winch plate - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > winch plate

Poison Spyder DeFender Inner Fender KitsCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDJEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFF

Unread 10-09-2003, 10:54 AM   #1
coloradoXJ

winch plate

I have made several winch bumpers for XJ's and Xterra's and now for a TJ. My question is on my XJ and X bumpers they were out of 3/16" with a 1" angle running under it for support. and boxed in with the shell of the bumper making it quite strong. U have looked at the Warn winch plate and it looks like it is 1/4". Any one build a tray yet? What did you use for material? I have a spare tray form one of my old bumpers all ready laser cut with the mounting holes and the fairlead cut out and bent to a 90 so I would liek to use that. And use my old idea of a angle under it wher it bolts through. Think it will be strong enough? Imputs are always welcome and should have some pics of it finished after the up coming weekend.

Unread 10-10-2003, 10:26 AM   #2
dzp

You are really going to need to post a few pictures of what you are talking about. Also, I believe that the Warn Plates are made from 10 or 11 Gage material, which is a bit less than 3/16" thick. I personally use 1/4" on all of my winch plates, and that is a little overkill.
[URL=http://www.dzpdrafting.com]DZP Drafting & Fabrication[/URL]
[URL=http://www.jeepet.com]Jeeps of East Texas Club[/URL]
[URL=http://www.tkff.com]Tyler Kung Fu & Fitness[/URL]
dzp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2003, 09:18 AM   #3
Benjamin Dover
Crossbones

1/4" plate is strong enough for a winch plate??

I am trying to design something for my rig and was thinking I would use something in the 3/8" thick material. I am planning on incorporating 3/4" - 1" thick supporting beams with holes for D-rings in it bolted along the frame for added support, with a cross-member made of 1/4" wall tubing.

Do you think this will be too much weight, or would it be just about right?

Sorry, I don't have pictures yet, I just have some measurements and sketches on paper
Unread 10-13-2003, 08:07 AM   #4
coloradoXJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzp
You are really going to need to post a few pictures of what you are talking about.
Unread 10-13-2003, 08:09 AM   #5
coloradoXJ

Then I forgot to give the details...
I am re-doing the plate. I used one left over from one of my XJ bumpers. Making it use all 4 holes both sway bar holes and the front two mounting. or is that just over kill?
Unread 10-13-2003, 08:20 AM   #6
Cheezer

I think utilizing all 4 holes is a great idea. Why only use two holes when there are 4 available?
As far as the tickness of the winch plate I think 1/4" is the way to go. It's all about peice of mind.

Eric
Cheezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2003, 11:20 PM   #7
RescuedJK
2001 XJ Cherokee 

could you pm me the specs on your bumper I am interested in making it if you don't mind
RescuedJK is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.