XJ ROOF RACK WITH GUTTER MOUNTS (lots of pics) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > XJ ROOF RACK WITH GUTTER MOUNTS (lots of pics)

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 06-17-2010, 02:46 AM   #1
DannyRoark89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

XJ ROOF RACK WITH GUTTER MOUNTS (lots of pics)

So I'm currently in the process of building a roof rack for my XJ i will probably end up selling it soon, and building one just a little differently, its a bad problem i have i like to weld and i like money when i sell it, Oh well right anyway hope this thread helps out anyway looking to build their own.

I bought 100' feet of 1"x1" .065 wall tubing i only ended up using about 70' of it though. i started out by cutting out a piece of 3/4" plywood to a 22 1/2" degree angle because it seemed easier then moving my chop saw out of square. the rack is 4'x6' from the outside of the tube to the outside of the tube.

the 2- 22 1/2" degree angles together make a nice looking 45 instead of just a 90

i clamped the "L" to the table to get it square before i tacked it all together

I built the second one right ontop of that to make it square as well

then i layed both of the "L's" out on the floor and made sure they were square. also be sure to make sure its flat if your going to be doing this, i had to use 1/16" shimms i snagged off one of our walgreen jobs down in cali, one its completely flat and sqaure i tacked it all together

i then did the exact same thing again but i built the next one ontop of the first one since it was already flat all i had to do was square it up. and i tacked all that together.

i then laid out all my cross pieces i laid them out 10" on center from the outside of the rack Not the inside. and it worked out perfectly. i made sure those were flat with 50 lb magnets( make sure all the crap and dust is scraped off the magnets or it wont be flat) also in this picture i just used magnets to hold up 4 uprights so i could lay the top piece ontop of it just to see how it looked

i then tacked all the uprights on making sure they were square as i went along. the ones in the front are also 10" on center as well

then i set the the top piece on and made sure it all lined up with the bottom and the uprights and clamped it together with many many clamps!! then tacked it all together as well. here is a picture of it just sitting on the roof of the jeep sorry i forget to snap some pics when it was all clamped together i was in go mode.

when i was doing all the final welds on it i had to turn it all different directions since i really enjoy welding when the object is flat haha, not that i cant other ways i just didnt want to ALSO.... if you will be doing this, make sure you jump around from side to side when your welding, avoid welding all of one side at once, allow it to cool a little bit before you come back to it, with such thin walled material its very likely to warp and bow if you put to much heat on it for to long just a little help to yall.

then i used a hole saw that was 3 1/4" in diameter, it was one i had sitting around from doing the perches on my 8.8 and i cut holes in the center of 1/8" plate for the corners

thats about all it is for the roof rack portion of the build now the tricky part the gutter mounts, now any sane person would just freaking buy them but i like a challenge! heres the 3/16" i will be using for the cutter mounts

now im no stranger to bending steel on my welding table but its always long lengths for bumpers either 1/4" or 3/16" but trying to make 4 brackets identical was going to be a giant hassle i realized after trying to get the first one right with the torch and a block of steel and a sledge hammer, so i built a die for it and by no means will i be using this one again i just did it for the time being, when im done with the rack ill be building a decent one this one was just thrown together in a hurry. i used to pieced of angle welded to a 1/4" scrap i had laying around and welded another scrap from a hole saw to the top of a piece of 1"x1" flat stock i had laying around that i used for the blade, don't criticize this part of the build i know its not very professional looking

sorry i didnt get any pictures while they were in the press or of the beding process again i was in go mode. haha heres some pictures of the brackets after i bent them, they are about 1/2" to long on each side i was giving my self a little room to play incase the radius in the bend was bigger then i had imagined.

there are 4 brackets sorry i didnt get a picture of all 4 but there are more trust me and the press worked quite well for bending the 3/16" and now i know what blacksmithing is such a dieing trade because it hard as hell to make exact copies of pieces and parts and when you can do this why bang on red hot metal right!

here are a couple pictures of the one i did by hand with the torch and a sledge compared to one i did in the press sorry for the poor picture quality

ill post some more pictures tomorrow when i am hopefully done with this project and how the brackets and everything turned out

Please let me know what you all think, and i dont know if ill get it done tomorow but by the weekend hopefully i will have a light bar on it that resembles the light bars on most of the pre runner type jeeps and trucks.

DannyRoark89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2010, 12:34 PM   #2
TJ06WRANGLER
2007 JK Wrangler 

Good job on the layout. Most don't realize that is the most important part. Looking good!!!
TJ06WRANGLER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2010, 08:44 PM   #3
CGinWI
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Awesome can't wait to see it done !!
How Much ?
CGinWI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2010, 09:15 PM   #4
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Very nice layout man. That is similar to how I build my racks.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2010, 11:08 PM   #5
DannyRoark89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

ya sorry for not finishing it today guys, forgot my sister had her graduation stuff going on so didn't find much time to get into the shop, picking up the tube for the light bar and finishing the brackets tomorrow, then probably paint it over the weekend

Quote:
How Much ?
since this is my first one it obviously has way more time in it than needed, but im going to try and wrangle 450 out of it off craigslist, we'll see though

thanks for the kind words fellas
Unread 06-17-2010, 11:49 PM   #6
Unii
1995 YJ Wrangler 

looks like mine when i started haha nice work
Unii is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2010, 02:36 AM   #7
DannyRoark89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

ha ok its been a busy few days got some time in on it today out my shop here some pictures of what i have gotten done, hopefully it'll be done tomorrow we'll see though

tapped the brackets that will weld to the rack with a 3/8" 16 tap

the brackets pretty much finished

Now heres were i could use some input. my initial plan was to add a light bar to the front of the basket but i am starting to think that the 2" tubing might just be an eye sore since since the rest of the rack is made out of 1"x1" tubing. not sure what you all think. as of now its the only die i have for my bender so using a smaller tube is out of the question at this point in time let me know what you guys think. also if you have any original ideas for mounting the lights im all ears, really wanted to do something a little more than just welding light tabs on the front of the basket. we'll see though

heres what it looks like its a little taller than its going to be im going to cut it down so that there is a 1" gap meaning the top of the tube will be 3" taller than the top of the basket we will see though like i said i think the 2" tubing might just turn into an eye sore

haha and i thought i would just add this for laughs my nephew saw some pictures of my jeep flexed out on someone tire so he parked his little john deere riding power wheels thing up on my lawn tractor like he saw in the pictures, i just thought it was funny

and again im open to any suggestions for a light bar or original idea for mounting the lights
thanks guys!
Unread 06-20-2010, 06:42 AM   #8
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

What about light tabs welded to the front of the basket???? That is what I do for my baskets. I weld a 2" X 1" X 1/8" tab that has a 1/2" hole in the front half of the tab and then the corners are rounded.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2010, 11:53 AM   #9
ImpactFabWorks
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I usually build racks with out light bar tabs unless they ask for them. But when they do ask I just weld tabs straight to the rack. The last one I built, the guy mounted the light upside down and it looked really good.

www.Impact-FabWorks.com

Impact-FabWorks Facebook

Please fill out your profile, It helps us help you!!!

Last edited by ImpactFabWorks; 06-20-2010 at 02:28 PM..
ImpactFabWorks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2010, 01:41 PM   #10
DannyRoark89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

ya thats probably what i will end up doing is just making little tabs for the front i just thought it would be sweet looking to bend that tubing to go over the lights and give it that pre-runner look, but i may not have had it all planned out right in my head and i think that 2" tube is just going to look goofy unless i built it like most pre runners and actually had i it mounted to the top of the basket and able to fold down inside of it the basket when they're not in use but i think that may be getting a little tall.
Unread 06-20-2010, 03:08 PM   #11
Unii
1995 YJ Wrangler 

yeah that tube is big, check out my build thread i made a cage for my lights you might like it.
Unii is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2010, 03:31 PM   #12
DannyRoark89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

thanks man im probably going to go with something like that, great build too! i really like the idea of having the lights behind the cage setup like you have and i have enought 1"x1" tubing todo something like that so again thanks for the tip man!!
Unread 06-20-2010, 09:30 PM   #13
DannyRoark89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

may have finally finished for now, im going camping in a few days so i am going to paint it tomorrow just with the light tabs no bar or cage around the lights at all yet here is it pretty much done with the lights mocked up on it, will also be putting 2 55W lights on the back of the basket will build those tomorrow then spend the rest of the day prepping it for paint and painting it, weather permitting its be an incredibly wet winter in the northwest so we'll see.
ill post some more pictures tomorrow when it gets painted and on the jeep

Unread 06-21-2010, 03:18 AM   #14
ChiliPalmer
This is Ames Mister...

1984 XJ Cherokee 

Very well done!

Need a server? Buy this one!

COTM - October 2012!

If you want to help the sport of offroading visit the EnviroBeat Forum!

Blue Ribbon Coalition | Idaho State 4x4 Association | UFWDA | NAXJA | The KAT Team!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows View Post
Oh man Chili. I feel like a recovering addict that just had a bag of blow, a bottle of Jameson, and a sack dropped in his lap. You screwed me man!
ChiliPalmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2010, 09:57 PM   #15
DannyRoark89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

here what it looks like painted, will post some more pictures tomorrow when i get the lights put on the front.

Tags
gutter , mounts , rack , roof , roofrack , xj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.