Winch Plate (how to) - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Winch Plate (how to)

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 11-13-2009, 09:54 AM   #31
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

very nice. damn, now I got another project to do, and some angle to find

Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2009, 05:19 PM   #32
YJake
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Nice build!

I need a way to mount the winch I'm getting soon and this looks like the ticket!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonfan16 View Post
The 4banger only whines because it wants more!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
3 Things to know about the forum: Always PB blaster, Always check the FAQ, Always do a search, and if none of that works, ask Mean Max.
YJake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2009, 10:02 AM   #33
Trestle
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Silly question from a new guy just looking around. Can someone explain to me what a fairlead does? If you were just to mount a winch to a flat surface bumper by its feet would the winch work? All I can imagine is the fairlead forces the cable or rope to come straight out of the winch. If you were to not have a fairlead I would think you could pull the cable out at any angle up or down and would not be limited by the fairlead.
I am sure this is a silly question but I would love to understand what a fairlead does and why bumpers at built this way and not just a winch mounted to a flat surface.
Thanks
Trestle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2009, 10:24 AM   #34
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trestle View Post
Silly question from a new guy just looking around. Can someone explain to me what a fairlead does? If you were just to mount a winch to a flat surface bumper by its feet would the winch work? All I can imagine is the fairlead forces the cable or rope to come straight out of the winch. If you were to not have a fairlead I would think you could pull the cable out at any angle up or down and would not be limited by the fairlead.
I am sure this is a silly question but I would love to understand what a fairlead does and why bumpers at built this way and not just a winch mounted to a flat surface.
Thanks
without a fairlead, the cable/rope can be pulled in a way that would cause it to get dragged over the body of the winch. doing so would cause two things to happen, 1) the line could be damaged by dragging it over something sharp, and 2) the winch itself could be damaged because the body isn't designed to take the kind of stresses the line could generate at those contact points. the fairlead keeps the line from being damaged by the winch and also acts to transmit the side forces generated from the pull into the winch mount and thus into the frame of the rig, rather than into the winch itself.

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2009, 05:07 PM   #35
Trestle
1999 TJ Wrangler 

So the winch rope or cable comes off the bottom of the roller and the fairlead keep the force of pull to where the winch can handle it? Just wanted to make sure I understood.
When planning out your location I see the winch is very close to the fairlead. Is there a distance that these need to be from each other?
Also any advise on the difference between a roller fairlead and the hawse style fairlead?
I am excited to become part of this forum. Great answer in a fast amount of time. Would love to build my own front bumper maybe.
Trestle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2009, 05:17 PM   #36
rubidriver
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I like the work. A lot better than paying Warn the chest of money they want for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigj1974 View Post
your money will go farther in College Station.
rubidriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2009, 11:23 PM   #37
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trestle View Post
So the winch rope or cable comes off the bottom of the roller and the fairlead keep the force of pull to where the winch can handle it? Just wanted to make sure I understood.
When planning out your location I see the winch is very close to the fairlead. Is there a distance that these need to be from each other?
Also any advise on the difference between a roller fairlead and the hawse style fairlead?
I am excited to become part of this forum. Great answer in a fast amount of time. Would love to build my own front bumper maybe.
yup, that's pretty much the extent of it. there's no real formula for the distance between fairlead and drum, the main reason mine is so close is due to the physical constraints of the plate material, mainly the 7" leg of the angle iron i used. it i wanted to space it back more i would have ended up drilling holes close to the edge of the plate and i didn't really feel that there was any room to spare back there. that's why i kept it close to the fairlead. having used the winch more since then, it might actually have been a little better to move the winch back more to decrease the angle of the rope when it spools onto the ends of the drum. the fairlead isn't sized to be as wide as the drum, so the rope doesn't spool into the end of the drum all the time. it's not much of an issue as i can use my hand to carefully guide it over, but i wonder if more room between drum and fairlead would have been better.

as far as roller vs hawse lead, early marketing when the synthetic lines first came into main stream popularity said that a polished hawse lead was needed when using synth line because the cable hawse was too rough and the rollers could pinch the line. nowadays it's pretty much been proven that the roller leads are safe for synthetic, but i would still stay away from a hawse designed for cable. the one that came with my winch definitely is rough enough and also more of a knife edge (not really THAT sharp but definitely not as rounded as the alum version i have on now) so that i wouldn't feel comfortable using it with my synth line. I've got no real complaints about the alum hawse though. you just need to be sure there are no burrs on it if you're running the synth line. don't go alum if you plan on running cable though, a hard pull to the side and the steel cable will start putting grooves in the softer aluminum.

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.