YJ Sliders - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > YJ Sliders

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 10-15-2013, 02:21 PM   #1
DustyGeneral
1993 YJ Wrangler 

YJ Sliders

This Friday I will be buying the steel to make myself some sliders for my YJ. I will be getting some 1/4"x3"x5" angle and some 1/4" 2x2 tubing for the sidestep. I had an unused Kobalt concrete tamper (Lowe's item#260046) that was missing pieces so I looked at it and decided that the head piece would be good for the step.

When I took the stock sidesteps off awhile ago I kept them around and noticed that the "arms" that connected the stock side step to under the body may actually come in handy if I decide not to attach them to the frame or body mounts (which I will most likely end up doing.

Total cost I am looking for materials $235 which is a lot better than about $400 for bought side steps, plus I get the pride in saying "Look what I built" lol.

Hopefully they will be completed soon, but I will be working on them on and off between class and work, but I will show you guys my progress.

DustyGeneral is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2013, 07:59 PM   #2
responder
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Any progress on the sliders?
responder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2013, 03:44 PM   #3
DustyGeneral
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Because of an ordering issue he couldn't have the steel there by Friday so I just got it tonight. Planning starting them Thursday before class and Friday after work. Have rough measurements, but I'm gonna make some cardboard templates tomorrow. I hope to get them done before our trip to our property in WV for Veteran's Day. I'll post some pics later.
Unread 10-25-2013, 08:33 AM   #4
04WJny
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Sweet! cant wait to see some pics
In the process of putting in an 8.8, d30, 4.10's, SOA, and a homemade belly up skid
[CENTER][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/sloooooow-blue-yj-build-1234350"]My YJ Build[/URL][/CENTER]
04WJny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2013, 06:00 PM   #5
DustyGeneral
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Alright I got some progress. Cut up the 3x5 angle to get some sliders going. Finished up just as the lady friend got here to go out to dinner. Nothin' like perfect timing. Next on my list is to cut up the 2x2 square tubing to make the sliders and cut my "step" to size. Then all I need is some welding (which will be a little ugly) then some paint and I am good to go. Most sliders go between the flares, mine will actually tuck behind them to go from fender opening to fender opening. More progress to follow, but here are some pics.

http://s843.photobucket.com/user/Dus...tml?sort=3&o=7
http://s843.photobucket.com/user/Dus...tml?sort=3&o=8
http://s843.photobucket.com/user/Dus...tml?sort=3&o=6
http://s843.photobucket.com/user/Dus...tml?sort=3&o=5
http://s843.photobucket.com/user/Dus...tml?sort=3&o=3
http://s843.photobucket.com/user/Dus...tml?sort=3&o=2
http://s843.photobucket.com/user/Dus...tml?sort=3&o=1
Unread 10-25-2013, 06:01 PM   #6
DustyGeneral
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry for the links. Guess I could have made them images. Someone feel free to make them click free.
Unread 10-25-2013, 06:35 PM   #7
RICEKILA
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Click the first one --- then the arrows to the left ---

Nice --

P/S -- pics of the underneath bolting -- please --
RICEKILA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2013, 07:15 PM   #8
DustyGeneral
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Haven't bolted anything up yet, that was just sizing so I could trim any parts that I was unhappy about. At this point I have no bottom mounting yet. I'm gonna use the bolt holes from the old stock flare extension and go from there. If I feel that I need any under body mounting I will probably use the stock arms that held the original step and just fit them to the 3" part of the 3x5 angle. For now though, that process is up in the air.
Unread 10-25-2013, 08:44 PM   #9
RICEKILA
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I am looking to do this also ---- bolt extensions and sleeves to body mounts also ?
Unread 10-27-2013, 02:43 PM   #10
DustyGeneral
1993 YJ Wrangler 

So many ways you could do it. Run some tubing or plating to the frame and weld, body mounts, drill holes in your floor and bolt. It all depends on what you want to do. I'm gonna bolt to the side of the body and go from there. If I think I need more support I will adjust accordingly.

If someone has Smittybilt or other sliders similar to mine can you show/say how they mount under the tub or do they only bolt to the side?
Unread 10-27-2013, 05:58 PM   #11
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Click Free Pics

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2013, 01:51 PM   #12
DustyGeneral
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry for the lack of progress for those that been looking at this. Tomorrow after work I will be measuring and hopefully cutting the tubing for the side boards and for the expanded metal step. Then if I am lucky I will be getting rid of the flash rust on the metal and welding.
Unread 10-29-2013, 05:42 PM   #13
RICEKILA
1995 YJ Wrangler 

While your at it ---- clean up that ammo box a bit ---
Unread 11-15-2013, 05:39 PM   #14
RICEKILA
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Any progress ?
Unread 11-19-2013, 05:13 PM   #15
DustyGeneral
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Haha. The only progress I have done is drawn up a plan and calculated how long I need to cut the tubing. I can upload the a picture of the plan. I really have been itching to get to the garage and start hacking up metal, but life keeps getting in the way. If I get all my homework done tonight, I will be out there tomorrow after work. I will keep you updated

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.