Windshield light bar - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Windshield light bar

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 02-04-2011, 05:59 PM   #1
rinking
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Windshield light bar

I've wanted to build this for a couple years, ever since I seen the DELTA bar. Thought maybe i'd throw this idea out there for the Jeepaholic's.

dsc01541.jpg   dsc01538.jpg   dsc01495.jpg   dsc01493.jpg   dsc01487.jpg  

rinking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2011, 06:12 PM   #2
badazztj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

thats freakin tuff!!
badazztj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2011, 10:22 PM   #3
Mudweiserjeep
1970 CJ5 

Great Job!
I am not big on lights across the windshield either but I do like yours.
Can you post up a rough material list? What kind of stock did you use to house the lights? Rectangular tubing?
- Tim
231 V6
2.5"bds lift, 0.75" shackle lift, 4:88 gears
31" Old tires..... need newer ones....going 35"
www.earlycj5.com
Mudweiserjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2011, 07:48 AM   #4
rinking
2000 TJ Wrangler 

2x4x 1/8 rectangle and the side pieces are 3/16 plate, could use 1/8, I only had the 3/16. I built the bar first, figure out how long , I think I was shootin for 55"! I cut two notch's in the 2x4 and pulled it back together and welded it. This was so its not just a boreing straight bar! I bought a light kit for a Tough stuff hood light bar. And I bought the LED's locally. Lay all the lights out and measure two or three times!!! I used a few different size hole saws in my drill press, and a 4" cut off wheel to connect the dots. Dremal to clean it all up and flapper disc. wired it according to the light kit. LEDs tied into the running light switch!
Unread 02-05-2011, 08:24 AM   #5
Jims-87YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Great looking Light Bar! Can I ask how you attached it to the windshield? (What did you use for nuts in the pillar)
Also how did you run your wires into the cab? Thanks
1987 YJ, 258, Weber 32/36, HEI, Custom Sound bar, Hardtop/Sun-rider/bikini tops, 2" Lift, 1/2" Boomerangs, 1" Body & MM Lift. 32x11.5x15 Copper STT's on Black Rock 950 Lobos w/4" backspacing, Still need Front Bumper and Seats.

My build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/my-very-slow-87-yj-build-thread-1137667/[/url]
Jims-87YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2011, 10:55 AM   #6
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Outstanding job! What did you use to make the bends? I'm assuming you have a press brake?
Automatic-258 I6- Detroit lockers front/rear - Superior 1-piece axles, Ramsey Pro 9000 Winch, Quick Disconnects, 33 BFG AT's, 4.10 gears, Howell TBI, DUI HEI Ignition, Ground Pounder Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier Combo, Handen Fab integrated winch plate front bumper w/hoop, ORF weld-in front sport cage.

USMC 1999-2004 Semper Fi!

Hood Hi-Lift Jack Mounts for CJ/YJ/TJ/JK

Torchmate CNC Plasma Table Build / Projects

The Target Man, LLC - AR500 Shooting Targets
jatepper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2011, 11:00 AM   #7
FragOut
2005 TJ Wrangler 

It looks great, but i think it has to many unneeded mounting locations. 6 screw/bolts on each side little much my opinion but none the least still looks sweet. Like the low pro design and the actual rail to hold it in place nice not being just straight up to the light bar. Looks great.
FragOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2011, 11:10 AM   #8
rinking
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry, My wife was rushing Me out the door, so I could'nt finish the last post! I used a piece of cardboard to mock up the side parts. As in the pictures, I laid a couple 4' levels across the top of the hard top and clamped the light bar to it. I put a heavy piece of angle on the levels to hold them down. Had to get creative! I moved the bar around till I liked it. (angled down just a touch). Bending the side plates was a pain. Used My vise and some heat. The side pillers on the windshield are actually quite beefy, 3/16-1/4" I drilled and tapped the holes. 12 countersunk hex head (same as windshield and door hinges) were used so the boltheads wouldn't snag branch's.
Unread 02-05-2011, 11:24 AM   #9
rinking
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I then drilled a hole in the driverside upper corner of the windshield frame to pass the wires down through the inside, and out where the wiper wires go into the dash. I put alot of thought into this, and am pretty proud of how it came out! I would have never guessed that someone would say I have to many mounting points! To each his own! Where We wheel around here, it's usually pretty tight through the woods. Not uncommon to take a big branch in the windshield and plow through it!
Unread 02-05-2011, 12:14 PM   #10
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Very nice work.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2011, 02:33 PM   #11
XJTino
1979 J-Series Truck 

I REALLY like the ways this looks when compared to roof rack light bars using large round light. The low profile design is nice.

But, with this style, it seems like you are limited on what kind of lights you can use. What lights are you using?

Do you have a picture at night with just the roof lights on?

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]"Working with cars is a little like a really awesome date: you start out expecting this to be simple and straightforward; four hours later you're laying under her, panting and cursing, and things are a lot more complicated than you thought."[/FONT]

[B][FONT="Tahoma"][SIZE="3"]I [U]drove[/U] [/SIZE][SIZE="4"][COLOR="White"]okee[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B] ('92 XJ)
then I wrecked him...
So Then...
[B][FONT="Tahoma"][SIZE="3"]I [U]drove[/U] [/SIZE][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Red"]r[/COLOR]okee[/SIZE][/FONT][/B] ('93 XJ)
then I rolled him...
Now...
[B][FONT="Tahoma"][SIZE="3"]I drive [/SIZE][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Red"] Clifford[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B] ('79 J-20)
XJTino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2011, 02:55 PM   #12
firefighter315
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I'm guessing the multiple cutouts on the 2x were to decrease some weight and give it some design aspects? Did you box in behind the lights themselves or are they open to the elements? Great job, by the way! I have a standard "tube" type light bar that I have gone back and forth on a million times on getting rid of it or not. I like the low profile boxed style much better, but like you, refuse to pay for the outrageous Delta bar.

Did you wire the lights to be all on/all off, or for multiple combinations like the Delta bar? i.e. 2 on, 4, on, 6 on..... Thanks for sharing your ideas!
Unread 02-08-2011, 03:56 PM   #13
Machinist
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yet another design I will be coppying for the scrambler!Thats tuff looking bud
Machinist is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2011, 07:54 PM   #14
green_jeep
1993 YJ Wrangler 

now thats BAD ***!!!!! i love it
nice work!!!
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Jeep, Bike, and Street Rod, i NEED MORE money
green_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2011, 08:21 PM   #15
green_jeep
1993 YJ Wrangler 

i keep looking at this light bar and im wondering how u mounted the lights inside the 2X4 tube??
i really think im gonna make one like this, what a great looking light bar!!!
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Jeep, Bike, and Street Rod, i NEED MORE money
green_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.