xj chop top question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > xj chop top question

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-10-2013, 03:59 AM   #1
ontarioXJ

xj chop top question

I have been seeing a lot of xj's with their rear half of the roofs chopped off like the H2 with the mini truck bed.

just curious if I do any kind of chopping like this to my xj, will it weaken it?
or is it like a pickup? can I just chop away?
some I have seen have full cages and some look to have minimal to no extra supports...

any kind of input on this subject would be great. preferably someone who has done this already.

thanks

ontarioXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2013, 10:42 AM   #2
Machinist
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Unless you run a full cage and brace the to the unibody the whole thing will fold like a cheap suit!!
Machinist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2013, 03:17 PM   #3
ontarioXJ

Lol thanks.

Thats exactly what i needed to know.
ontarioXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2013, 04:33 PM   #4
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

XJ's are unibody, the entire body is a structural member of the vehicle. you chop the top, you weaken it.

simple test, flex it out. not a little, but as much as you can. try to open the rear hatch. most likely you can't, the body is twisting preventing you from doing so.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2013, 06:30 PM   #5
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

A full cage isn't necessary but you do need to brace the rear if you wheel it. If you're purely on pavement you can get away with not doing it but it's still going to be significantly weaker in a roll over or crash.

You can cut out the rear of a Comanche to weld in the back to close it off and run a tailgate to gain back rigidity and brace the unibody or you can run a roll bar of some sort from the chop back like most people do. Obviously not as strong as a full cage, but as long as it keeps the frame rails and unibody from twisting too much you're ok.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.