Wiring help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Wiring help

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 07-27-2013, 06:49 PM   #1
AtTheHelm

Wiring help

I'm moving into a house that is ill equipped for plugs in the garage. There is only one available duplex outlet on the wall that is only 15a I think. The other is on the 10ft ceiling for the garage door. The panel is on the opposite side of the house, so running new wire under the house and adding breakers will be labor instensive/ expensive. There is however an unused air conditioner disconnect right outside the garage. Can I split that 240v circuit into two 120v outlets? Its on a double breaker, each one 40amps. Heres a pic of the breaker box.

And the air conditioner disconnect outside the garage:

When I do get a 240v welder can I delete the split 120 volt outlets and have one 240 outlet?

AtTheHelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 09:47 AM   #2
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

Best thing to do would be to add a sub panel in the garage then run wires from that. Depending on codes where you live you can install 150% the amp rating into it since you should be running that much all at once. Just remove the disconnect from the loop by splicing new wire to the sub panel thats the same or lower AWG than whats there. I would personally split each side into 2 20 amp circuits and use all 20 amp components.
thantos858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 10:18 AM   #3
AtTheHelm

Thanks for the reply!
Did you mean to say I can install 150% of the amp rating because I shouldn't be running be running that much all at once. If I do install a sub panel I'd probably hire an electrician to be safe. The ac circuit is 240v, on a double 40a breaker. Would I just use one leg of that circuit and have a 100a sub panel? I'm bit sure what gauge wire the air conditioner circuit is, we have only been to the house twice to check things out but we should be moving in about a month. Also would I be able to run a 240v plug off that sub panel in the future?
Unread 07-28-2013, 08:34 PM   #4
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtTheHelm View Post
Thanks for the reply!
Did you mean to say I can install 150% of the amp rating because I shouldn't be running be running that much all at once. If I do install a sub panel I'd probably hire an electrician to be safe. The ac circuit is 240v, on a double 40a breaker. Would I just use one leg of that circuit and have a 100a sub panel? I'm bit sure what gauge wire the air conditioner circuit is, we have only been to the house twice to check things out but we should be moving in about a month. Also would I be able to run a 240v plug off that sub panel in the future?
You would use both legs since they are 40 amps each. You would be able to run 240v using both legs.

Basically the 150% is because you will probably not use even 50% at once unless you run something with a high draw like a welder but with that its off when you switch to another tool. Just get a 100-200 amp sub panel depending on future wants/needs.

Since you said you'd probably hire someone have them look it over and bid it out. They will know what to look for and how to do it safely and to code.
thantos858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 09:17 PM   #5
AtTheHelm

I'd be running my Hobart Handler 140 quite a bit. I think I may try to do this myself after some more research. I have a very experienced contractor buddy who could walk me through it and double check it all.
Thanks for your help Thantos. Btw I grew up in Santa Barbara county looks like you're close to my stomping grounds.
Unread 08-09-2013, 12:46 AM   #6
AtTheHelm

Alright now I'm confused. Went back to the house today and opened up that ac disconnect. In order to run a subpanel I would need four conductors- 2 hots, a neutral and a ground, right? Here is a pic of the inside of the ac disconnect where I'm seeing two hots and a ground.

I looked at wiring diagrams for ac circuits/disconnects and it looks to be right but I'm not seeing how I can run a subpanel unless I'm missing something?
Here is another shot of the main panel on the other side of the house. The air conditioner circuit is the bottom two 40a breakers.
Unread 08-24-2013, 06:12 AM   #7
petey156
1977 CJ5 

That's not the correct wire for a 240v sub panel. There is not neutral wire.
petey156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 09:09 AM   #8
AtTheHelm

Yep you're right. I researched more since then and asked around. I 'could' wire a subpanel off of what I have, but it wouldn't be to code. I'd have to bond neutral and ground wires at the subpanel for 115v circuits running off of it. Apparently current NEC calls for the ground and neutral wires to be isolated at the subpanel and running back to the main panel, which I can't do unless I had a neutral running back to the main pain.

I just made it easy on myself and wired one 230v receptacle off the existing wiring in the ac disconnect. I also sold my Hobart Handler 140 and bought the HH 210 MVP. I can work with the 115v plugs already in the garage for grinders, portaband, chopsaw, etc.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.