Alabama Ride for Multiple Sclerosis - You Can Help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Fitness and Nutrition > Alabama Ride for Multiple Sclerosis - You Can Help!

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!ExtremeTerrain.com Now Carries Raxiom Off-Road Technology RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 04-02-2013, 10:51 AM   #1
erickpl
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Alabama Ride for Multiple Sclerosis - You Can Help!

I hope this is the right place for this. I've been hitting the gym and being more active for the last couple of years. Went from 195 down to 170 as of this morning. But this is about more than that. It's about putting my fitness to a good use... I could REALLY use your help! This cause has gotten very close to me - a LOT closer than I ever thought it would.

I know the Jeep community loves to be active as well, so I was hoping some of you fellow Jeepers could help me out!

I recently accepted the challenge to raise funds to support National MS Society through the MS Bike ride coming up on June 8, 2013 here in north Alabama. I don’t normally use Jeep forums for this kind of thing and requesting sponsorship or donations is something I have never done, but MS hits VERY close to home for me.

Please help support me in this important project. The Alabama-Mississippi Chapter of the National MS Society serves the over 6,000 Alabama and Mississippi residents living with MS by providing programs and services and funding research. For information about the National Multiple Sclerosis Society and its programs, you can visit http://main.nationalmssociety.org/site/PageServer .

It is faster and easier than ever to support this great cause by making your tax-deductible donation online using the link below. If you would prefer, you can send your contribution to me directly. PM me for my home address.

Whatever you can give will help - it all adds up! I greatly appreciate your support and will keep you posted on my progress.

I personally have been impacted by MS – several family members, including my wife, who was diagnosed last year and my cousin diagnosed 2 years ago, and several very close friends have this disease. I can go to the doctor with my family, help with medication, and be there to assist when needed, but by participating in this ride and helping raise money, I, and WE, can help more people and hopefully get THAT much closer to finding a cure.

There have been some INCREDIBLE advances the last couple of years and any money you can donate to the cause puts the researchers that much closer to finding a cure. Additionally, funds are used to help those with MS but cannot afford medication. Some medications are over $3,500 a MONTH and some of the money you donate helps those who need the medications to receive it! You truly are giving a special gift!

My wife said it this way:

Quote:
Why We Fight MS

Having multiple sclerosis means that you may suddenly have blurry vision. Or that your memory will fail you for no apparent reason. Or that you may not always be able to walk, let alone ride a bike. The symptoms of MS are different, and devastating, for everyone - the only certainty is that it will affect yet another person every hour of every day.

Blurry vision was one of my symptoms. I had neuropathy as well (numbness of the feet and hands) that had progressed up my legs to my knees. They felt like they were "dead" to the touch, and I stumbled a lot. It wasn't until I visited my family physician for my annual "100,000" mile checkup that she was able to piece all the pieces in place. I went through a number of tests - MRI's, and lumbar puncture. The news wasn't good, and in July 2012, I was "officially" diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis.
Why I Ride

I've registered for the Bike MS Ride because I want to do something for the people who have been diagnosed - and because I want to do everything to prevent more people from learning what it means to live with this disease. Today, there is no cure for multiple sclerosis, and with diagnosis occurring most frequently between the ages of 20 and 50, many individuals face a lifetime filled with unpredictability. But continued funding and research is getting us a LOT closer - those advances look VERY promising!

Early detection is so very important, and I ride because I want people to be educated about the symptoms of MS, and to advocate for their facing the disease head on instead of approaching it with a wait and see attitude. I also ride for those with the disease that cannot do what I can.

Why You Should Sponsor Me

The National Multiple Sclerosis Society will use funds collected from the Bike MS Ride to not only support research for a cure tomorrow, but also to provide programs which address the needs of people living with MS today.

Because we can fight this disease by simply riding a bike, because we have chosen to help thousands of people through a contribution to Bike MS, we are now getting closer to the hour when no one will have to hear the words, "You have MS."

To make a donation online, visit my personal page. It doesn't have to be a huge donation. Every dollar helps. $5, $10, $20, whatever you can spare would be greatly appreciated!

2013 Bike MS: North Alabama: Mr. Paul Erickson - National MS Society

To send a donation via check, please contact me for my home address.
Make all checks payable to: National MS Society (NOT TO ME). I don't get a penny of this. I just get the workout and maybe a cool jersey!

Thank you for your support, thoughts, and prayers!

Green Jeep Member #155
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Member #35

Keep moving forward. But keep an eye on history, for if you don't, you are doomed to repeat it.
erickpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 05:15 PM   #2
BamaJeepman21
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Bump for a good cause.
Unread 04-03-2013, 06:44 AM   #3
erickpl
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks!!!

If our team gets the most donations this week, we will get a free massage after the ride!!! I know, shameless plug for a free massage, but HEY, they're expensive! And a 100 mile ride won't be easy!

Please, please... help support this cause!!!
Green Jeep Member #155

Keep moving forward. But keep an eye on history, for if you don't, you are doomed to repeat it.
Unread 05-30-2013, 08:06 AM   #4
erickpl
1997 TJ Wrangler 

This ride is just over a week away.

I've raised nearly $1,000 at this point ($895). My target goal is $1,500 but if I could even get to $1,000 right now, I'd REALLY be happy! I've had a few coworkers donate from $10.00 to $100.00, so any amount would be appreciated!

Please take a moment and consider donating! If you can, I'd be very grateful, as would my wife and all those affected by MS.

http://main.nationalmssociety.org/si...al&fr_id=20706

Here's a story on an MS site about how some treatment and a positive attitude can make a huge difference.

http://www.activemsers.org/tipstrick...rattitude.html

While that therapy seems to be working for the author of that essay, it does hit everybody a bit differently. I'm very fortunate that my wife isn't impacted more than she is. Blurry vision and numbness is about it, but we never know if she'll have another attack where more functions are impaired or ruined.

I ride to help her.
I ride to help others.
I ride so people know there are many who care.

If you know somebody with MS, a donation can help them as the drive for a cure continues.

Please help me reach my goal! Every little bit helps. I've put off several mods on the Jeep to make sure that she has the medicine she needs, but it is worth it if it keeps her feeling well and active. A 10 or 20 dollar bill won't impact your mod fund too much, but collectively, can make a HUGE difference to those who struggle to get through the day or to even get up to go to the bathroom.
Green Jeep Member #155

Unread 05-30-2013, 09:54 AM   #5
BamaJeepman21
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Paul, I also recommend posting this in GD. It would get alot more views than in here.
Unread 05-30-2013, 11:40 AM   #6
erickpl
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I posted a link to this thread. Thanks for suggesting.
Green Jeep Member #155

Unread 06-05-2013, 09:53 AM   #7
erickpl
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Through the generosity of quite a few people, I'm almost at my goal of $1,500. It may not seem like much, but every dollar can help.

Here's a video about a guy who is receiving care through a clinical trial. Through your donations, funding for trials like this are not reliant upon the .gov or medical companies. Without those donations, this kind of breakthrough treatments and work cannot be done.

Breakthrough Multiple Sclerosis Treatment - Stem Cell Of America - YouTube

Here's another video of a guy, who runs activemsusers.org. He says it far better than I can. Very much worth the watch. Entertaining, uplifting, and informative.

Please consider making a donation. It doesn't have to be big. Any amount can help give those impacted by this disease the one thing they really need - Hope.
Green Jeep Member #155

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.