XJ ROOF RACK WITH GUTTER MOUNTS (lots of pics) - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > XJ ROOF RACK WITH GUTTER MOUNTS (lots of pics)

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 06-23-2010, 01:38 AM   #16
DannyRoark89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

here are the pictures of it all done for now, i need to stop and think about what i want todo as far a cage for the lights, might be an excuse to finally order a new and smaller die for the bender we'll see but for now this is what it looks like

DannyRoark89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2010, 09:52 AM   #17
TJ06WRANGLER
2007 JK Wrangler 

Looks good, I probably would have hit it a bit more with the grinder first.
TJ06WRANGLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2010, 08:52 PM   #18
RitterXJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Looks pretty awsome.

One question, are only 2 mounts per side enough?

I'm doing something very different than most people, and for my application, I have 4 mounts per side, and my rack barely makes it halfway up the front doors, and my rack is being made out of .083" wall square. And no, for what I am having the rack do(hanging a tire off the back......), I don't think this is anywhere near overkill.
Parts
My Cherokee's very slow progress in pictures:
http://s431.photobucket.com/albums/qq39/ritter40/
RitterXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2010, 02:05 AM   #19
DannyRoark89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

for me the 4 brackets were definitely enough i usually have my spare on a swing tire gate on the back which is in a different build thread of mine, but the most thats ever up there is a couple hiking packs plus my lights, just really missed having my KC's so i built a new rack to put them on was really the intention of the build lame i know but oh well. anyway im curious to see how your hanging spare tire thing will work out, sounds well different to say the least, and honestly man the 2 brackets on each side seems to be incredibly tough i mean once theyre bolted down there is no moving the rack AT ALL. will you be producing your own brackets or buying them?
Unread 06-26-2010, 06:05 PM   #20
RitterXJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Not to hijack your thread, but yeah, I made my own. Here are the pics of what mine look like, an a pic of my rack so far.

If you want to see what my rack is going to be, here is a link to the "build thread". It's mostly just a lot of thinking until about page 11 or so.

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f58/swi...carrier-31440/
Parts

Last edited by RitterXJ; 06-26-2010 at 06:30 PM..
Unread 06-27-2010, 02:50 AM   #21
DannyRoark89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

so your planning on hanging a tire off it? like over the rear hatch? i think i may be confused on your intentions, seems like it would be a real pain to get into the rear hatch, and those brackets are pretty ligit the old brackets i built on my old rack had the same draw bolt set up on it like that.
Unread 06-27-2010, 09:13 AM   #22
RitterXJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

The tire is going to be able to swing up, with its own lift shocks and hinges. I know its going to be more trouble than its worth, but to me its kinda fun, and I have no deadline to get it done, so no rush. There is still a lot of framework to be done near the back of it, which is why I left it open for now.

Check the link in the bottom of my previous post to see what its going to be.
Parts
Unread 07-01-2010, 11:14 PM   #23
DannyRoark89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

hmm seems silly to me man but then most people who come up with something pretty cool get told that, good luck and be sure to post some pictures when its done. i bet alot of people would like to see what kind of contraption your building
Unread 07-02-2010, 07:48 PM   #24
RitterXJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

I know its a silly idea, it could also seriously hurt me if it fails horribly. But I'm gonna do it. I just hope I can make it look halfway decent.
Parts
Unread 07-02-2010, 10:19 PM   #25
98greenXJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Very nice job buddy!!! Is that chromoly, galvanized steel or just steel?

For the brackets/Gutter mounts I don't think I have the tools or the technical mastery to build them.

Does anybody know where I can get the gutter mounts that came with the Warrior style rack?
98greenXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2010, 03:21 AM   #26
DannyRoark89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

check out JCR they build gutter mounts for fairly cheap but IMO they don't look very tough, and all you need is a torch and patience unfortunately i ran out of patience and i had a press to fall back on.

and its just regular 1"x1" .065 wall tubing i think the next one i built i will use 3/4"x 3/4" though

Quote:
I know its a silly idea, it could also seriously hurt me if it fails horribly. But I'm gonna do it. I just hope I can make it look halfway decent.
with enough grinding and re welding all the low spots anything can look nice! very curious to watch this pan out, you got a build thread on here going for it or just over on cherokeeforum?
Unread 07-03-2010, 07:23 AM   #27
mr_imposible
1995 XJ Cherokee 

not to hijack, but im in the process of making my own rack also and am using .5x.5 square rod.

what did you use for your mounts?

95 green 4dr. natural pinstriping, 4.5inch lift, 33 mud terrains, not much else, but working on it
front bumper 99%(need a winch), roof rack 35%, rockers 99%, rear swing out bumper 90%, trip to Ohio 0%
mr_imposible is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2010, 10:53 AM   #28
DannyRoark89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

i used a custom bracket that i built myself, fairly simply if you have the setup to do it.
Unread 07-03-2010, 12:37 PM   #29
DannyRoark89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

but also like i said early in this thread JCR makes some for fairly cheap and there are a bunch of places online to buy them from, just need to find a style you liked i will post some pictures here in a bit of the brackets that were on my old rack, fairly simple design with just a single draw bolt
Unread 07-03-2010, 07:03 PM   #30
mr_imposible
1995 XJ Cherokee 

well i only have a torch and a makeshift press/vice, so nothing fancy is going to come from me. low buck is my goal.

95 green 4dr. natural pinstriping, 4.5inch lift, 33 mud terrains, not much else, but working on it
front bumper 99%(need a winch), roof rack 35%, rockers 99%, rear swing out bumper 90%, trip to Ohio 0%
mr_imposible is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gutter , mounts , rack , roof , roofrack , xj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.