YJ front bumper tips - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > YJ front bumper tips

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-16-2012, 10:10 PM   #1
zachsjeep
1990 YJ Wrangler 

YJ front bumper tips

I recently found out the hard way that the stock bumper doesn't full protect your fender. The tree totally missed the bumber. Before I replace my fender, I plan on putting a DYI trapezoid front bumper on the width of my YJ. I'm looking for tips and advice for a tree proof(at crawl speed I know) front bumper. I plan on having spots for my D-rings and wonder if I should weld the post through the front to the back. I also wonder 4x2 or 5x3 and thinkness. Last is mounting ideas. If it is homemade(trape zoid or not) post pictures. Tips are most helpful. And yes I have scoured all week for info and if you know where helpfull threads are, post them to please.

zachsjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2012, 09:14 PM   #2
allmopars
1995 YJ Wrangler 

two words, "tube fender" fab them into brush guard
allmopars is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2012, 11:25 AM   #3
04WJny
1987 YJ Wrangler 

if your using any steel plate, make that part out of cardboard first just so you see how it fits and looks.
In the process of putting in an 8.8, d30, 4.10's, SOA, and a homemade belly up skid
[CENTER][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/sloooooow-blue-yj-build-1234350"]My YJ Build[/URL][/CENTER]
04WJny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2012, 12:11 PM   #4
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I would and did weld the recovery points front and rear. Here's mine, pretty basic and not nearly as wide as you're talking about, but I made it shorter cause I just don't like the look way out to the side.

timatoe is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2012, 09:05 PM   #5
zachsjeep
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
I would and did weld the recovery points front and rear. Here's mine, pretty basic and not nearly as wide as you're talking about, but I made it shorter cause I just don't like the look way out to the side.

Is that square tube or bent/welded sheet metal? If tube how did you take the mounting brackets?
zachsjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2012, 10:26 PM   #6
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

It's 2x4 rectangle tubing. I used some 2" wide 1/4" flat bar for the mounts and welded them top and bottom then ground the top smooth. Because the frame is basically the same size, the top fit's fine but the bottom needed a little extra space to fit, so I cut about a 2 1/2 in long piece and then put it between the bottom of the bumper and the mounting strap then welded it all in place.
timatoe is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2012, 10:26 AM   #7
wickedoffroad
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quick tip. Use your stock bumper to make the mounting brackets. It is already the perfect size to slide over the frame....plus you already own it so no out of pocket expenses.
wickedoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
front bumper , homemade , jeep yj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.