YJ stubby bumper build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > YJ stubby bumper build

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 06-11-2013, 12:28 AM   #1
firefighter315
1994 YJ Wrangler 

YJ stubby bumper build

I actually finished this project a little while ago but never got around to posting some pics here. I didn't reinvent the wheel or anything, but I am happy with the final product. A couple of things I did want to try was to keep it narrow for a wheelbase stretch in the future and to make as much as I could out of a single piece of steel with as few cuts as possible. (sorry for cell phone pics, I never remember my camera) :

I started with a half sheet of 3/16...

Cut the basic shape I needed from templates I made...

Made a few reference points...

Got it loaded into the press brake...

This is about as far as I could go with that brake due to the press getting in the way...

To finish the bends, I loaded it into a much wider sheet metal brake that FFJeep and I just bought from a friend of ours. It was used for bending sheet panels for dirt track cars. Unfortunately, 3/16 was a little more than it liked, so I had to cut shallow relief cuts along the bends and then finish it in the larger brake. That got me to this point...

Unread 06-11-2013, 01:09 AM   #2
firefighter315
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Next was to cut an opening for the clevis mount. When I ordered these from Eddie, he was helpful as always and offered a few suggestions. I was a little concerned about using 3/16 plate for a winch bumper. He assured me I'd be fine if I added gussets internally. I added a total of four, with two of them being alongside the interior portion of the clevis mount. On those two gussets, I cut either a 1 or 1.25" hole (can't remember exactly) and rosette welded those to either side of the clevis mount. The mount is also welded internally and externally to the 3/16 sheet.

A shot of one of the gussets... (ignore those ugly internal welds)

Gussets mocked up around the clevis mount, before rosette welds...

A few stitches to hold everything in place for the time being...

Tacking in filler pieces on the corners...

Made up some templates for the remaining corner pieces...

It was at this point that I evidently forgot to take pictures of my progress. After finishing the corners and end caps off, I finish welded the whole thing inside and out. Then it was on to working the winch positioning out and the tube work. I had a 1/4" winch plate that I got last year sometime, so I cut it to fit and married it to the 3/16 bumper top - drilled it and mounted the winch and fairlead.

For the tube work, I wanted a simple grill hoop and something closer to GenRights Trail stinger that is more squared and shorter. Buuut, loading the wrong end of my first piece of tube into the bender gave me a very long piece of "scrap". Being as cheap as I am, I decided to take that first incorrect bend and close the angle quite a bit, creating a more traditional stinger. FFJeep worked on that for me while I worked on the grill hoop. A couple of short side pieces later and it was done for the most part.

The tube is 1.75 x .120. In case anyone is wondering, I decided to go with a single clevis mount in the center of the bumper because it is so narrow. If I had used two, they would have nearly been on top of each other anyway. Honestly, I've never really seen the purpose of mounting two in the first place, other than symmetry. Because that single clevis mount is so close to the fairlead, I added a short piece of round stock at the top of the stinger to give me a good storage point for the winch hook.

I never got around to taking photos after painting it, so these are a few weeks after the fact as you may be able to tell from the nice layer of dead bugs.

That's it. Like I said, nothing innovative or new, but if it helps anyone thinking of doing something similar, then here it is. Thanks for checking it out.
Unread 06-12-2013, 12:53 AM   #3
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'm a fan! Always good work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
I think you're skewing the facts. Clarity is relative. Our job is to lead people to the kingdom of heaven, not make them think they're looking at it. :D
Poison Spyder Hood Louver Install
Carlos14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2013, 01:06 AM   #4
firefighter315
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks man! Much appreciated as always.
Unread 06-13-2013, 12:29 AM   #5
AtTheHelm

Good job and looks great!

Handmade stuff is always way better than off the shelf stuff ordered from a catalog imo.
AtTheHelm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2013, 10:34 AM   #6
firefighter315
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtTheHelm View Post
Good job and looks great!

Handmade stuff is always way better than off the shelf stuff ordered from a catalog imo.
Thanks!

...and I agree 100% with making it yourself. Much greater satisfaction.
Unread 06-18-2013, 11:23 PM   #7
karlo

Looks good and solid! Great work. Wish I have fab skills like yours.
karlo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 12:01 AM   #8
firefighter315
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlo View Post
Looks good and solid! Great work. Wish I have fab skills like yours.
Thanks! Compared to the REAL fabricators here in the Fab Shop, I'd say I just get a little lucky from time to time.
Unread 06-19-2013, 08:09 PM   #9
rinking
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Nice bumper and light bar!!!
rinking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 10:48 PM   #10
firefighter315
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks! I HOPE you like the light bar!

The bumper is probably a little bland by your standards. Figuring out my rear bumper/carrier for my next project. Then on to fenders and some other ideas. Never ending, huh?
Unread 06-20-2013, 10:55 AM   #11
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Nice work!!! Looks real nice!!

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2013, 11:11 AM   #12
firefighter315
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironworker709 View Post
Nice work!!! Looks real nice!!
Thanks John, it's not perfect, but I'm happy with it and enjoyed making it as always.
Unread 06-20-2013, 02:17 PM   #13
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Nice! Good job laying it all out and getting the bends correct.. I've got a pile of stuff that didn't turn out right...

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2013, 01:02 AM   #14
firefighter315
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks Eddie, I really appreciate it.

I apologize for being rude and not thanking you again for the shop tour you gave to the family and me a couple of weeks ago. It was good to finally meet you in person after feeling like I knew you for the past few years. Even better to see where all your great fab happens! Both you and your son were very gracious in taking time to talk and show me around. I really enjoyed it.

You need to set up a week long apprenticeship program at GPF! I could have bothered you all day with questions and looking around at all the projects. The kiddos thought it was really cool that they got presents! They are excited to see their parts added to my next few Jeep projects.

Best of all, my wife got to see that my tool and metal working addiction is nowhere near what it COULD be. I spent the next 30 minutes after leaving telling her how productive and beneficial a full 4x8 plasma table could be!
Unread 06-21-2013, 07:20 AM   #15
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Was my pleasure!! We're like "attention starved" cavemen in the shop. Sunlight hurts our eyes.. spoken language is a treat..

4x8 CNC Plasma Table = ATM Machine

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.