Where to buy 3/16" or 1/4" gussets? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Where to buy 3/16" or 1/4" gussets?

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 09-25-2010, 08:23 AM   #1
Coop02x
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Where to buy 3/16" or 1/4" gussets?

Anyone know of a good place to buy either 3/16" or 1/4" gussets? I would prefer to have 1/4" gussets for my roll cage. I have looked at a couple places but the only thing I have come across are 1/8" gussets. I really do not think 1/8" gussets will do all that much (although they are better than nothing).

Just figured that if I am going to get gussets and have them welded in, I might as well get gussets that are going to hold up in the event of a roll over. Do it right or don't do it at all! Right?

Thanks in advance!

Unread 09-25-2010, 08:25 AM   #2
McFatter
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah I am plannin on building some tube fenders for my jeep and I would like to use some good gussets on them to give them a custom look but I want some that will also to keep them strong
McFatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2010, 10:14 AM   #3
Coop02x
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Bump!
Unread 09-25-2010, 11:48 AM   #4
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

My local scrap metal yard always seems to have a lot of both.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2010, 12:58 PM   #5
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Just flat gussets can be had really easy, go to your local steel supplier and tell em what you need and they should be able to help.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2010, 12:58 PM   #6
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I sometimes make my own...but here's a place I have used several times for many of my steel needs:

Contact-us
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2010, 04:14 PM   #7
Coop02x
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
My local scrap metal yard always seems to have a lot of both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wushaw View Post
Just flat gussets can be had really easy, go to your local steel supplier and tell em what you need and they should be able to help.
Thanks guys! I'm not shooting for anything fancy, just something to add to the 90* angles of the cage after welding it up. I just want that extra strength and piece of mind!

The problem is, I don't think we have a "local" steel supplier or scrap metal yard; I'm in SW Virginia which for the most part is pretty rural. The local scrap yard tends to be where people throw stuff in their yard or over the closest ravine! Some of the people here in SW VA are not the brightest crayon in the box and completely lack any kind of class. I can try somewhere in Roanoke the next time I am there. It isn't that far away (30-45 min., depending on where you are going) and I know there are some steel suppliers there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
I sometimes make my own...but here's a place I have used several times for many of my steel needs:

Contact-us
That is what I have been thinking about doing. Just need to get the materials and find a buddy who has the right tools/equipment to do it! I'll check that site out.

But if I can find them somewhere for a decent price, then I'll prob. go ahead and buy them. Just to save some time and avoid the hassle.

Thanks guys for the suggestions!
Unread 09-25-2010, 05:45 PM   #8
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

In case anyone is interested..

I've got a few on eBay.. ranging from 3"-3.5" these are CNC Plasma Cut from 3/16".. between $2.50 and $3.00 (spider web)each.. I can do Plain Janes too.. different sizes.. whatever. Ship via USPS Flat Rate...

Figure typical 3/16" thick "no design" 3" gussets at $1.50 each.. able to stuff about 20 of these into a small Flat Rate Box for $4.95 shipping..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2010, 05:49 PM   #9
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

That ain't bad, my local steel supplier is 20min away.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2010, 09:27 PM   #10
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I don't think you can beat BERK's deal anywhere,as a matter of fact i don't think you can buy the steel that cheap,and then have to cut it out yourself.

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2010, 09:37 PM   #11
Coop02x
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK View Post
In case anyone is interested..

I've got a few on eBay.. ranging from 3"-3.5" these are CNC Plasma Cut from 3/16".. between $2.50 and $3.00 (spider web)each.. I can do Plain Janes too.. different sizes.. whatever. Ship via USPS Flat Rate...

Figure typical 3/16" thick "no design" 3" gussets at $1.50 each.. able to stuff about 20 of these into a small Flat Rate Box for $4.95 shipping..
Hey Eddie!

I've had you in mind. I remembered earlier today that I had seen some gussets on your Ebay site. Gotta love brainstorming while mowing grass...LOL! I've been trying to make it back in to send you a PM but needed to get the yard work caught up before we get all the rain they are calling for. I tend to work at a very slow pace when running on zero sleep (got off work at 8 a.m. this morning and have been at it the better part of the day).

You've got my business! Hands down!

I'll shoot you a PM and hopefully we can work something out!
Unread 09-26-2010, 06:11 AM   #12
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Chris, luckily the hot weather this Summer killed all my crabgrass so I dont' have to worry about mowing this Fall..

It's kind of funny.. this thread made me realize that I don't have any plain gussets on eBay. Sometimes I get "tunnel vision" and forget to step back to get a better perspective. When I started cutting gussets, all I thought about was "what designs can I cut" with the plasma table. The thought never occured to me to just do a run of plain triangle gussets.. maybe of a few different sizes.

Until I got my plasma table, I used to just cut gussets on the bandsaw. I'd pick up a strip of 1", 1.5", or 2" flat bar, set the saw to 45deg and cut away.. flipping the flat bar over and over as I cut the triangles. You can even shove the bar thru far enough that you leave a little "flat" spot in the corner to fit the "already welded joint". Another trick is to stack 3-4 strips on top of each other and clamp them together with Vice Grips. That way, each cut is making 3-4 gussets at one time.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2010, 06:31 AM   #13
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK View Post
Chris, luckily the hot weather this Summer killed all my crabgrass so I dont' have to worry about mowing this Fall..

I know exaclty what you mean..i have 2 acres i cut,when i first moved here,it was mostly river sand,dusty dirt and clay,took me about 3 years to get anything to grow 1/2 descent...
My son's wife has a father that owns a lawn maintenance company,he brought me a 5 gallon bucket of weed killer for my yard,told him i didn't want it,if i'da used it,i'd be back to square 1 with mostly a dirt yard again..lol

Eddie,i'm in the middle of tearin my Jeep down and doin some mods,opening the wheel wells inside up for more tire room for a LCOG,shackle reversel,V8 swap,8.8 rear,etc,,and gonne be paintin it..plus build a cage when i get a tube bender setup,i'll be lookin you up soon for some gussets,i can't even buy the steel and make my own for the price you're sellin them.

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2010, 06:48 AM   #14
solarpower
2004 TJ Wrangler 

get a square or rectangular piece of steel.

Cut a line from 1 corner to the opposite corner.

Yo now have a Gusset.
Unread 09-26-2010, 06:54 PM   #15
abnormal
Platinum Member

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Sweet! Just ordered 8 of the nuke gussets.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.