YJ home made roll cage add on to stock roll cage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > YJ home made roll cage add on to stock roll cage

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 04-11-2010, 06:32 PM   #1
YJ89jeepTX
1989 YJ Wrangler 

YJ home made roll cage add on to stock roll cage

here are some pics of this weekends work
equipment used:
mig welder with .030 copper wire
DOM tubing 1 3/4 OD x .120 wall
2x 4ft, 2x 3ft, 1 4.5 ft tubes (total $150)
1/4 in steel plate for the floor mounts

YJ89jeepTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2010, 06:39 PM   #2
YJ89jeepTX
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Unread 04-11-2010, 06:47 PM   #3
YJ89jeepTX
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Unread 04-11-2010, 06:58 PM   #4
CopperCJ7
1984 CJ7 

Questions:

Are you planning to weld in a cross bar between your two rear loops?

Isn't the forward cross member supposed to be higher than the the top of the windshield?

Why did you make your drop down straight and not curved to the windshield and dash to the floor?
Doesn't that make it tougher to get in and out of the Jeep?
Doesn't that create an even bigger blind spot of both sides?

Are the floor mounts going to get support underneath the tub by going to the frame?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
What CJ owner doesn't want to hack up his harness for the next owner to have fun with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseph View Post
The thread will derail quicker than a walrus on a Crisco-soaked Slip 'n' Slide.
CopperCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2010, 08:11 PM   #5
YJ89jeepTX
1989 YJ Wrangler 

i was goin to weld a cross member to the rear but the metal shop ran out of tubing....so yes in time i will add that
if i make the front cross member hire then the windshield how am i suppose to put the hard top on hmmm? so no its not suppose to be
tubes stayed straight bc i dont have a tube bender..well i do but its a manual one so didnt feel the need to and since my jeep is a YJ i wanted to keep the square look
the cage will be connected to the frame once more tubing is acquired by the metal shop (only 2 places in this city carry DOM and both are sold out of 1 3/4 inch)
Unread 04-11-2010, 08:34 PM   #6
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

I was going to offer to bend you the 2 pieces that need to be bent, too late I guess. I have sent out quite a few at that angle, and the end user just cut to length and notched the one side. I even have the length/angle written down somewhere...
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/swap-offically-underway-324622/

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2010, 10:30 PM   #7
CopperCJ7
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJ89jeepTX View Post
if i make the front cross member hire then the windshield how am i suppose to put the hard top on hmmm?
Did you put on the hard top before you made the cage to see what clearance you have? Hmmmm? Besides, if you roll the Jeep, the bar should be the first thing that hits - not your windshield frame. My roll cage sits just above the frame and both my hard and soft tops fit fine.

Quote:
What CJ owner doesn't want to hack up his harness for the next owner to have fun with?
Quote:
Unread 04-11-2010, 10:36 PM   #8
YJ89jeepTX
1989 YJ Wrangler 

thanks for the offer...but ya too late...i like the straight look its growing on me =o)
Unread 04-12-2010, 06:50 AM   #9
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

Sorry, but I'll give you an "A" for effort but an "E" for execution.

There is no way I would leave those front legs straight and the A pillar should be higher than the windshield as has already been mentioned. I would bang my knee against them constantly and they just look like they were poorly designed and you cheaped out IMO. If you have a bender, you should have used it.

For a little more money, you could have bought a kit with the pre-bent A pillar hoop and all of the tie in cross pieces.

At least put some gussets on that front A pillar. That thing will fold up like a box if/when you ever do roll it.
Unread 04-12-2010, 08:40 AM   #10
CopperCJ7
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMaiden View Post
Sorry, but I'll give you an "A" for effort but an "E" for execution.

There is no way I would leave those front legs straight and the A pillar should be higher than the windshield as has already been mentioned. I would bang my knee against them constantly and they just look like they were poorly designed and you cheaped out IMO. If you have a bender, you should have used it.
Thank you Let's hope this guy doesn't find out how wrong he is when it's too late. And maybe he'll add another cross member across the lower end of the windshield - A pillar to A pillar.

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 04-12-2010, 05:57 PM   #11
ChiliPalmer
This is Ames Mister...

1984 XJ Cherokee 

I've never heard of "the a-pillar needs to be higher than the windshield frame" and I've been doing some web-wheeling for quite a while now. All of the major vendors have some sort of aftermarket cage and none of them, that I know of, are above the windshield - PSC (both new and old), RockHard, OR Fab, A to Z are some example. Some of them have spreader bars that go above the windshield frame (albeit a foot rearward of the windshield frame) but all of the A pillars I've ever seen are lower.

Besides; how would you put on a bikini top?

Here's an old PSC cage as an example.

P.s. I am in no way condoning the behavior/modifications of the OP as I think they're slightly dangerous as well, but the over the windshield frame is incorrect IMHO.

Need a server? Buy this one!

COTM - October 2012!

If you want to help the sport of offroading visit the EnviroBeat Forum!

Blue Ribbon Coalition | Idaho State 4x4 Association | UFWDA | NAXJA | The KAT Team!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows View Post
Oh man Chili. I feel like a recovering addict that just had a bag of blow, a bottle of Jameson, and a sack dropped in his lap. You screwed me man!
ChiliPalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2010, 06:15 PM   #12
CopperCJ7
1984 CJ7 

Okay, well mine, my buddy's and few other Jeeper pals of mine, the cross member (from A to A) sits just above the top of the windshield. I guess to each his or her own. But his reason for not doing because of the hard top is wrong because the hard top slopes up after it leaves the windshield. His isn't even level with the frame - it's under it. And that PSC pic is from above so you can't tell where it sits.

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 04-12-2010, 06:31 PM   #13
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

As was said.."to each his own" as far as the A pillar height,i've seen them above,at level with and below the windsheild,i see no revelance as to what is a "must",it's a personal reference.

I can't see where the mods he did made the stock cage any more dangerous than it was,if anything helped it out a bit.

I think the same as everyone else as far as the down tubes,should of bent it to fit snug to the dash,they gotta be some Knee Bashers ,especialy if it was me gettin in there.i am 6'4"..with a 36" inseem..long legs..lol,,BUT..i've seen ALOT worse jobs on them too..so congrads on the learning curve and doing it yourself

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2010, 06:34 PM   #14
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperCJ7 View Post
Okay, well mine, my buddy's and few other Jeeper pals of mine, the cross member (from A to A) sits just above the top of the windshield. I guess to each his or her own. But his reason for not doing because of the hard top is wrong because the hard top slopes up after it leaves the windshield. His isn't even level with the frame - it's under it. And that PSC pic is from above so you can't tell where it sits.
i can clearly see in that pic the windsheild frame is much higher than the roll cage

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2010, 06:40 PM   #15
ChiliPalmer
This is Ames Mister...

1984 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperCJ7 View Post
Agreed on to each his or her own and the hardtop part but in that picture it's clear, to me, the cage is lower than the windshield.

Here's a link to an article about installing that cage which shows way more, and better, pictures...

DELTA 4X4 CLUB TECHNICAL DEPARTMENT - POISON SPYDER CUSTOMS TJ CAGE INSTALL

And some more reference pictures...

The new PSC cage

A to Z and KOZ as attachments.
atoz.jpg   kozcage.jpg  

Need a server? Buy this one!

COTM - October 2012!

If you want to help the sport of offroading visit the EnviroBeat Forum!

Blue Ribbon Coalition | Idaho State 4x4 Association | UFWDA | NAXJA | The KAT Team!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows View Post
Oh man Chili. I feel like a recovering addict that just had a bag of blow, a bottle of Jameson, and a sack dropped in his lap. You screwed me man!
ChiliPalmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.