Where can I buy flexible metal tubing such as that used on lamps? - JeepForum.com
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Where can I buy flexible metal tubing such as that used on lamps?

JKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-25-2010, 01:39 AM   #1
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Mexico
Posts: 219
Where can I buy flexible metal tubing such as that used on lamps?

Where can I buy flexible metal tubing such as that used on lamps?

I have a project where I need to use this exact type of material since it allows to be positioned as needed, and it will hold that shape & position.

It is made of a metallic type tube which can obviously be bent over and over and not break, and yet it is easily bent and quite rigid when in its position.

I would like to know where to purchase this material in a roll or big ammounts of it. I have found a couple of web pages that sell them as pieces for lamps (with some threads on the ends), but the use will not be for lamps and I only need the tubing, plus the pieces they sell are EXTREMELY expensive since its sold as a part...

Here are some pics of the material, I'm pretty sure you've seen it ...

Any help is greatly greatly apreciated

98 TJ, K&N cold air intake, gibson exhaust catback, Bushwacker 6" fender flares, 31" AT, 2.5 OME HD lift, JKS adj. front trackbar, JKS adj rear trackbar, JKS quicker disconnects, JKS 1" MML, JKS 1.25" BL Superwinch EPi9.0, Bestop Sunrider and sliders, PIAA, custom winch plate,
My buildup: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/98-tj-norwegian-build-up-605518/
Originally Posted by RnEmOvr View Post
I'm going to beat gas prices Flintstones style!!
humbertotrevino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2010, 04:19 AM   #2
Registered User
1995 XJ Cherokee 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vancouver WA
Posts: 266
go to any electrical shop and get MC cable or ask for flexible conduit we use it on jobs all the time all though im not a spary ive seen it. seems like it would be great to use to me not exactly what you are talking about but close
DannyRoark89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2010, 07:43 AM   #3
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kingston, Pa. 18704, Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,469
MC cable does not hold it's shape like the OP wants.

I have never seen that type of tubing in quantity available to the general public.
79' CJ7 - 82' CJ8 - 94' YJ - 96' ZJ
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.......
Area.3.Fiftyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2010, 08:08 AM   #4
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 596
Go to a music shop and ask for a flexible microphone boom.

2005 Impact Orange Rubicon
6 speed standard 4.0L I6 engine
Mechanical Engineer behind the wheel
Toronto, ON, Canada
sparkeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2010, 01:47 PM   #5
Registered User
2004 LJ Wrangler 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Texas Gulf Coast
Posts: 1,887
McMaster-Carr Or Maybe Fastenal??
04 L J
Travel'n Gadget Show
PhulesAu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2010, 11:00 AM   #6
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Fernley, NV
Posts: 322
You may be stuck using mic gooseneck. I looked some time ago for that very thing and couldn't find any in bulk so I just bought 15" goosenecks. They're relatively cheap.
Gary D.
Old but having fun
Real Americans drive Real American!
NEVADAGARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2010, 05:58 PM   #7
fratis's Avatar
1991 YJ Wrangler 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Hale'iwa, Hawai'i
Posts: 4,875
the problem you might run into is that they hold their shape but only at limited weight capacity and length capacity. the longer it is the more prone to loosing its shape it will be. usually those short pieces are as long as it will allow.
fratis is offline   Reply With Quote
Thread Tools

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.