XJ Subframe Repair - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > XJ Subframe Repair

2011-2014 Jeep JK Wrangler Tuning now available on SuperchSteinjager TJ tube doorsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-02-2012, 08:49 AM   #1
dagr8tim

1997 XJ Cherokee 

XJ Subframe Repair

I've got about a 5 - 6 inch long section of subframe rot. The rot extends about 2 to 3 inches up the sides of the subframe from the bottom. I figure I'll need to cut out about 8 inches of subframe about 4 inch tall. I've got some questions.

- I've got an old 97+ steel XJ hatch. Could I use that for patch material, or is that too thin? The XJ is being retired from DD and will be used for offroad, trailer towing, and generally as a work truck. It will probably take some abuse.

The area is on a flat section of the subframe, so basically I just need to come up with a "U" section to replace the rot. Could I weld this with a 110 Flux Core welder, or should I farm it out?

Other than practice on some scraps and to prep any bare steel before welding. Are there any other tricks or tips I should be aware of?

97 XJ SE - DD/Light Trail Rig - The War Wagon
75 CJ5 with a badly chopped CJ7 Tub - Pandora
dagr8tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2012, 10:15 AM   #2
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Since you said it will be used offroad only..you could do it yourself...a couple things to consider though...

You said you have a 110v fluxcore only machine..fluxcore with sheetmetal is a PITA for even seasoned weldors to do,it burns through too easy,go to your local weld supply store and see if they carry a quality .030 fluxcore and do ALOT of practice with it before doing the actual repair..if you even have the slightest undercut in the sheetmetal sub frame..it will crack in that area sooner than later...what kind of machine do you have?

I would probably go with at least 1/8" plate for repair,making the repair stronger than existing

When making a patch,make sure it has no sharp square edges..round off all edges....square edges are a stress riser in repairs like that,your weld pulls stress 1 way and around that corner pulls another way,causing a weak link...rounding the corners even's the stress out a bit to where it's all an even pull in a circle,making it a lil better.

If you have any questions needing attended to and don't want to wait for responses..you can also call me anytime..you know where to find my number...

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2012, 10:36 AM   #3
dagr8tim

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the info. I have a cheap little HF flux core welder that I mainly use for hobby/art projects that don't need much strength.

I've been trying to farm this out, but the local vocational HS won't do it and the guy who was supposed to stop by and give me an estimate this morning no showed.

I had originally planned on 1/8th steel or C channel, but was wondering if what I had laying around would work.

I'm looking for strength over beauty, because even though it's a 3rd vehicle. I still use it for things like hooking up the trailer and hauling things. Last weekend it was half a ton of scrap steel + a 600 pound trailer.

Maybe I'll take another run through the phone book for fabrication places that are local on Monday.

Unread 06-02-2012, 10:53 AM   #4
dagr8tim

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Here's some pics I took this morning after poking with a screw driver and knocking the loose stuff off with a hammer.

The line scratched in the undercoating indicates where I intend to cut. I'm trying to stay atleast an inch away from the rust hole edge to ensure I have solid metal.

The inboard side of the subframe is rusted through also, but not as bad. It looks like a natural horizontal line where the good metal starts.

A peak inside of the hole.

I'm hoping this is a fairly quick/easy/cheap fix.

Unread 06-02-2012, 05:29 PM   #5
my-jeep-earl
1971 CJ5 

You probably already thought of this, but you might want to be sure to pull the fuel tank off before starting the work, just a thought!
my-jeep-earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2012, 05:51 PM   #6
dagr8tim

1997 XJ Cherokee 

I'm not that brave.

Unread 06-02-2012, 07:10 PM   #7
ljrubitm
2011 JK Wrangler 

After you fix the rust hole, look into some XJ Unibody Stiffeners.
http://www.jeepinoutfitters.com/scri...?idProduct=562
http://rocdogfab.com/index.php?optio...=1:latest-news
ljrubitm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2012, 07:42 PM   #8
dagr8tim

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljrubitm View Post
I have thought about those, but not sure how they work with rock rails. I've got a set of AJ's.

Unread 06-02-2012, 11:00 PM   #9
my-jeep-earl
1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagr8tim View Post
I'm not that brave.
To do the fix or pull the tank? LOL
my-jeep-earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2012, 05:31 AM   #10
dagr8tim

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by my-jeep-earl View Post
To do the fix or pull the tank? LOL
It'll take longer to drop the skid plate and receiver than it will to drop the tank. Both of those have to come off no matter what.

I'm still shopping around for guys with more sheet metal experiences and better equipment to do the repair.

Tags
frame , rot , rust , subframe , welding , xj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.