winch plate - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > winch plate

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 11-01-2004, 01:16 PM   #1
WAC_Jeeper

1997 TJ Wrangler 

winch plate

Hey, I just got a 9000 pound winch, now I need to make a winch plate. Wondering what you guys with TJs did? I was thinking of using 1/4 inch angle iron. Any ideas? Thanks

97 TJ, MCE fenders and flares, heavily used and reliable on 35's.
WAC_Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2004, 07:32 PM   #2
Scafone
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I made a temporary one for mine before I made my winch bumper. I used a piece of 1/4"flat stock and welded a thicker angle to the front for the fairlead mount. It worked perfectly, but I didn't paint it, so it looked a bit rough.

Fairly easy to do...if fact, if you have the right peice of steel (channel), you won't even need to weld anything.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
--Thomas Jefferson
Scafone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2004, 04:20 AM   #3
Rubicon it

I actually made a bucket for my winch setup, 1/4 flat stock for the bottom then bent 1/4 flat for around the winch completely. alot of welding but it looks good. fastened it to the frame where the tow hooks used to be then bolted it to the bumper (fabbed up bumper).
Rubicon it is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2004, 02:20 PM   #4
WAC_Jeeper

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the replies do you guys have any pictures?

Unread 11-08-2004, 09:53 PM   #5
Rubicon it

crapolas, WAC pm me and I'll come and show ya the bumper, your practically in the same neck of the woods. If your in sammamish right now

mo
Rubicon it is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2004, 09:56 PM   #6
psychedelicdawg

click this link, there are pics of the one I made out of C-channel
http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...hreadid=573703
Unread 11-09-2004, 07:25 AM   #7
390fastback
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Hey psychedelicdawg, just a suggestion, you should rewind your winch so you pull from the bottom not the top. They're not designed to pull that way. Other than that, where the hell was this thread when I made my plate?
68 Wildcat (also in progress)
68 International 1200 4x4
78 F150 4x4 400 4spd
390fastback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2004, 08:02 AM   #8
psychedelicdawg

yeah, I already did that.... Thanks for the heads up though.
Unread 11-10-2004, 01:49 AM   #9
RIPPN TJ
2005 WK 

I used a piece of 33-1/4" long x 9" wide piece of 1/4" plate for my winch plate mounted directly to the frame. It's connect via the 4 bumper to frame bolts and the 2 front swaybar bolts and I just used a spacer to raise the rear swaybar mount up to sit level with the plate. After I got the winch perfectly spaced front to back I finished making my winch bumper and hoop. I've got some pics but for some reason I can't view them right now.
Unread 11-10-2004, 01:16 PM   #10
WAC_Jeeper

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the replies. Nice pics physcodelic, I remember seeing those on JU a while ago, that is similar to what I had in mind.

RIPPN how did you mount the fairlead?

Unread 12-11-2004, 07:21 PM   #11
98JPTJ

WAC!!!!!!!!!

You gotta winch! Sweet!

Movin up in the world, what kind?

If I was back home, i'd bust open the fab shop and real quick like fab ya a real burly S O B...but I'm not home, damn.

Anything else new on the jeep?

Use Channel Iron like Phsycedelic did, thats the easiest and quickest and most HD for a quick and easy setup!
1964 US Army Surplus M416 trailer.
98JPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.