What is your favorite thing to do fabricating or welding? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > What is your favorite thing to do fabricating or welding?

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-12-2011, 02:37 PM   #1
Krochus
1991 YJ Wrangler 

What is your favorite thing to do fabricating or welding?

Title says it all.

Mine is Carbon Air Arc Gouging. Even after 14years every-time I perform this process it puts a smile on my face (unless my precious flesh is getting burned by white hot spatter), I guess what I like about it is it's unbelievably loud, puts off a tremendous amount of light and rips the hell out of steel turning it into noise, vapor and slag at the speed of light but if need be can be almost as precise as a cutoff wheel too.

For those who don't know what this process is it's essentially the polar opposite of welding where instead of applying metal you're removing it through the input of massive amperage and high pressure air. This process differs from most cutting in that you can remove metal without cutting all the way through a piece

a more detailed explanation

http://www.twi.co.uk/content/jk12.html

OK so that's enough of my favorite, so what's yours

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickgnx88 View Post
"Jeep Wave threads, it's a newb thing, you wouldn't understand!"
Krochus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2011, 02:43 PM   #2
nniemczyk
2000 TJ Wrangler 

So far its MIG welding and tube fab for the jeep. I'm still kind of new to the whole welding thing but I love doing it. I'm sure when I get enough money for a TIG its going to be that.
nniemczyk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2011, 07:04 PM   #3
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

It's really hard for me to say what exactly is my favorite part of Fabrication,Erection or Welding since it involves a wide variety of job descriptions as an Ironworker in the past 30 years.

I LOVE being on a New Construction iron job..hanging iron as a connector for 15 years has to of been one of THEE most rewarding work i've ever done..it's bust a$$ work,but very rewarding after the day is over and most of all..when the iron is "topped out" and yo stand back and say"yea i hung all that iron in the sky"...

Dragging and welding deck on the iron with the guys,crackin jokes,and playin jokes on each other just to make the day go by a lil better and connect that "bond" with each other..

Driving bullpins and barrell pins in holes all day with 8# plus short handled sledge hammers(we call them "beaters") to get it all bolted up...

Welding up Moment welds up on the iron with Stick or Fluxcore totin around an LN-25 Lincoln "suitcase" all day long....

Fabrication shops Fitting up structural iron..or ornamental..or welding with Fluxcore,stick or one thing i think i really miss is runnin JetRod all day welding up connection clips,angles,wing plates..braces...etc..that JetRod is a sweet runnin rod,,practicly runs itself .
Running a good Victor torch all day long cutting,notching...etc..running an ironworker all day punching holes,nipping angles...etc

The Past 11 years or so i've been workin mostly in Nuclear power plants on Refuel outages and modifications,everything in there is done by the book and VERY strict on clearances and welding procedures and finished results.
This is where i "fine tuned" my fabrication and welding abilities,plus i have been sent to many rigging classes through the nuclear industry to become what they consider a "master rigger"..i never consider myself a master rigger..thats just a name for me so they can peg a fault on ME if something ever happens under my supervision.
I have also brushed up on my TIG welding there,and i LOVE TIG welding,but the pipefitters get most of that work as far as TIG.

If i HAD to choose what i was going to do the rest of my career as far as fabrication..i think it would be a hard decision between fabricating/fitting or behind a hood all day running any type of welding process,it's just too hard for me to say i like one more than the other since i just plain LOVE to build things.

I could go on and on about some of the things i love about fabrication/welding,but i think i'll end my long wind here..lol

One thing i will say,i turned 50 last december,had a heart attack and 3 stents in my heart 3 years ago this month...now i can not do the things i used to love so much at work as far physical bust a$$ work...just enjoy all the hard work while you can do it and making good freinds while doing it,everytime i am on a job and as a boss when I see the guys having fun cussing each other,joking and High 5'n each other on the iron?..i get jealous....

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2011, 09:40 PM   #4
Wintermute
1967 FSJ Gladiator 

hmmm... for welding, I would have to say SMAW. It's what I started out with and it's still what makes me happy.

General fabrication, well, I'd have to say designing and engineering. Developing something new either off the cuff in my head or laying it all out in CAD and developing a full design and analysis has to be my favorite part of fabrication.

--Wintermute
Unread 02-12-2011, 11:03 PM   #5
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

the whole deal. I love everything about fabrication. From the first time i get an idea in my head, to laying it out, cutting it up, welding it together to finally bolting up a finished product, i love it every step of the way.

In general though, I love to weld. i take any weld job they throw my way at work.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2011, 07:55 AM   #6
Netpackrat
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Aircraft sheet metal.
Netpackrat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2011, 04:15 PM   #7
baldfatdad

I use to sling iron. Worked from the pipeline to the last nuke plant.
But the coolest thing I have done so far is weld magnesium with hydrogen gas. Got to do it a couple years ago at EAA convention. Both beautiful and scary. Prettiest flame, but if you light off the magnesium you can't put it out.
baldfatdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2011, 05:53 PM   #8
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I really like using my CNC plasma table to cut out "new" stuff.. it's always exciting to see if stuff fits together right off the table.

I also enjoy laying a MIG or TIG weld on a nice horizontal joint.. sitting in a chair, elbows in tight, forearms sitting on the table..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2011, 06:23 PM   #9
scramblered
1995 YJ Wrangler 

When my brother had his own welding shop I would help him with the design and he would do the welding. The guy can weld pretty much anything but his designs were usually kind of klunky so to speak. I like things to be more sleek and aesthetically pleasing to the eye as well as being well built. Dave
scramblered is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2011, 06:42 PM   #10
lakailimited06
1999 WJ 

im still a beginner but i've had a good time making all my skids/bumpers/CA's for the jeep...i just enjoy making things myself even if they look similar to a certain companys product...not even trying to save money by doing it myself (because usually you're not saving that much if anything) but just being able to say i made it...

im really glad i bought my hobart 210 probably one of the best investments tool wise that i've made..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.