Held Hostage By Photobucket - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
 35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #136 of 159 Old 07-14-2017, 09:58 AM
cj401

I've been using PB for years. When I exceeded what was allowed for free, I was charged (annually, to my credit card) $29.00. To me, as much as I didn't like this, I had so many pics uploaded on a bunch of different forums ( in other words, a large "investment") that I agreed to pay this fee so that I could continue to store and display more pics going forward.

I was just notified that they recently took out my annual $29.00 renewal fee. So far, none of my pics have been affected in any forum, nor have I received any type of "you have to pay us $400.00, now" type of notice.

I'm guessing that this is because I just paid them $29.00 for the upcoming year? Maybe when next years renewal comes up, I'll be offered the $400.00 deal?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #137 of 159 Old 07-14-2017, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
chris87xj
JF Admin

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipB View Post
As far as I know, auto-rotation is based on the user's phone. I don't think we use any plugins on the forum but I'm one of many admins using this account, so please open a thread in the mod section and we'll take a look.

Lee
Thread opened, thanks Lee.

***Chris***

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #138 of 159 Old 07-14-2017, 11:51 AM
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Just to add another voice to this; I came by to check on my various threads, particularly my V8 swap, after receiving the same ransom threat in two separate emails. The pictures included serve as documentation of the various modifications and are integral to the thread.

I keep all originals and their backups under my sole control. My use of Photobucket is strictly for hosting on forums. I have had trouble with Photobucket in the past, the ads are atrocious, and the website functions don't work much of the time.

It is disheartening to have your work destroyed by an obvious money grab. It would be wise for website / forum owners to pressure Photobucket and other hosting sites that would consider a similar move.

I will not pay the ransom. I will move my images to a different hosting service and correct the links as I am able and delete / cancel as soon as I can. That will take months, and I will not be able to get them all, I'm sure.

Finally, I would be interested in outcome of this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipB View Post
Hey guys,

We know this Photobucket debacle sucks and our forum management team is currently at looking for a fix for this.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391 View Post
We're men! We don't need no stinkin directions!

post #139 of 159 Old 07-14-2017, 02:31 PM
PhilipB
Administrator

Garage
Hey guys,

The instructions provided above is a temporary fix that we can offer at the moment to help restore your images until we have a more concrete solution soon. Moving forward, we highly recommend that you use the Attachments tool within your User CP, your Albums and Photo Gallery to host your images on our site here. We can always increase the storage space to better accommodate your pictures.

Also, for chrome users we came across an extension that will enable you to see the broken images hosted from PB. Another temp fix for now (who knows how long it'll hold up) but here it is - https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...bifiaedg?hl=en <- click on that link and do the following:

Add Ext > open the added ext at the top right corner of your browser "P" > select Manage Ext > tick off the box for both Allow in Cognito and Allow access to file URLs > refresh link of affected images to see they're visible again!

If you have further questions or concerns about all this, please let us know - we're here to help you. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Cheers,
Natalie
post #140 of 159 Old 07-16-2017, 05:11 PM
Smokey1r
1997 ZJ 

Thumbs up Recovering your photos from PB

I too received the dreaded email from PB, they wanted money to upgrade my acct because it was 100% 3rd party access, so it appeared all my pictures were being held hostage till i figured out how to recover them. If you don't have them backed up already and you really need to recover them from PB here's the way. Its a pain in the rear but if you click on the individual photos and it pops up with the please update your account to enable 3rd party hosting message you will also see in the photo field in the upper right corner 5 options, place the mouse pointer on the gear in the right corner and a drop down will appear. Click on download and save your image locally to your computer.
Even though i have the raw images stored somewhere on a portable hard drive i don't have the resized images anywhere but on PB so i really needed to find a way to recover the photos used on this form and was able to accomplish that goal!

Hope this helps?
post #141 of 159 Old 07-17-2017, 09:32 AM
StoneTower
1985 CJ7 

Now that Photobucket has screwed us...

Now that Photobucket has screwed us and many of our old threads no longer have pictures, what alternative are people using?

Photobucket now wants $399.00 per year for the same third party hosting that they provided for free for so many years. Most of the forum pictures on the older internet threads are tied to Photobucket's old "free service"

I will never pay that money, I hope they choke and go out of business. There site is snail slow, it forces your browser to other pages for advertising and as for as I am concerned, they are responsible for the destruction of billions of archived web pages.

I have been following a Jeep thread about a 5.0 EFI motor swap that goes back to 2002 and has 120 pages of threads (a couple thousand posts) for several years. It was my go to reference on how to fix and overcome certain problems. Unless you are Helen Keller, it is now next to useless.

So what photo hosting site should we put our new photos in?

Did I mention that I hate Photobucket for their actions...
post #142 of 159 Old 07-17-2017, 09:36 AM
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

I don't get that, I only pay $14.00 p/year for Photobucket to be add free. I still use them without issues.

1984 CJ-7 Renegade
post #143 of 159 Old 07-17-2017, 09:41 AM
WindKnot
1977 CJ7 

You don't need a third party to upload pictures. You can upload straight from your files.

Hit the reply button. See that "Drag and Drop File Upload" line? There's a box underneath it with the words, "Drag files here to attach!" Do that and you're good to go.

What I regret are all the pictures posted in the archived threads that we've lost.

I'd rather be lost on the trails than found at home!

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration?
post #144 of 159 Old 07-17-2017, 09:42 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460 View Post
I don't get that, I only pay $14.00 p/year for Photobucket to be add free. I still use them without issues.
It's ad free only when you visit their site. It doesn't allow 3rd party hosting at that price. "Third Party" is when you post a picture on a different site than their's like on this form. If you don't have problems, you will.
For 3rd party hosting, it's $399 /year.

JeepHammer set up his own server/webpage and he lets me host my pictures there.
It's really not that hard to get your own domain and set it up for hosting your own pictures.

I think that would be the best.

Here's the gist of it:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f373/...ucket-4105825/

There are suggestion like this one for Chrome users.
Quote:
Also, for chrome users we came across an extension that will enable you to see the broken images hosted from PB. Another temp fix for now (who knows how long it'll hold up) but here it is - https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...bifiaedg?hl=en <- click on that link and do the following:

Add Ext > open the added ext at the top right corner of your browser "P" > select Manage Ext > tick off the box for both Allow in Cognito and Allow access to file URLs > refresh link of affected images to see they're visible again!
If you get the pictures to work. Download the thread to your computer and save it.

Since they wan't only 1 thread on this problem I will merge this with that post and leave a link.
Garyr2138 likes this.

post #145 of 159 Old 07-17-2017, 10:07 AM
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
It's ad free only when you visit their site. It doesn't allow 3rd party hosting at that price. "Third Party" is when you post a picture on a different site than their's like on this form. If you don't have problems, you will.
For 3rd party hosting, it's $399 /year.
Still disagree and here are some random pictures off of my Photobucket account.

1984 CJ-7 Renegade
post #146 of 159 Old 07-17-2017, 11:17 AM
mdawg4x4
2017 JK Wrangler 

Well, unfortunately, I got fed up with PB and deleted all my pics and deleted my account and told them why in the "Why are you deleting your account?" text box. I have little patience for that sort of thing. There were enough pop up adds and redirects every time I tried selected a picture, it should have more than covered the cost on my 3rd party hosting.

98 TJ Sport, 2017 JKU Rubicon
post #147 of 159 Old 07-17-2017, 05:20 PM
Skerr
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindKnot View Post
You don't need a third party to upload pictures. You can upload straight from your files.

Hit the reply button. See that "Drag and Drop File Upload" line? There's a box underneath it with the words, "Drag files here to attach!" Do that and you're good to go.

What I regret are all the pictures posted in the archived threads that we've lost.
The benefit of using 3rd party hosting is being able to add a description to each photo you post. Previously, you couldn't do that on JF. You could upload 10 pics, but you would have to explain in a paragraph at the beginning of the post. I understand JF is now providing that service??

Kerrdog
Go Fish! <*////><

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
post #148 of 159 Old 07-17-2017, 05:28 PM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

You can add uploaded pictures inline just like any other picture.

1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
post #149 of 159 Old 07-17-2017, 05:29 PM
Skerr
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
You can add uploaded pictures inline just like any other picture.
How do you do that?
jjvw likes this.

Kerrdog
Go Fish! <*////><

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
post #150 of 159 Old 07-17-2017, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
chris87xj
JF Admin

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Here's how you can insert attached images into posts wherever you want them > How to Insert images into posts.
jjvw likes this.

***Chris***

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.