Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Held Hostage By Photobucket

21K views 307 replies 71 participants last post by  daddyjeep87 
#1 ·
This thread is for discussion of recent changes to Photobucket user policies.
This topic has serious implications.
I combined a bunch of threads about this here to keep the discussions focused and cohesive.

*As requested later in this thread, here's a link to a tutorial on how to insert attached images into posts wherever needed > How to put a picture where you want it in a post.

#3 ·
Photobucket has decided to hold all my photos hostage. It's a shame they have resorted to this tactic, and a potential loss for all who post helpful images to these threads.

At $399 annually, I won't be paying the ransom....
Me either!

#12 ·
Like their background web pages, constant pop-ups and autoplaying videos that you can't find to shut up weren't enough. And Lord only knows what kind of tracking bugs they throw on your system. Fugg 'em and feed 'em beans! :gunfight:

Edit: Oh the irony: I just checked back on this thread and got an autoplaying ad that I couldn't find to shut up, lol

Reactions: John Strenk
#14 ·
I'd be happy if I could actually get onto the photobucket site without the constant spam/ takeover bug every single time I open it.

I basically stopped uploading and referencing pics because PB was such a pain in the arse to login into to get to my links

Hoss

#16 ·
AVR2 said:
You can't put pics into the body of the message that way though, can you? They only appear separately after all the text, and sometimes you want to be able to mix text and images.
When I want specific text for multiple pics I just do it on consecutive posts.

I never use a photo hosting site for the exact reasons stated in this thread.

There is no limit to the number of photos you can upload to JF that I'm aware of.

Matt

#17 ·
Photobucket Replacement?

Posting here just because it will get attention.

If you haven't noticed yet, Photobucket took away our ability to link images in our posts unless we pay for it. Meaning we just lost a tremendous amount of images both here and on countless other forums across the web.

What is a good replacement hosting site?

#19 ·
Photobucket Extortion

Today Photobucket decided that their business plan must now also include a $100 annual extortion.

Their service has been changing, to now include ad pop ups that appear faster than can be closed, followed by requests for ongoing payments to combat the ads.

Today, without warning, all of my images in all my posts are replaced w/ an image reading: PLEASE UPDATE YOUR ACCOUNT TO ENABLE 3RD PARTY HOSTING w/ a speedometer showing 100% usage and a URL where payment may be made, as shown below.

They also posted a new TOS.

Any suggestions for a useful free image hosting site?

This post has been deleted
#30 ·
Options to Photobucket?

I've been using Photobucket to serve up the pictures for my build posts.

Unfortunately, they are now asking to upgrade to a $399 plan to allow 3rd party hosting (such as on this forum).

So, what are the other (free!) options?

Here's one of my threads showing the crappy upgrade picture from Photobucket:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/subscription.php?do=viewsubscription

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.