Xj bumper build with plasma cutter - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Xj bumper build with plasma cutter

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 11-28-2009, 10:26 PM   #1
25jon25

Xj bumper build with plasma cutter

I was just givin permission to use a friends shop and plasma cutter so I want to build a bumper for my xj for my new warn to sit in. I was hoping someone had some good plans or blue prints of a bumper similar to these Jeep Cherokee XJ Front Bumpers I know people out there sell kits that you weld together so someone has to have the plans. thanks

Unread 11-30-2009, 05:00 PM   #2
25jon25

Is there any other ideas out there?
Unread 11-30-2009, 05:14 PM   #3
RitterXJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

I think you just need to come up with one on your own......thats why its called fabrication lol. First make the tie-in brackets and make your winch plate, then just build off that what you want and need. Its not really that hard, all you need is some cardboard to make templates. For a plasma cutter make the template 1/4" smaller than what they need to be.
Parts
My Cherokee's very slow progress in pictures:
http://s431.photobucket.com/albums/qq39/ritter40/
RitterXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2009, 05:50 PM   #4
25jon25

if thats the case why is there a faberication section? Your response was useless
Unread 11-30-2009, 06:42 PM   #5
RitterXJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

To show others what youve done and tell them how. If you search, I doubt you will find many usefull measurements, just a lot of pics. Look in the fabrication section on cherokeeforum.com if you want ideas. Sorry to say that not many people save their measurements and stuff unless they go commercial. If it helps, on my front bumper I used 1/4" for the tie-ins, 4"x4"x3/16" for the center section, and I cut my ends out with a plasma cutter from 3/16" plate. My ends bend around the corner for side protection instead of at a 90 degree angle. 2"x1"x6" peices of bar stock with a 1" hole drilled for the clevis tabs.

My ends are made just like those in the Iron Scorpion Bumper Kit
Parts
My Cherokee's very slow progress in pictures:
http://s431.photobucket.com/albums/qq39/ritter40/
RitterXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2009, 07:04 PM   #6
footinmouth47
1998 ZJ 

Its not exactly easy(maybe why they cost $400) especially if you cant weld it right on your jeep, and have to tack everything then carry it out. I made mine, now 2 years later I made a new one modifying my original design because I wanted something different. The second one has taken 1/4 of the time cause I had something to work off of. sorry I dont have an XJ but I do know that my ZJ bumper is a total of 63 inches wide and the center section is 3 ft wide. if that helps.
Greg

Built not Bought member #247

SOLD:( new DD- 04 polaris sportsman
footinmouth47 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.