Accountability Needed for Newest Fat *** - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Fitness and Nutrition > Accountability Needed for Newest Fat ***

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 05-06-2014, 03:43 PM   #1
tylerd
2006 WK 

Accountability Needed for Newest Fat ***

Hello everyone,

My name is Tyler, and I am a fat ***.

Long story short, I am 21 years old, and I weigh 260lbs as of this morning. The most I have ever weighed in my life. A little background: I was in decent shape all through high school, but never anything to gawk at. I played football, which required year round lifting and activity. Come senior year of high school, I was in the best shape I have ever been in. I was planing on attending the Air Force Academy, and was in military shape. I am 6'2" and was down to about 185-190. I looked and felt absolutely great. Then, I hurt my back and my appointment to the academy was rescinded. My fitness went downhill from there. So, I am now happily enjoying a typical college experience. Beer, ****ty food, and little exercise. So, I am now at 260 lbs, and I have decided to get back into fighting shape for a few reasons. Mostly, I want to feel better and look better. It is humiliating trying to pick an outfit every day that makes me look halfway decent. Secondly, my girlfriend, who was the cheer captain at my high school, has always had a ridiculous body in my opinion. She now is back to doing yoga with weight training, and she looks even better. She deserves someone who looks as good as her and is healthy enough to keep up.

So, I am looking for some accountability. I will be doing this without a trainer and without a dedicated workout buddy. So I am looking to you all for advice, pointers on diet and exercise programs, and most importantly, a swift kick in the *** when I need one. I will try to post daily updates and progress on the lifts I have done and where I stand weight wise.

I appreciate all your help. I am going to post some pictures below, so I can track my own progress look wise as well as number wise. Beware! They aren't pretty. Again thank you in advance. I hope having a group of people to report to everyday will help me stay motivated.

tylerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2014, 03:46 PM   #2
tylerd
2006 WK 

Pictures of where I stand today. Sorry for the size. Not sir show to shrink them. I lifted this morning. Here is what I did.

All Set of 4 10 Reps Each
Chest Flys
Bench Press
Incline Dumbell Bench
Skull Touches (triceps)
Bicep Curls
Hammer Curls
Dips

Then Abs 30 seconds each, 3 minutes total.
Russian Twists (35lb plate)
Sit Ups (35lb plate)
Leg Lifts
Penguins
V-Ups (35lb plate)
Scorpions (10lb plate)
image-2279276155.jpg

image-4102027470.jpg

image-1638288493.jpg

image-2293194521.jpg

Unread 05-06-2014, 09:44 PM   #3
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I'm doing the same thing. I went from 265 down to 215 in a couple months. I also am battling injuries so I'm gonna let you know that you can do it. It takes total dedication and I've slipped a few times and paid dearly for it.

Cardio cardio and more cardio. Lose the fat then build back up the muscle.
Unread 05-07-2014, 05:49 AM   #4
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Lets start with the diet. Cut out beer and sodas and replace them with water. Every now and again is fine, but those are just empty calories. It'll be tough at first, but you'll get through it.

As for cardio, just start off walking. 20-30 minutes every day will add up quickly.

Say you take out 200 calories a day by getting rid of sodas/beer, then add in you burning ~100 calories walking, that just cut your calories down significantly. Try that, along with weight training, for a few months and see where you're at. As you get comfortable, up the cardio or start changing small things in your diet. When you get a burger, don't get mayo or cheese, or get more vegetables on it. Exchange fries for a baked potato or sweet potato. Have a smoothie for a meal instead. Simple, little things add up very quickly.

We're here to help.

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2014, 06:02 AM   #5
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Cardio is a must. A workout like Insanity will do wonders when it comes to burning fat. Get lean, then try to bulk up.

I found Insanity really made a difference.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2014, 08:42 AM   #6
tylerd
2006 WK 

I definitely need to work on the diet. That is the toughest part for me. I go to class 2 days a week, but I am in class literally 8AM to 8PM, so when I'm done, the last thing I want to do is cook. I'd rather have a few beers and make mac and cheese. The other 3 days a week, I have an internship with a real estate firm. I love to cook and barbecue. I just have to actually cook at the end of the day! I'm also going to start cooking in mass on the weekends, so I have leftovers for lunch throughout the week. I do a lot of chicken, ground turkey and veggies when I cook. I just have to actually stick with it, and not cheat. Also have to limit the snacking to the right foods. Definitely up my water intake as well. No need to be sticking to beer during the weekdays. Glass of wine with dinner possibly, water everywhere else.

Definitely planning on running and riding the bike at the gym. Again, it all boils down to getting off my *** and doing it. I got up early this morning before class and ran about 2 miles. Nothing crazy, but it is a start. Thank you for all the advice! Keep it coming. I really appreciate it.

Also sore as all hell this morning from the lift I did yesterday. I likely went way too heavy trying to hold the same numbers I used to lift at in high school. Just have to remember not to worry about the numbers, focus on the form and progress. I literally cannot extend my left arm.
Unread 05-07-2014, 09:37 AM   #7
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Its ironic that the more you work out, the more energy you have to work out.
Unread 05-07-2014, 09:50 AM   #8
NYGLT56
Your Local Body Builder
2003 TJ Wrangler 

X2 on the walking. But do it first thing in the AM on an empty stomach. This allows you to target fat and fat only. Walk briskly 20-30 min.

Diet. That was the hardest for me I too go to clas 12 hours. What I do is cook on Sundays all my meals for the week and pack light snacks for in between. It should look like a protein a starch and veggies.

Skip the weights. Like antricaman said, cardio is key. If you log 2 miles every other day you'll start to drop weight. All that weight lifting is building muscle under fat and is keeping you from seeing results if that makes sense. Same concept with guys that think ab crunches get six packs. Sure you're building muscle but you won't see it till you drop to 7-10% so don't bother.

Finally. Run with the GF. Workout with her. My workouts increase a lot when I lift with my GF. A natural test booster if you will. Besides. She'll probably think its a cute thing.

Good luck man. You got this. I've been there. Picked on all thru highschool for being a fat ***. Sometimes that little kick is all you need.
Unread 05-07-2014, 09:53 AM   #9
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerd View Post
I literally cannot extend my left arm.
I did cardio routines, rode my bike, and lifted weights (nothing huge) over the course of about two years, then wham! Sore shoulders and a sore right bicep put me out of commission. It's been at least 5 months since I was last able to lift or even do push ups. So when it comes to lifting, don't push it.

I had lost 20 lbs, but 10 lbs has come back during the last 5 months. I'm currently walking with the wife (we did 5 miles in an hour last night) and I plan on getting back on the bike when weather permits. My shoulder and bicep are improving, but not nearly as fast as I wish....maybe it hasn't something to do with my age.

Anyway, I plan on getting back into lifting, when my body lets me. Until then it's cardio and diet.

It takes about 30-days to make a habit of something, and once you do that the workouts get additive.

Stay with it.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2014, 10:15 AM   #10
justanotherjpr

Nothing to add but good luck and you can do it!
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2014, 10:29 AM   #11
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The best way to get what you want is to set a goal. Any goal. Make it something extremely realistic like walking a half mile every day. At 3mph (pretty leisurely walking speed) it should take ten minutes to complete. Then the next week increase the distance or the speed. Then the next month make sure you increase the distance and the speed adding something every week and doing it every day. Don't burn yourself out trying to reach for the stars, just remember that its a lifestyle change, not a sprint to being fit.

Be the tortoise.
Unread 05-07-2014, 11:07 AM   #12
tylerd
2006 WK 

Thank you for all the comments. I do understand straight weights will do nothing to help reduce fat drastically, but I love lifting when I actually get a solid routine. When I got in shape during high school, I was doing a lot of fast paced lifting circuits. Light weight (typically body weight), lot of reps. So I will start doing that again. I am not planning on dropping weights. I've always found a combined lifting/cardio regime worked best for me. Need to breakout my P90x too. Also really have to stick with the running. I absolutely hate running, but its key. Living in Colorado, I at least have some great scenery to enjoy while I am outside.
Unread 05-07-2014, 11:08 AM   #13
tylerd
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGLT56 View Post

Finally. Run with the GF. Workout with her. My workouts increase a lot when I lift with my GF. A natural test booster if you will. Besides. She'll probably think its a cute thing.
Definitely a great thought. She would totally be into it just for the "cute couple" factor! Thanks man.
Unread 05-07-2014, 11:17 AM   #14
AKABOB
Incredibly Handsome

1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

One thing that the trainer started me on was eating more times during the day.

Before it was lunch and dinner only. Now my day consists of a shake for breakfast. at 9 I will have a cliff bar or some almonds. usually a deli sammach for lunch. at 3 another cliff bar, or a protein shake or smoothie. Then dinner has been a meat (chicken pork shops or steak) and spinach salad. Eating at least five times a day has kept my metabolism up.

Trainer said I can have a cheat day, but I usually don't. Unless there is some occasion/party
AKABOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2014, 11:24 AM   #15
NYGLT56
Your Local Body Builder
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKABOB
One thing that the trainer started me on was eating more times during the day. Before it was lunch and dinner only. Now my day consists of a shake for breakfast. at 9 I will have a cliff bar or some almonds. usually a deli sammach for lunch. at 3 another cliff bar, or a protein shake or smoothie. Then dinner has been a meat (chicken pork shops or steak) and spinach salad. Eating at least five times a day has kept my metabolism up. Trainer said I can have a cheat day, but I usually don't. Unless there is some occasion/party
So long as you keep your intake of calories under calories you burn. One HUGE mistake people think is eating more often increases metabolic rate. Which is true to some degree. However if you eat 3000 calories because you're eating more and you only burn maybe 1000 during a workout, guess what you're doing.

Like said in the quote that diet is good. It's minimal and low calorie and works for eating 5-6 times a day.

Other actions can be taken to increase metabolic rate. Such as black coffee, green tea, super foods, your omega 3s, etc.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.