JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Fabrication Shop (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/)
-   -   XJ bumper build (other models also) (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/xj-bumper-build-other-models-also-1409800/)

8pitcher 08-26-2012 01:39 AM

XJ bumper build (other models also)

i am starting this build thread for a bumper i am building for a local jeeper. i will update as i go on wont start this build for a few days but here is my CAD drawing of roughly what i want the bumper to look like i will prolly make some changes as i go on though. feel free to ask questions as you have them and post tips on some "best solutions" for building these bumpers

8pitcher 08-26-2012 01:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
here is my cad drawing. it is a simple d ring bumper.

straightsixjeep 08-26-2012 06:59 AM

Nice drawings man, your on the right track.

8pitcher 08-26-2012 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by straightsixjeep
Nice drawings man, your on the right track.

Is that about what you were wanting?

straightsixjeep 08-26-2012 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8pitcher (Post 14075469)
Is that about what you were wanting?

When I have the $ to get a bumper Id want one exactly like that but Im thinking I wont need the hoop. I like the look of it almost looking stock/flush with the grill but I still want the d-rings.

8pitcher 08-26-2012 12:15 PM

Quote:

When I have the $ to get a bumper Id want one exactly like that but Im thinking I wont need the hoop. I like the look of it almost looking stock/flush with the grill but I still want the d-rings.

So you just want that without the hoop ok I can do that.

chriskeenan 08-26-2012 12:17 PM

are you using boxed rectangle tube to build it? or are you going to break/bend steel plate to make the main body?

Also, one of these day im going to build and make a thread about mine when i finally get around to it.
http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/...erings/3-1.jpg

8pitcher 08-26-2012 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chriskeenan
are you using boxed rectangle tube to build it? or are you going to break/bend steel plate to make the main body?

Also, one of these day im going to build and make a thread about mine when i finally get around to it.

I'm going to use rectangular steel.

chriskeenan 08-26-2012 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8pitcher

I'm going to use rectangular steel.

Ahhh, ok, well most of the work will be done for you. You'll just have to cut and box the ends, then add mounts.

Also, make the clevis mounts go through the tube and connect back to the chassis mounts. Other wise a strong pull can deform the rect. tube.

8pitcher 08-26-2012 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chriskeenan

Ahhh, ok, well most of the work will be done for you. You'll just have to cut and box the ends, then add mounts.

Also, make the clevis mounts go through the tube and connect back to the chassis mounts. Other wise a strong pull can deform the rect. tube.

Ya I know that's how I made my bumper on my CJ but I welded the whole thing to the frame.

straightsixjeep 08-26-2012 02:32 PM

What welder are you using again? Could you weld up a bumper with a 90amp flux core mig welder or is it not strong enough?

8pitcher 08-26-2012 04:42 PM

Quote:

What welder are you using again? Could you weld up a bumper with a 90amp flux core mig welder or is it not strong enough?

I don't know I'm using a gas powered stick welder on it.

underpowered 08-26-2012 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by straightsixjeep (Post 14076773)

a 90 amp flux core is not the ideal welder of choice. will it work, yes but multiple passes will be required to get the proper weld strength on something like this.

8pitcher 08-26-2012 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underpowered

a 90 amp flux core is not the ideal welder of choice. will it work, yes but multiple passes will be required to get the proper weld strength on something like this.

Thanks. Ya I'm using a stick welder it will get me a strong *** weld. It's the only welder I trust.

straightsixjeep 08-27-2012 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underpowered (Post 14078465)

Thank you for your input, I would have to agree with you.

The time now is 01:36 PM.