When to drop the gas tank - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > When to drop the gas tank

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 03-12-2011, 07:07 PM   #1
Jon_Alex
2004 TJ Wrangler 

When to drop the gas tank

I've got some UCA frame mounts and LCA axle mounts to reinforce, as well as a rear trackbar axle bracket to reinforce.

Do you drop the tank when you weld that close? Mostly the trackbar axle bracket is what I'm asking about...

"Convictions are more dangerous enemies of truth than lies." -Nietzsche
Jon_Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2011, 07:24 AM   #2
TDRILL
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Maybe its safer to drop it, but I never have and I've welded in all those areas. I just try to stick something between what I'm welding and the tank or fuel lines. Normally its thin steel plates but occasionally a non flamable blanket also helps if I can't get a plate in there for some reason.
TJ rear drum brake pads
TDRILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2011, 08:26 AM   #3
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

Most everyone gets nervous making hot sparks around the gas tank, but remember, it's the FUMES you're worried about.

You're not welding right on the tank. As long as there are no fumes coming from nearby, you should be okay. This is a time when it might be okay to have a fan set back a behind you a bit and running on "low"......just to keep a bit of airflow. Obviously you don't want it blowing right where you're welding, but just enough to get rid of any fumage.
Pacfanweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2011, 08:53 AM   #4
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Fill the tank all the way up. Less chance of fumes being here. Due the welding outside not in a garage. This allow the fumes not to collect in where you are welding.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2011, 09:00 AM   #5
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger889 View Post
Fill the tank all the way up. Less chance of fumes being here. Due the welding outside not in a garage. This allow the fumes not to collect in where you are welding.
Not to mention that if you DO blow it up, you won't blow your garage and house with it.
Pacfanweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2011, 12:34 PM   #6
Jon_Alex
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Ok, thanks for the replies. I'm not so worried about the fuel lines... just shield them from damage, etc. The tank also has a skid around most of it. I guess I could get a welding blanket and try pinning it up under there to shield everything from sparks.

Unread 03-13-2011, 02:04 PM   #7
Bigbob

I've been looking at doing the outboard rear shock deal and I think dropping the tank is a good idea. I had my tank off to install the Kilby skid and it ain't that big of a job. Good time to get all that muck and ire cleaned off as well.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2011, 02:58 PM   #8
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbob View Post
I've been looking at doing the outboard rear shock deal and I think dropping the tank is a good idea. I had my tank off to install the Kilby skid and it ain't that big of a job. Good time to get all that muck and ire cleaned off as well.
x2.

Support it, unbolt (I think it's like 7 bolts), unplug sender, fuel line, return line, and then move it out of the way. Should take less than a 1/2 hr IMO
What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2011, 06:40 PM   #9
Jon_Alex
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, I guess I'll wait and drop the tank and do all the welding at once.

Unread 03-15-2011, 07:22 AM   #10
yarmish
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Fwiw I just did my shock outboard this past sunday and didn't drop the tank. I put a welding blanket up around where the fuel lines were and didn't have any issues
Unread 03-21-2011, 01:56 PM   #11
BlackBellamy
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarmish View Post
Fwiw I just did my shock outboard this past sunday and didn't drop the tank. I put a welding blanket up around where the fuel lines were and didn't have any issues
Yeah same here, I outboarded the shocks with tank in place.
The top and doors on this vehicle are designed only for protection against the elements. Do not rely on the top and doors to contain occupants within the vehicle or to protect against injury during an accident. Wear seatbelts at all times.
BlackBellamy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.