YJ home made roll cage add on to stock roll cage - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > YJ home made roll cage add on to stock roll cage

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 04-12-2010, 06:45 PM   #16
ChiliPalmer
This is Ames Mister...

1984 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironworker709 View Post
As was said.."to each his own" as far as the A pillar height,i've seen them above,at level with and below the windsheild,i see no revelance as to what is a "must",it's a personal reference.

I can't see where the mods he did made the stock cage any more dangerous than it was,if anything helped it out a bit.

I think the same as everyone else as far as the down tubes,should of bent it to fit snug to the dash,they gotta be some Knee Bashers ,especialy if it was me gettin in there.i am 6'4"..with a 36" inseem..long legs..lol,,BUT..i've seen ALOT worse jobs on them too..so congrads on the learning curve and doing it yourself

Maybe I should've used tacky instead of dangerous...and like you I've seen WAY worse on nicer rigs. The day I realized it was safe for me to weld a cage is the day I went to a car show and saw the welds on an 8 second Mustang! They were worse than this picture...I was truly amazed they would even certify that car...

Need a server? Buy this one!

COTM - October 2012!

If you want to help the sport of offroading visit the EnviroBeat Forum!

Blue Ribbon Coalition | Idaho State 4x4 Association | UFWDA | NAXJA | The KAT Team!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows View Post
Oh man Chili. I feel like a recovering addict that just had a bag of blow, a bottle of Jameson, and a sack dropped in his lap. You screwed me man!
ChiliPalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2010, 06:51 PM   #17
jeep795
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I'm not sure i see how what he did was dangerous. Does it look odd and uncomfortable, yes, but not anymore dangerous then a stock configuration. Still doesn't mean i understand why those bends weren't put in...
But whatever. Also, When adding onto the Stock cage, it'd be awefully difficult to get the A pillar above the windshield frame without moving the stock part towards the center of the b pillar to raise it up. and then how would it bolt to the frame.

plus in order to keep the front supports parrallel or whatever, you'd have to raise the b pillar, otherwise i think it'd just look funky with weird angles. Really, there's not too many options when adding to the stock cage.
Unread 04-12-2010, 07:23 PM   #18
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliPalmer View Post
Maybe I should've used tacky instead of dangerous...and like you I've seen WAY worse on nicer rigs. The day I realized it was safe for me to weld a cage is the day I went to a car show and saw the welds on an 8 second Mustang! They were worse than this picture...I was truly amazed they would even certify that car...

If that person would of pulled into Englishtown NJ raceway,or Cecil County Md raceway where i use to race at regularly with those welds,he wouldn't of even been allowed in the pits to watch..lol

I had to go through all that mess when my old 86 foxbody ran a flat 9,i was banned untill i got a full cage and ran 3 consistant passes 9 or under for a certification..years ago...ahhhh..the ole memories of havin the girlfreinds say"you spend more money on and time with THAT THING than yo do me!"

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx

Last edited by Ironworker709; 04-12-2010 at 08:01 PM..
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2010, 08:10 PM   #19
YJ89jeepTX
1989 YJ Wrangler 

like i said before i couldnt finish the a pillar with a support bar because there was no more DOM tubing at the metal shop...both metal shops here in town are sold out so there wasnt anything i can do about that...am i finished with the cage? No not at all....and how some can say this cage is more dangerous then stock is kind of an odd suggestion to make...i didnt bend the tubes because the tube bender wasnt around and doesnt do too good of a job...so to say the job isnt good because of straight bars is kind of ridiculous IMO....once the cage is complete ill be better off then a lot of other jeepers without a cage and im still a lot better off now...and to those who are criticizing the cage lets see what you have that makes yours more superior then mine...
YJ89jeepTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2010, 08:34 PM   #20
CopperCJ7
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJ89jeepTX View Post
like i said before i couldnt finish the a pillar with a support bar because there was no more DOM tubing at the metal shop.
Actually we were talking about the rear loops getting a cross bar. If you're planning that bar and the cross bar for the bottom of the windshield, cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
What CJ owner doesn't want to hack up his harness for the next owner to have fun with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseph View Post
The thread will derail quicker than a walrus on a Crisco-soaked Slip 'n' Slide.
CopperCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2010, 08:35 PM   #21
ChiliPalmer
This is Ames Mister...

1984 XJ Cherokee 

As mentioned in my post above, I should've used a different word besides dangerous.

Technically it could be dangerous...you're bound to get a knee or foot caught on that a-pillar and face-plant on the concrete...then I can say I told you so...

Need a server? Buy this one!

COTM - October 2012!

If you want to help the sport of offroading visit the EnviroBeat Forum!

Blue Ribbon Coalition | Idaho State 4x4 Association | UFWDA | NAXJA | The KAT Team!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows View Post
Oh man Chili. I feel like a recovering addict that just had a bag of blow, a bottle of Jameson, and a sack dropped in his lap. You screwed me man!
ChiliPalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2010, 09:43 PM   #22
YJ89jeepTX
1989 YJ Wrangler 

lol well im not 6'4 so i hope i dont get tangled in my web of metal
Unread 05-30-2010, 10:44 AM   #23
YJ89jeepTX
1989 YJ Wrangler 

welp finished it up

Unread 05-30-2010, 09:56 PM   #24
Cjensenr
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I think you did just fine. Lol! It's your taste and your jeep.

C.
Cjensenr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2010, 12:50 AM   #25
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

his effort is totally fine. often web wheelers confuse a trail cage with a comp cage.

and the whole "bar above the windshield is complete nonsense. if you put it on its lid, not only do you have more to worry about then the easiest part of a jeep body to replace, but the bar would have to be significantly higher to do any good. a couple inches wont do it. who the heck wheels with the windshield up anyways. the whole point of a jeep is to put it down.

i think anyone who criticizes a home effort needs to post up their work as well.

i dont like the straight bars myself but who cares. i bet his straight bars are stronger then my bent bars. go wheel it and have fun.

i bet a few people whos trail cage desires have been halted by a lack of a bender might look at your work and be inspired to get something better then stock done.
fratis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2010, 01:45 AM   #26
YJ89jeepTX
1989 YJ Wrangler 

agree with the last two posts...in the event of a rollover the last thing im goin to be worried about it "oh man my windshield is getting crushed"....instead i think ill be saying "oh man im glad my head didnt get crushed"...but a lil constructive criticism never hurts anyone...
Unread 11-24-2010, 09:44 PM   #27
TJftw
1999 TJ Wrangler 

good job!
Black Jeep Society Member #398

*Jeep Wave*
TJftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2010, 11:58 PM   #28
YJ89jeepTX
1989 YJ Wrangler 

thanks bud
Unread 11-25-2010, 07:00 AM   #29
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

A for effort for sure, C for execution.

is it beter than stock? sure, anything is better than stock really. no matter what it will add some support for sure. is is great? no.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2010, 07:51 AM   #30
Krochus
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Looks similar to mine, still need to get around to finishing the triangulation.

I did bend my a-pillars though
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/y...ation-1119694/

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickgnx88 View Post
"Jeep Wave threads, it's a newb thing, you wouldn't understand!"
Krochus is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.