Why did I blow this hole through my frame while welding? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Why did I blow this hole through my frame while welding?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-28-2013, 08:36 AM   #1
Alheim
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Why did I blow this hole through my frame while welding?

Photo below.

So I'm welding my relocated frame motor mounts on my frame during my 4.0 swap, and things are going pretty well. I'm a novice welder with maybe ten hours of practice, and countless hours of welding study & research under my belt.

I'm welding with a 110v Lincoln MIG, using 0.035" flux core (Lincoln Innershield NR-211).

I stop welding to check out my progress, and for the first time, I see that I blew a 1/8" hole right through the frame! The frame is 1/8" thick. This has never happened before, even while practicing and intentionally pushing the machine to the limits (moving too fast, too slow, wire feed too fast, too slow, etc). I also had already welded the other motor mount with no issues.

Any idea why this happened?

I think the weld looks alright. What do you guys think? Is a second pass necessary?

Cheers,

Alex

Alheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 10:35 AM   #2
AGDubyaJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

just stitch it shut and run 2 more passes on it. there may have been a thin spot in the base metal (rust), or your travel speed was a little slow/ machine settings to high. its an easy fix, it shouldnt compromise the weld if you fix it properly.
Unread 04-28-2013, 01:45 PM   #3
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I would've run the bead uphill though. See how you're bead is thin and "sunk in". Running uphill will deposit more filler. Just gotta be mindfull not to sit still too long, or the puddle can fall out.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 05:51 PM   #4
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

X2 on what besrk said. vertical up is much stronger than vertical down, though takes more practice and is harder to get a pretty weld going up.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 07:34 AM   #5
Alheim
1995 YJ Wrangler 

All, thanks for the replies and for the confident boost. I skipped past the hole, welded the rest, and stitchedit up after.

The picture doesn't do the shape of the weld justice - it's actually less "sunk in" that it appears, and is more of a proper filet.

I was apprehensive about doing this welding myself, but in retrospect, I'm glad I did and confident in the results. All the prep work made for an easy weld. Anyway, we'll see what happens once I get her started and dump the clutch!

Last edited by Alheim; 05-03-2013 at 08:34 AM.. Reason: typo
Unread 05-03-2013, 12:55 AM   #6
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alheim View Post

The picture doesn't do the shape of the weld justice - it's actually less "sunk in" that it appears., and is more of a proper filet.
I have to agree with others. The weld seems a bit "thin" to me. And the mention of up hill is stronger is not just someone commenting it is a fact man.

Not bashing, but you basically told us you were book smart, not practice smart in this situation.

I personally would cap all of your vertical welds with an uphill pass.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 08:38 AM   #7
Alheim
1995 YJ Wrangler 

No worries, the input is appreciated. I'll try to post another picture later, if I can.
Unread 05-03-2013, 02:57 PM   #8
spward

1985 CJ7 

But if he is going to go uphill, he needs to watch his temp as the heat will rise and might have other holes to fill.

USN Hull #227
spward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 02:09 PM   #9
jaspepp
2001 TJ Wrangler 

A good rule of thumb is run up if it has flux. Most stick rods as well as flux wire doesn't solidify quick enough and can trap slag in the weld if you weld downhill
jaspepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 08:12 PM   #10
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

It doesn't matter which wire it is..fluxcore or hard wire..downhill is a big no no for the fact you are not penetrating,you are only at most getting a surface fusion with no kind of penetration for strength and a great possibility of just a cold overlap and no fusion,in other words it just poured metal over it and never fused,but looks good....

I would also be the one to recommend cleaning that down hill up with a grinder and run an uphill for insurance,you'll just have to practice your uphills a little more to get the heat and wire speed and hand speed right.

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 03:00 PM   #11
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I tell my son that "Welding downhill is like pouring Lava over the steel." It just flows over the surface..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 03:25 PM   #12
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK View Post
I tell my son that "Welding downhill is like pouring Lava over the steel." It just flows over the surface..
lol..thats actualy a good way to put it

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 07:00 PM   #13
hmantractors
1979 CJ7 

Welds

I would have back grinded some. It's not what you get on it as much as what you get into it. I would run a root pass then capped it. May be over kill but I'm used to pipe welding. My opinion, I thought you did fine for as little hands on experience you have. It is hard to weld rust. Grind it out, fill it, grind out again until you get a solid weld joint. Its all part of the game. Have fun with it.
hmantractors is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.