What are you working on? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > What are you working on?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 07-23-2014, 08:13 PM   #1
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

What are you working on?

post up current fab projects in your shop right now.

most recent in mine is a cage in an autocross 350Z

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2014, 08:52 AM   #2
AtTheHelm

Business as usual. Winch bumper ready to ship and parts for a rear ready to cut.
AtTheHelm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2014, 04:15 PM   #3
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

Working on my aluminum TIG skills today. after just over an hour behind the torch today, i came out with a much improved weld, but hardly a good weld.

Corner butt weld

fillet weld, where i need more work for sure

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Unread 07-25-2014, 09:46 AM   #4
danielbuck
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I like these types of threads! :-D

Haven't actually started cutting yet, but here's the rough plans for my new welding cart. I have two welders and two bottles now, so I need a larger cart. I'm also going to put air-filled tires on it, so it rolls around over cracks and cords better. And there will be some drawers above the welders. I measured it all out last night and thought about it for a bit, and this is what it's roughly going to be. Only thing I don't have yet is the plate metal for the top, I'll pick that up later after I have the frame all made up.

The section marked 18" are the drawers, hard to tell in the drawing, it's real rough, haha

I've modified my mig welder to open up downwards, instead of upwards, so that I can put shelves above the welders. the TIG welder will go to the left of the MIG. (that's my old car in the photos) No clue why they open upwards, it's anoying that way, you can't put anything directly above the welder. So, putting hinges on the bottom of the door worked perfectly

Unread 07-25-2014, 03:34 PM   #5
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

a welding cart is something that i really need to build.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Unread 07-25-2014, 03:45 PM   #6
danielbuck
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by underpowered View Post
a welding cart is something that i really need to build.
I'll give you a tip from what I learned on my 1st one. Don't use small casters, it makes it difficult to roll round on surfaces that are even slightly rough. I'm going to use air-filled tires on this one.
Unread 07-26-2014, 10:47 PM   #7
danielbuck
2006 TJ Wrangler 

got most of the frame on the welding cart done! The top is a little larger than 2'x3', which is considerably larger than my old welding cart.

In the last image, you can see the two welders (the bottles will go behind the welders) and the drawer above the welders. Originally planned on stacking another set of drawers under those drawers, but then I realized I wouldn't be able to get any long clamps in towards the middle of the table. So, I'm going to lower the drawers and just use one set. However, the cart is wide enough that I could put the other set of drawers on the opposite side. Would be a little odd having drawers on both sides, I may forget which side things are on. We'll see, if the single set of drawers isn't enough, then I'll put the other set on the opposite side as well.

Man, it rolls so much better with the larger air filled tires. The tires aren't even all that soft, but it rolls so much better.

Tubing is 1.25x1.25" .120 wall. Top is a bit more than 2'x3' 1/4" plate.

Unread 07-27-2014, 08:36 AM   #8
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbuck View Post
I'll give you a tip from what I learned on my 1st one. Don't use small casters, it makes it difficult to roll round on surfaces that are even slightly rough. I'm going to use air-filled tires on this one.
yeah i currently have an off the shelf cart and it is not made for anything other than concrete. when i build one, it will have larger pneumatic tires for when i am welding outside of the garage.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Unread 07-27-2014, 10:10 AM   #9
danielbuck
2006 TJ Wrangler 

even inside the garage, if I hit a small screw or bolt on the floor, the cart came to a hault, haha! This one now rolls right over bolts, pliers, power cords, and cracks in the concrete just fine These are fairly small pneumatic tires, only 6 inches tall. But I think just the fact that they are a little bit squishy really helps. Kinda like airing down offroad haha! They really aren't that squishy though, they don't bulge on the bottom. But I could always let out a bit of pressure if I needed them more squishy, but they are pretty good so far.

We'll see how it goes when it's fully weighted down with everything. Probably going to be 200 pounds of stuff on there, haha The tires themself say 300 pounds at 30psi, so I could probably drop the pressure since it'll be alot less than 300 pounds on each tire.
Unread 07-27-2014, 03:12 PM   #10
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

today... rust repair on an 89 Fox body Rustang

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Unread 07-27-2014, 05:29 PM   #11
danielbuck
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Test fit of the large components, everythign fits fine, ACCEPT for one of my bottles. Apparently not all bottles are the same diameter. One of mine was slightly larger. So.... I had to notch one of the tubes a bit to get it to fit.

So, here's another tip. Don't assume all bottles are the same diameter

Now to figure out how I want to mount the drawers, and where to put the hooks for all the stuff that will hook onto the cage (cables, helmet, gloves, and so on)

Unread 07-27-2014, 06:54 PM   #12
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Don't have anything right now but for the past few months was a bumper/tire carrier build for a friend, some shelves for my Toy Hauler and the only pictures I took was of a winch plate I built.

I have bent two winch plates so I built a flat plate out of two pieces of 1/4" welded together.

wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2014, 07:58 PM   #13
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wushaw View Post
Don't have anything right now but for the past few months was a bumper/tire carrier build for a friend, some shelves for my Toy Hauler and the only pictures I took was of a winch plate I built.

I have bent two winch plates so I built a flat plate out of two pieces of 1/4" welded together.
Tip, for a winch plate, you need to have something other than just flat plate. the edges need to be bent up to add rigidity across other axis, the flat plate is only really strong across a single axis, and not the axis in which you are pulling. Bend up the sides or weld Ribs both laterally and longitudinally to add the extra rigidity needed to withstand the forces places upon it during winching.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Unread 07-27-2014, 08:18 PM   #14
Killswitch505
1990 YJ Wrangler 

built a bumper top plate is 3/8 all the others are 1/4 please don't mind the mess

Killswitch505 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2014, 12:36 AM   #15
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by underpowered
Tip, for a winch plate, you need to have something other than just flat plate. the edges need to be bent up to add rigidity across other axis, the flat plate is only really strong across a single axis, and not the axis in which you are pulling. Bend up the sides or weld Ribs both laterally and longitudinally to add the extra rigidity needed to withstand the forces places upon it during winching.
Have you ever glued two pieces of metal together and tried to bend it?
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.