/logging(whatever you want to call it) my self described "journey to becoming fit", so I decided I finally would.

I'm not quite sure how to start this thing actually, so I guess I'll just start at the beginning... I remember the day that I finally had enough of being fat(pics later). I was sitting on the couch in January last year, feeling like complete crap about myself and decided that enough was enough - I was going out for a jog if it killed me. So I did. It was snowing and freezing but I got my butt out there and ran as much as I could...which was about a 13 minute mile. And I kept at it day after day. It didn't really matter to me what the weather was like - whether it was raining, snowing, sleeting, what have you - I knew I had to get out there and run or I'd never do it again.

It's been about a year and a half now since I've started running, and I've lost somewhere around 120 lbs. I now run 6 miles(a roughly 9 minute mile now) daily(with the exception of Sunday), and swim for an hour and a half every other day.

And now for the "before" and "current" pics:

Before:

Current:

I'll use this thread to kind of log what I do fitness wise and keep anyone who is interested up to date on my progress

The Iron Blueberry- 1976 Ford F100 Ranger XLT

The Thing- 1997 TJ Wrangler (it's a love/hate kinda thing)
wisconsinalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 06:22 PM   #2
88hatchy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Wow! Great progress so far!
88hatchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 02:51 PM   #3
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

good job so far! subbed because, well fitness is my life haha. Keep it up and keep us updated. Any questions let us know
Unread 08-24-2013, 10:15 PM   #4
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

hi Alex. Had no idea you looked like that before. Awesome change for the better. If you have any questions, you know where to reach me

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 07:09 PM   #5
BamaJeepman21
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Alex! That's alot of progress in the 6 months I didn't talk to you.

You look really good and keep up the good work!

-Jack
BamaJeepman21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2014, 01:02 PM   #6
wisconsinalex
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Good Lord it's been forever since I've posted anything... Okay, so some updates if anyone is interested:

In the year since I've posted last I've cut out processed foods altogether(with the exception of some cheat days). I started that about 9 months ago and seriously couldn't feel better! All that junk really effects how you feel during a workout, and just how you feel in general. I try to do a lot of natural things when I can't and have to settle for frozen veggies and stuff when I can't get it(but since I'm in the middle of a major ag region, it's not hard to get fresh when it's nice outside!)

I've had to cut down on the swimming(unfortunately) but have replaced it with strength training. The strength training, if I'm being brutally honest, sucks majorly and really hurts sometimes. But I can tell it's definitely beneficial and helping my mile times and such.

Right now my goal is to be ready for the Hokie Half(marathon) coming up this fall, but right now I'm not sure if that's going to happen. I was running trails a monthish back and twisted my right knee pretty hard, so that's put a damper on things recently. Luckily I didn't break anything, just a pretty gnarly twist. My older sister is a physical therapist(yay! free assessments and injury fixes!)so she's basically ordered me to cool it with the long runs and hard training until I get all fixed. So now I have these exercises and a nice(read hideous) knee brace I get to wear on my shorter runs, until she deems me fit to start training again.

Ask any questions you might have! Whether I answer them or not is hit or miss quick question: what's a good cardio workout that doesn't involve using knees? My sister gave me a couple but they're getting repetitive...

Unread 06-27-2014, 01:11 PM   #7
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I was just thinking about you the other day...

Would jumping jacks hurt?

Unread 06-27-2014, 01:14 PM   #8
wisconsinalex
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks...I think

It does after a bit(that's one she gave me to do), but not to the point where I would have to stop

Unread 06-27-2014, 01:16 PM   #9
AKABOB
Incredibly Handsome

1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

I have a bum knee, actually just got it scoped again, but even on the my bad days riding a bike or exercise bike never hurt my knee.

I have never "twisted" a knee so I am not sure what your pain is. I tore 3 ligaments and 2 tendons back in college and essentially everything is loose and moves in not so right directions so now I just got scoped to get rid of cartilage. With all that a recumbent bike never hurt.
AKABOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2014, 01:17 PM   #10
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

What about just very high intensity weight training? I'm talking 10 sets of 20, with 30 second rests.

Unread 06-27-2014, 02:02 PM   #11
wisconsinalex
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKABOB View Post
I have a bum knee, actually just got it scoped again, but even on the my bad days riding a bike or exercise bike never hurt my knee.

I have never "twisted" a knee so I am not sure what your pain is. I tore 3 ligaments and 2 tendons back in college and essentially everything is loose and moves in not so right directions so now I just got scoped to get rid of cartilage. With all that a recumbent bike never hurt.
Yeah, no tears or breaks. Just a bad sprain. I never thought about a bike though(not a big bike fan, but worth a try)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvanwie View Post
What about just very high intensity weight training? I'm talking 10 sets of 20, with 30 second rests.
Yeah, possibly, but dude you know I hate the weights beggars can't be choosers though...

Unread 06-27-2014, 02:08 PM   #12
purplepig
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Good job! I agree with the suggestions about weight training though. You will see more progress.
purplepig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2014, 02:36 PM   #13
BamaJeepman21
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Alex!

Shoot me a text. We haven't talked in forever.

-Jack
BamaJeepman21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.