What are you working on? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > What are you working on?

Huge Soft top SaleRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 08-02-2014, 08:07 AM   #31
RebelRider
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I bought the spindle from ruffstuff. Everything else is from scratch.

RebelRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2014, 08:58 PM   #32
danielbuck
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Hacked up a small bench grinder and mounted it on my welding cart, it's my tungsten grinder

I bent and cut up the face shield mount so that it would work when mounted sideways like this. I always wear safety glasses when running a grinder, but I figure the extra shield can't hurt. It's getting close to paint time for the cart!

Unread 08-03-2014, 12:20 AM   #33
AtTheHelm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtTheHelm
Got this in the mail today... more pics after it's assembled.
Got it all assembled. I must say Swagoffroad put together a really well thought out piece here. All the parts fit in a priority mail gameboard box, so all 70lbs of it shipped for cheap. With the bottom die as it is, it put about a 1/2" outside radius on this piece of 10 gauge. Probably around 5/8" radius on 3/16" I'm guessing. I'm going to make shims to rest inside the bottom die to get tighter bends in smaller pcs. Can't wait to really mess with this thing!

AtTheHelm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2014, 01:35 PM   #34
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

i want to get the slider kit from SWAG to bend smaller pieces on our Press brake kit. but everything i have bought from them has been top notch, we even use their stuff at work in our maintenance shop on a daily basis.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2014, 01:56 PM   #35
danielbuck
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Swag stuff is definitely top notch! I've got their press break and a few other things, good stuff.

Practicing my TIG welding (I'm still very new to TIG), welding in a square nut inside of square tubing so that leveling feet (a bolt) can be used to level table legs. No filler, just melting them together.

Unread 08-03-2014, 02:12 PM   #36
youngjeepr
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbuck
Swag stuff is definitely top notch! I've got their press break and a few other things, good stuff. Practicing my TIG welding (I'm still very new to TIG), welding in a square nut inside of square tubing so that leveling feet (a bolt) can be used to level table legs. No filler, just melting them together.
If your machine has pulse capabilities. Turn it on and set it around 1.5/sec when you're welding without filler metal (autogeniously) it will come out near perfect.

Utah Jeep Crew

Build Thread
youngjeepr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2014, 06:50 PM   #37
danielbuck
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the tip! I've not messed with the pulsing much, I figured I'd wait until my hand coordination was better before I started messing with that stuff

Also working on some 16 gauge tubing, practicing some joints for the furniture. It's looking better, but I still need alot of seat time practice.

Unread 08-03-2014, 07:10 PM   #38
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

TIG is a whole new world. i too am in the learning process, as you can see from the pics in this thread. Definitely not something you can pick up and get a good handle on the basics in only an hour like you can MIG or SMAW.

I will be practicing on some steel later this week.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Unread 08-03-2014, 07:35 PM   #39
danielbuck
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Yea, TIG is definitely more challenging. And alot slower. However, I like that it's slow, it gives you time to actually see what's going on. More methodical. Now if I could just get my hands steady enough and smooth enough to make nice beads, I'd be set! Laying beads on a flat plate is one thing, but trying to do even simple joints like this where you can't get super comfortable flat on the table, is even more difficult. I can't imagine doing a roll cage with TIG, I've got a LONG way before I do that, haha

Here's the last two joints for the evening, the T joint there isn't looking to bad, might need a bit more filler, it's fairly concave, but it's not undercutting. The butt joint is ok.. not looking perfect, but at least I didn't blow through anywhere I'm starting to leave the piece in position, and work around it, getting some practice with different hand/arm/torch possitions, and even switching hands with the torch if needed. Cause on some of the joints for the furniture, it's not going to be practical to move the piece around alot.

Post up your practice stuff

Unread 08-03-2014, 07:42 PM   #40
youngjeepr
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Not bad. Looks like you need a little more filler metal or just narrow the weld down.

Utah Jeep Crew

Build Thread
Unread 08-03-2014, 07:49 PM   #41
danielbuck
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Yea, I think I definitely need to get the tungsten in closer, if I can just keep from dipping it in there, hah!
Unread 08-04-2014, 04:34 PM   #42
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

once you figure out the arc gap and can keep it close enough without dipping it it becomes easier.

did this today, First steel bead with filler really. Steel seems much easier now after getting some practice with the Aluminum

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Unread 08-04-2014, 04:40 PM   #43
youngjeepr
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Not bad. Just keep practicing and you'll get the hang of it.

Steel,stainless are completely different animals than aluminum. Much easier in my opinion. Chromoly is even easier.

Utah Jeep Crew

Build Thread
Unread 08-04-2014, 04:56 PM   #44
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

i think i can get the hang of the steel pretty easily.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Unread 08-04-2014, 05:28 PM   #45
Cherokee95kid
1995 ZJ 

Tacked up and started welding my front bumper
image.jpg

Cherokee95kid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.