YJ rear bumper/tire carrier build in back yard - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > YJ rear bumper/tire carrier build in back yard

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 12-12-2008, 10:17 PM   #1
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

YJ rear bumper/tire carrier build in back yard

I decided to make a rear bumper tire/carrier for my 95 YJ,I am building this in my backyard as weather and holiday time permits.
I'm welding it all with E7018 3/32 stick with my gas engined Lincoln Ranger 225 on a trailer,I would use a good MIG if I had a 220 volt MIG,but at the time I only have a 110 volt Lincoln 135T plus MIG/Flux core,so I'm using stick as it will be much better strength and penetration.
I'm using pipe and steel that's been collected from jobsites,leftovers,steel dumpster diving... etc.
I'm a Union Ironworker so i do get some goodies to bring home a lot for fab'n stuff.
The pipe I'm using was a sprinkler system in a hospital that was being upgraded to the new addition we were building,the sprinkler guys were cutting it up and throwing it in the dumpsters,it somehow made its way to the back of my truck??....Its all 2" schedule 40 pipe...for those who don't know..pipe is measured from the inside,tube is measured from the outside. 2" schedule 40 pipe measures 2 3/8" outside..more than sufficient for this job.
I am also short a pipe bender,so i will be cutting all angles on the pipe instead of bends,my front bumper is already built that way,so this will match the front.
First thing I tackled was the swing gate spindle,I used a 1" trailer spindle kit from the local farmers store,Agri-Supply(I'm like a kid in that store,,they have EVERYTHING)

I did about the same thing BERSK did in his bumper build with the spindle kit, but had to go a different way because of using stuff laying around here instead of going and buying it.
I used a piece of fence post from a nuclear power plant we had to upgrade security right after 9/11.
The post pipe measured 1 7/8" outside,so that leaves a 1/8" gap inside the 2" pipe,my solution was to drill several 1/2" holes in the 2" pipe and plug weld the post pipe inside,so I heavily tack welded the bearing races to each end of the inside pipe so they would not be loose inside the pipe,they were also about 1 7/8" outside.

I shimmed the smaller pipe with some metal pieces to center it inside and plug welded it all.

Then ground the 2" pipe flush like the holes were never there and assembled the pieces together,it fit nice and rotated with no slop at all.

This part is finished for now,,....

Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2008, 10:39 PM   #2
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

ummm..i KNOW i put the right picture links in this and they aren't showing?,i can't even EDIT,no button there for it?,i know its not my computer,i just went to a few other of my posts and its all good there......im lost...????

EDIT: oops..spoke too soon..there it is
Unread 12-12-2008, 11:21 PM   #3
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

My road bump was mounting it,I dont want this thing bouncing around on the flimsy rear cross member.
So I got too looking and brain scheming..

I decided to build a bracket that wrapped tightly around the cross member with 3x3x1/4" angle iron I had laying around and drill UP through the frame with tight holes and bolt to stop the up and down flimsy'ness and also drill bolt holes closer to the frame then the factory holes were at, for more rigid support.I had to weld 2 peices together for it to be wide enough for the task and trim the top half to allow it to fit around the body mount.

I then fit the piece on..marked where it all needed trimmed and did so..

The i put the bracket on,I made them so tight i had to use a small hammer to get it on,just what i was looking for,wont be loose,all tight fitting.
Then i marked the face holes where I wanted them,about an inch closer to the frame then the factory holes to make it more rigid.Then drilled the holes with a 7/16" bit,same size as the factory bolts since they are long enough to re-use,I wanted it that tight so it had no room to slip around,worked out well,then I bolted those points in tight.
Then i went and bought a long cobalt 7/16" drill bit,same size as the bolts im using.
I used a 1/4" long bit for a pilot hole,then drilled straight UP through the angle,old cross member and frame.
I bought a grade 8,7/16", 6" inch long bolt for this,it had 1 1/4" of threads,which left 4 3/4" of the bolt..PERFECT,the bracket is exactly 4 3/4" wide,so when i add a lock washer at one end and a flat washer at the other end with loctite torqued down good ,no threads will be inside the hole,making the tight connection stiff to the frame.
I drilled that hole(PITA) up throught the frame and test fit..perfect.

This will be it for this part for now,I will have to cut the long bolt to fit under the body,the nut barely fits in there,this will be later.
Unread 12-12-2008, 11:39 PM   #4
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Then i started building the bumper itself.
I have no pipe notcher but ive done ALOT of handrail and structural pipe on jobs in the field without one..i'll show you a little trick here alot don't know..

On a pipe about 2" or a little more,measure off the end about 5/8" and put a mark,cut from that mark towards the center of the pipe but not quite the center,about a 1/4" shy of the center,you can use a wide cut off wheel on a grinder,or a 6" inch cut off grinder,,or even angle it on a chop off saw,I used a Porta-Band,put the blade on the marke and kind of eye'd it to where I wanted it to go..here's a pic of both sides cut...

When cut like this,its about a perfect fit butted up to another piece...here's a pic right after cutting,no grinding at all on this..

A tiny bit of grinding and fitting and you will have a professional fit that is very weldable with very little gap IF any..

Now to build the Bumper...
Unread 12-12-2008, 11:56 PM   #5
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

This is about as far as i got today,started getting cold and dark and had a mess to clean up and put away,I'm hoping to be all fab'd and welded tomorrow and ready for paint,I have ALOT of work to do on it with the plan in my head of what i want..

Just to show you what im dealing with,I have no shop right now,plans are in the makings for a 40x60 shop this spring
So everytime I'm done for the day,I have to clean up and put it all back in the shed I built for all my tools and goodies temporarily...

Time for bed..1:00????..holy .......
Unread 12-17-2008, 09:51 PM   #6
green_jeep
1993 YJ Wrangler 

nice work
i like the hard hat with all the stickers on it
a brother ironworker in here nice!!!!!!
Local 417 here
green_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2008, 07:20 PM   #7
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Hey green_jeep,yes it is nice to see another "ironhead" in here!
I'm 709 Savannah Ga

Things have been hectic around here trying to get ready for a road trip to Delaware and Penn. for the holidays,so ive only been working on the bumper little bit at a time.

Here's a pic of what i fitted up to the jeep before i took it all off to finish fitting more on it and welding it all up..

Here's where it took a little time,i decided to make my own latch that would be solid and no rattle and never worry about it popping open,this will also prevent the swing gate from bouncing around and wearing out the spindle in the future from bouncing around..
I used a 3" peice of pipe,which measured 2 1/2" I.D.,so it was just an 1/8th inch too big for the 2 3/8" O.D. of the pipe,so i figured that would work out great after putting a few peices of good thick rubber on the swing gate arm.
I cut it in 1/2 and made my own strong hinge out of a thick 7/16" sleeve i had laying around,then took an old head bolt from a dodge neon,cut the head and threads off it, and cut that about a 1/2" longer than the sleeve to insert inside it.
Then took a peice of 3/8" steel and drilled a hole for each side of the hinge for the end of the bolt to slide into,and plug welded it and then welded the sleeve to the 1/2 of the pipe at the cut, then welded the plate to the side of the pipe opposite the side i welded the sleeve to.
Then on the bottom side i welded a 1/4" thick washer to one side,and a 1/2" nut to the other side and used a 1/2" bolt to put a handle on to tighten it all around the swing gate end..here's a few pics of it all welded together..

Since that was done.i went ahead and added the hitch receiver and more pipe bracing of what i wanted,this all fabbed and welded ready to be cleaned up and painted..
Unread 12-18-2008, 07:52 PM   #8
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

This is all painted and fitted on the jeep...

I painted the lower half last night in a freind's garage,but it got down to the 50's last night so it took all night to dry and plus I think I put the black over the primer too soon because a few spots on the black had spread and cracked,I'm going to sand and touch it up tomorrow where it cracked.
Here's a few pics of the latch I made.I put a few peices of good heavy rubber weather stripping on the gate where it latches,this made it nice and tight and also keeps from rattles happening..worked out perfect...

I know some will say"what about the departure angle?"..lol..Im not really worried about that with this jeep,yes we go mudding and the beach alot in it but wont be rock climbing with it,I have other vehicle projects that will be for that purpose,the little women likes this jeep too much for me to go out and tearin it up real bad.

The main purpose of this bumper is to get the tire off the tailgate,it was destroying it,and add the hitch for hauling my trailered welder to farm feilds.I often do repairs on farmer's equipment when they need it localy and the Jeep will be much better in the sandy and muddy feilds to get me there ,rather than my 2WD truck.
I also needed this hitch to haul a carrier for luggage on road trips.We are taking it up north for a few weeks..needed room for luggage,.. me..her and a chocolate lab for a 12 hour drive would of been REAL crowded with luggage inside too..lol.I fabbed up the luggage carrier frame today for a box I bought at Lowes to load stuff in,I'll be painting the frame tomorrow and we'll be ready for the road trip to Pa and Delaware this weekend!
On a note..those brackets I made..are ROCK SOLID,no flex or flimsiness at ALL,I was surprised at how well they worked.
Oh..and yes..being in so much of a hurry fabbing..dummy me forgot to put a stop on the swing gate
Oh well..the tire mostly just hits the side of the Jeep and top,i'll ad one when we get back from our road trip,just have to remember NOT to let it fling open till then..lol.
So what do ya think of it?...

Last edited by Ironworker709; 12-18-2008 at 08:04 PM..
Unread 12-19-2008, 12:51 AM   #9
Ski01xj
2002 WJ 

The bumper looks great. I really like the way it closes. Never seen that design before. Its simple and looks good, defiantly like it.
Ski01xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2008, 01:25 PM   #10
(89)yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I like the way the latch works, my only thought is that if you get dirt in the bolt it could get siezed. I like the rest though, good job
(89)yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2008, 07:15 PM   #11
ritjobbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

You give me inspiration for a winter project! THANK YOU!
Unread 12-22-2008, 07:15 PM   #12
ritjobbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

BTW, Really nice bumper, dude.
Unread 12-23-2008, 09:41 AM   #13
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by (89)yj View Post
I like the way the latch works, my only thought is that if you get dirt in the bolt it could get siezed. I like the rest though, good job
Ive thought about that,but adding a little bit of grease on the threads would keep any dirt from seizing it up.
Ive already added a tiny bit to it just to make it a smooth operation,and even wondered if that would cause it to come loose,so far after a 12 hour drive up to delaware and 2 days worth of visiting and shopping,opening it regularly ..it still stays put,the bolt stays where i put it at.
Ive thought about for a little insurance from vibrating loose in the future is to add a little rubber washer to the bolt on the handle side to keep it tight,but havent had any problem with it at all yet so far.

Thanks for the compliments!
I like it because its different,against the grain..so to speak..lol and its STRONG in every aspect,when i get back home..for the heck of it....im going to hook up my car trailer to it and try it,just to see if i get any flex from the brackets i fabricated.
Unread 12-23-2008, 07:23 PM   #14
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Nice! Innovative latch setup...

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2008, 08:12 PM   #15
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK View Post
Nice! Innovative latch setup...
Thanks BERSK!..thats a moral booster coming from a fine fabricator as yourself

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.